dublin airport terminal

Does the architectural quality appear low?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 43

Re: Dublin airport terminals fiasco!

Postby corcaighboy » Wed May 23, 2007 10:15 am

Well, having witnessed how the CAA/DAA/Aer Rianta pissed away zillions in building Cork's new terminal and facilities, I would be wary of entrusting them with building anything bigger than a sandcastle. We all know DUB has a serious problem re facilities and needs some action quickly. The problem is I don't trust the DAA to do the job effectively.
corcaighboy

Postby PVC King » Wed May 23, 2007 10:19 am

I don't think that they have been given the independence from Dept of Transport to do it well.

Out of interest how do you rate the Board of CAA?

If they had independence could they get the site right and be trusted not to line their own pockets?

In Dublin we have gone from Aer Rianta who were left to fester for decades to a situation where a World Class Board can't wipe their nose without Martin Cullen hiring consultants to consider the consequences of Kleenex dust.

As we all know nothing Martin touches ever works
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed May 23, 2007 11:06 am

well at least Cullen is unlikely to be back again, labour transport minister on the cards i reckon.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Wed May 23, 2007 11:08 am

Would prefer to see Eamon Ryan if FF are kept out or Dermot Ahern if they stay in

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the Irish Labour party but the SIPTU funding does provide a clear conflict of interest given the work practice reform required at CIE

Bottom line FF don't deserve to stay in given that Che promised utopia and delivered fupp all and Cullen just blundered through with all funds going to roads; no use taking 20 minutes off the drive to the airport if it takes 2 hours to get through it.

Stansted is a dream arrive an hour before your flight and you still have time for a relaxed drink
PVC King

Postby corcaighboy » Wed May 23, 2007 11:14 am

The problems at Aer Rianta stem from the days when Noel Hanlon was in charge. Many of the top management just gave up under his rule and anyone with talent left like rats from a sinking ship. The result has been paralysis in terms of decision making as the present management is extremely weak and are mere puppets in north Dublin politics. The organisation is run from the perspective of what benefits the unions and the vested interests. The users, pax, and the general public get the short end of the stick I'm afraid.
As for Cork, I think that while new facilities were badly needed but the project costs just skyrocketed - which is what happens when there is no good oversight/project management and when the parties involved know the state will be footing the bill! Meanwhile the debate has got bogged down on a political promise (always dodgy) rather than focusing on how it all went tits up in the first place. No one got sacked, reprimanded, or otherwise blamed. The show just goes on, and I fear that we will be heading for another disastrous and costly sequel in the case of DUB's new terminal.
As for the CAA and their management credentials, I have no idea how competent they are although early signs are not too encouraging (hiring another set of consultants to tell them what to do when dealing with HQ sounds like a cop out, and an expensive one at that!). However, I think SNN and ORK should be responsible for their own actions and should be cast away from under the DAA's shadow and let to fend for themselves. At the very least, the CAA will be answerable to themselves and the people of Munster and the whole 'It's Dublin's fault' will no longer be a reasonable answer/excuse. Alas, Cork Airport in particular has many issues re its location (the windiest and wettest part of the county) and if independence comes with a 100m Euro debt the the airport will basically struggle to survive as a going concern.
corcaighboy

Postby Rory W » Wed May 23, 2007 11:49 am

Whilst I'd gladly give everyone in the DAA a good hiding for their ineptitude and the fact that they are more interested in running a fucking shopping centre than an airport ("You can take your time" - bollocks to that I went to get a flight not a side of salmon) the buck stops with the Minister for Transport. Given that Brennan was sacrificed on the alter to appease the unions and that buffoon Cullen was brought in to dither and procrastinate whilst the airport became like something out of the black hole of Calcutta just goes to show how out of touch these people really are. It's a pity you cant throw out the DAA along with the minister.

God almighty anything to do with infrastructure they completely fuck up in this country</rant>
Rory W
Old Master

Postby THE_Chris » Wed May 23, 2007 12:04 pm

corcaighboy wrote:The problems at Aer Rianta stem from the days when Noel Hanlon was in charge. Many of the top management just gave up under his rule and anyone with talent left like rats from a sinking ship. The result has been paralysis in terms of decision making as the present management is extremely weak and are mere puppets in north Dublin politics. The organisation is run from the perspective of what benefits the unions and the vested interests. The users, pax, and the general public get the short end of the stick I'm afraid.
As for Cork, I think that while new facilities were badly needed but the project costs just skyrocketed - which is what happens when there is no good oversight/project management and when the parties involved know the state will be footing the bill! Meanwhile the debate has got bogged down on a political promise (always dodgy) rather than focusing on how it all went tits up in the first place. No one got sacked, reprimanded, or otherwise blamed. The show just goes on, and I fear that we will be heading for another disastrous and costly sequel in the case of DUB's new terminal.
As for the CAA and their management credentials, I have no idea how competent they are although early signs are not too encouraging (hiring another set of consultants to tell them what to do when dealing with HQ sounds like a cop out, and an expensive one at that!). However, I think SNN and ORK should be responsible for their own actions and should be cast away from under the DAA's shadow and let to fend for themselves. At the very least, the CAA will be answerable to themselves and the people of Munster and the whole 'It's Dublin's fault' will no longer be a reasonable answer/excuse. Alas, Cork Airport in particular has many issues re its location (the windiest and wettest part of the county) and if independence comes with a 100m Euro debt the the airport will basically struggle to survive as a going concern.

Very good post.

Tho a lot of Corks problems could easily be solved if they scrapped the CatII landing system and put in a CatIII. I am flabbergasted that this wasnt done as part of the new terminal project.
THE_Chris

Construction begins on Dublin Airport terminal 2

Postby darkman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:47 am

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1001/airport.html

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/media-centre/press-releases/132007.html

So it begins.....
Never was a fan of Aer Rianta or DAA at the start but fair play to them for ignoring Ryanairs threats against a project that is blatantly needed urgently. I have great respect for Ryanair as a company but their motives are not for the public good regarding this project and I would hope common sense prevails on their behave. The terminal will be what it will be - its under construction - so lets just get on with it without the petty childishness. They should concentrate now on the 3rd terminal and leave this one be. Any thoughts?

On a different note this means the demolition of Corballis House - the old house (that looks rather out of place, it has to said) - approaching the current terminal.
darkman

Re: Construction begins on Dublin Airport terminal 2

Postby THE_Chris » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:41 pm

I dont know about a Terminal 2, seems to me that with current capacity (and the fact that Gatwick manages fine), that Terminal 1 should be bulldozed and replaced by a proper one. Two terminals seems unnecessary, but I suppose its at least planning for the future built.
THE_Chris

Postby ForzaIrlanda » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:22 pm

I dont know about a Terminal 2, seems to me that with current capacity (and the fact that Gatwick manages fine), that Terminal 1 should be bulldozed and replaced by a proper one

Gatwick has a North and South terminl which are basically 2 terminals and if we bulldozed our terminal what would we do while the new one was being built?
ForzaIrlanda

Postby dc3 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:53 pm

It does seem that the relatively recently opened Pier C, the only vaguely comfortable boarding gates at Dublin Airport, will be leaving us to accomodate this.

You could never accuse Ireland of forward planning, could you?
dc3

Postby THE_Chris » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Or the mad walk to gate A60, without one of those 'walk faster travellator things'. Wouldnt want to be an old person trying to do that.
THE_Chris

Postby The Willinator » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:51 pm

I heard celebrity Linda Martin will open the new terminal singing

"Terminal 2, Flights on time"
The Willinator

Postby constat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:31 am

THE_Chris wrote:Or the mad walk to gate A60, without one of those 'walk faster travellator things'. Wouldnt want to be an old person trying to do that.

Agree with you about how elderly people would find it tuff having to walk all the way down to gate A60, however, anytime I go through Dublin airport, the two moving walkways that exist already, are either out of order or under maintenance, thus reducing corridor space and slowing down the human traffic.
constat

DA Pier D ready for take off

Postby darkman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Airport's €120m Pier D ready for take off

Tuesday October 23 2007

RELIEF could finally be on hand for some of the long-suffering travelling public using Dublin Airport, as the €120m Pier D opens.

The airport is spending some €250m this year on upgrading the airport which has been making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

This Sunday the public will finally begin to see some return for that outlay.

It is estimated that five million people a year will avail of the new facility.

The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) hopes the opening will improve the airport's image which has taken a battering over its crowded hallways.

Dublin Airport boss Robert Hilliard agrees there was room for improvement: "The best I think we can say at the moment is that it works."

Pier D, the DAA hopes, will start redressing the balance, as part of the overall €2bn 10-year plan for a complete modernisation.

Just four flights will go through the pier on its first day, before it "starts proper" on Tuesday.

"We want to make sure that any tweaks that are there will be worked through," says Mr Hilliard.

Pier D can ultimately handle 12 flights at a time, but the facility will offer only six gates until next April. That's because the DAA needs to dismantle existing infrastructure on one side of the pier before that side can take planes, Hilliard says.

"What we're trying to do is cause as little disruption as possible," he adds.

Pier D will be used almost exclusively by short-haul planes, with Ryanair and Aer Lingus likely to be the most frequent users.

For the short-haul passengers who do make it to the new pier, the DAA promises spacious surrounds, complete with a Soho Coffee Co coffee shop, a Thomas Read's bar and a Hughes & Hughes bookshop. For the plane-gazers, there are near panoramic views of the airfield. It is a bit of a hike away -- some 350m -- but this will be traversed using new travelators through a corridor dubbed the "Skybridge".

Looking at Pier D this week, it's a mite difficult to see much of the vision the DAA waxes so lyrically about. The magnificent views are there for all to behold and the spaciousness of the place can't be denied, but beyond that, Pier D is quite literally a hard-hat building site.

The DAA, however, is completely confident of the Pier's opening next week "on time and on budget".

Might finally be some relief. Still I dont think its going to alleviate the 'dogs dinner' image approach to construction at Dublin Airport.
darkman

Re: DA Pier D ready for take off

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:18 pm

The place will look like a dogs dinner until T2 is completed & road network installed, particularly given that T2 prominently sits ahead of T1, all construction work & associated mess will be on full view for the duration.

Corballis house is on the way down I see... where is it being 'relocated' to?

The existing arrivals hall is in dire need of an overhaul - dull, depressing, shabby - very poor first impression.

Any images of the shiney new Pier D then ?
Peter Fitz

Postby Rory W » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Pier D opens as Pier C beomes the site of T2 - net result: bugger all difference
Rory W
Old Master

Postby archipig » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:03 pm

rory pier D is twice as big as pier c. and we will probably see a temp pier on the site of the new terminal.
archipig

Postby Sarsfield » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:19 pm

So has the massive portacabin aka the Pier A extension closed? I can tell you I won't miss it when it's gone!

And will the flights that used to go from the portacabin now user Pier D?
Sarsfield

Postby archipig » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:44 pm

I used that prefab on tuesday. It really is a big heap of shite. All flights will now use pier D, but since Terminal two will incorporate pier C, that will close at some stage during the construction process and a new pier will be built jutting out from the centre of pier c.
archipig

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:03 pm

Ryanair has been prevented from seeking a judicial review re construction of T2. Given that a judicial review would have delayed construction by at least a year, this is good news. They can still appeal however.
Peter Fitz

Postby darkman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Yes good news. BTW construction is really flying along. Probrably the quickest ive ever seen anything being built in this country tbh.
darkman

Quality of proposed architecture at Dublin Airport

Postby missarchi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Is it just me or is one of the most important projects for this country looking quite poor based of these
low quality images???

this image has potential but...
and this kinda..

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/Airport_Development/Terminal_2/image_gallery.html

going of these images how is Dublin going to become a world class city with world class architecture??
its going to be a mess???
missarchi
Old Master

Re: Quality of proposed architecture at Dublin Airport

Postby JoePublic » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Shall we compare and contrast with Hobart International airport

[ATTACH]6711[/ATTACH]
Attachments
hobart.JPG
hobart.JPG (67.34 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
JoePublic

Re: Quality of proposed architecture at Dublin Airport