dublin airport terminal

Does the architectural quality appear low?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 43

Re: dublin airport terminal

Postby ihateawake » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:06 am

New, enhanced renders of T2 on the DAA website
http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/media-centre/image_gallery.html
doesnt paint a pretty picture of its rear...
ihateawake

Postby corcaighboy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:27 am

All I will say with regards to the new terminal at Dublin is beware! What you see is not neccessairly what you will get. The renderings of the Cork Terminal looked great but the over budget terminal, when finally delivered, was a disappointment in terms of design and user friendliness. In many respects, the old terminal was just as functional as the new one (even in terms of capacity). Interestingly, the new multi-storey carpark was not ditched, whereas the proposed parallel taxi-way, control tower, and air bridges were deemed not neccessary. Nevertheless, despite these parts being jettisoned, the bill for the airport was much higher than budgeted. No surprise there given our recent history of over budget infrastructure projects, but what galls me is that the final product is a huge disappointment. Dublin should get some good project manangers on board, as otherwise the airport there will experience the same problems as Cork.
corcaighboy

Postby PVC King » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:49 am

All Aer Rianta cared about was non-aviation revenues such as parking and Duty Free good ridance if they couldn't get Cork Airport right with the type of money they spent they are best off gone.

In this mornings paper there are reports that a lebanese terrorist may be lining up Dublin Airport for an attack or staging post for an attack (via BBC int service)

I wonder why terrorists might regard Dublin as a soft touch?
PVC King

Postby Angry Rebel » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 am

The muppet who called for that attack did so because "it's where American troops stop on their way to Iraq". Me thinks it's Shannon he meant, but he couldn't even get the call to bomb somewhere right!!!
Angry Rebel

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Attachments
Pier D.jpg
Pier D.jpg (173.81 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
Flyboy

Postby corcaighboy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Thanks for that flyboy. Quick question - Two of the images (966 and 965) show what looks like the same terminal from the same angle, but image 965 has no air-bridges and image 966 has air-bridges galore! Artistic licence perchance?
corcaighboy

Postby Flyboy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:31 pm

The airbridges are not being built as the airlines do not want them. Pier D is aimed at short-haul services with fast aircraft turnaround times and the airlines prefer that passengers walk to the plane as this is quicker.
Flyboy

Postby PVC King » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 am

Second Runway decision due soon see here

I love the timetable accuracy from DAA see here

The terminal is highly uninspiring and the long semi-eliptical walk with no travelators will be a serious ordeal for the disabled and aged not to mention parents with young children who will be baked through the extensive glazing.

I have said this before but will repeat the only viable solution for expansion is relocation of the cargo terminals and the construction of a new terminal at the closest end of the airport to the road network.
PVC King

Postby archipig » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:08 am

Presenting Dublins new Terminal:
Attachments
digibox06.jpg
digibox06.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
archipig

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:31 am

nice work archipig :D

PVC King
Are you referring to Pier D or T2 (or both !) ... my main concern with Pier D would be its impact on the original terminal ... the walkway does open up new views & pay some homage to the original but obviously changes its environment forever.

What are DAA's plans for the original terminal - its long term use etc. ?

T2 is ok, nothing to get too excited about, it could be anywhere & certainly is not the signature building you'd hope for in this situation ... that aside, given the financial constraints & pressure on the existing terminal, objectors should step back & let DAA get on with it.

Ryanair sticking the knife in to DAA serves no useful purpose, not even for them.
Peter Fitz

Postby Rory W » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:16 am

Are they going to run a shuttle bus from the terminal to Pier D via that walkway?:eek:

That looks like one hell of a long walk to get from the terminal to your plane
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:00 pm

i reckon its probably as long as the temporary portacabin walkway to the state of the art ryanair terminal thats there at the moment, which is pretty long alright :rolleyes:
Peter Fitz

Re: Dublin airport terminals fiasco!

Postby PVC King » Mon May 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Dublin airport charges left on hold
Monday, 21 May 2007 12:20
The Aviation Regulator has decided to leave passenger charges at Dublin Airport unchanged for the next two years, despite calls for an increase from the Dublin Airport Authority which wants more money to fund the new terminal.

The regulator said the DAA's financial situation had significantly improved because of larger passenger growth than expected.

He said the DAA would still be able to finance the €570m new terminal, despite charges remaining at €6.34 per passenger. But he said passenger charges would increase after 2009 to help fund the new terminal.

Today's decision is a draft determination and final decision will be known in the coming months.

The Fiasco continues; Aer Rianta or DAA what is the difference?

The passenger just get screwed whilst we retain a third world airport.

Tis a money pit Ted I tell ya
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 21, 2007 3:56 pm

your referring to the pending increase in '09 ?
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Mon May 21, 2007 4:46 pm

The fact that DAA argued that this was necessary and that it was overturned!

Shower of shams
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 21, 2007 5:35 pm

well suppose you can take it as read that they're always going to look for it ...

O'leary should withdraw his objection to T2, his hamburg stunt fell flat on its face. He is part of the problem out there, early construction of T2 is far more important than his petty battles with DAA.

Area 14 opens tomorrow, all Aer Lingus flights to UK will now check in there as O'Leary would fairly typically not cooperate.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Mon May 21, 2007 6:11 pm

The point of getting rid of Aer Rianta was to get people capable of doing things in a clear and logical way.

That opportunity has not been taken and another board of players has been assembled
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 21, 2007 6:48 pm

so are you dismissing the current daa board on the basis of this increase request ?

I would apportion more blame to government & unions for the airports situation.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Mon May 21, 2007 6:50 pm

And the rest; the airport has not been a pleasant user experience since most people were too poor to fly.

Aer Rianta or DAA please tell me what they have changed. Other than an agreement for sale on their stake in Brumm airport which incidently is a far more pleasurable experience than Dublin despite Birmingham being a dump in comparision in urban terms
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Whether it was aer rianta or daa both could do shag all in real terms until government finally gave approval for T2.

Since final approval came, DAA have moved pretty quickly IMO to get this thing through the design/planning stages & i'm prepared to give them a break.

Architecturally T2 is sterile & little more than standard, not at all what i'd want as Ireland's main point of entry but given the severe capacity pressure there's no time for more than this off the shelf solution.

O'Leary's objection is wreckless, not that he gives a toss.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Mon May 21, 2007 7:39 pm

Che Breanan announced the establishment of the DAA as a brave new dawn and a watershed where things would actually happen:

Fast forward almost 4 years later what exactly has changed for the passenger?

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/5550-0.pdf

O'Leary is one airline operator the platform is the real problem

No rail link Irish rail could have had this built if their 2004 Dublin Rail plan was implemented

No new terminal

No second runway

Nada

Zilch

Nothing

Sorry a portacabin walkway half a mile long
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 21, 2007 9:51 pm

O'leary is largest airline operator at da, all the more reason why his petty self serving objections are obscene. Incidentally, he's more than happy to dump his passengers at the end of the portacabin terminal.

Government and the unions Bertie was too afraid afraid to upset are directly to blame for delays only finally sanctioning T2, which includes second runway last year. No point in blaming DAA when they can do nothing without sanction of government.

Pier D wouldn't have been necessary if T2 got the go ahead 5 years ago as it should have.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Mon May 21, 2007 9:54 pm

Blame O'Leary til your blue in the face but

The buck stops with the Government they have done nothing and wasted the time of some very high calibre individuals.

Without O'Leary you would be paying Aer Lingus Cannes style fares for the Darfur standard of service that is Dublin Airport.

One seat in Dublin North dictates aviation policy for the state.

Priceless
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 21, 2007 10:12 pm

I have just said in the previous post and my first post that government are directly to blame, but now when a decision is finally made, this shit head comes along to stall the whole show for his own ends.
Peter Fitz

Postby bosco » Wed May 23, 2007 7:23 am

PVC King wrote:Che Breanan announced the establishment of the DAA as a brave new dawn and a watershed where things would actually happen:

Fast forward almost 4 years later what exactly has changed for the passenger?

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/5550-0.pdf

O'Leary is one airline operator the platform is the real problem

No rail link Irish rail could have had this built if their 2004 Dublin Rail plan was implemented

No new terminal

No second runway

Nada

Zilch

Nothing

Sorry a portacabin walkway half a mile long

Which is more than Cork gets! Passengers in Cork would no doubt be delighted with portacabins instead of a similar walk out on the tarmac in the rain.

I agree though, the current mess is no better than the old days.
bosco

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland