Alto Vetro, grand canal docks, dublin

Re: Alto Vetro, grand canal docks, dublin

Postby Briain » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:02 am

AndrewP wrote:This looks good, but the roof is a let-down. You can't see from the pic, but the (presumably) service structures on the other side are a rather ugly black-and chrome thingy that kind of spoils the otherwise sleek finish.

The roof is a public decking type place. No service elements to be seen AFAIK.
Briain

Postby Andrew Duffy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:13 am

JoePublic wrote:the various pictures of this building from Barrow street always show beautiful cobbled street and lovely mature trees on the footpaths. Is this improvement works part of the development?

The footpath probably will be (like the Gasworks opposite), but not the road. According to one of their planners, DCC will be improving the street (possibly with cobbles like Grand Canal Quay) and planting trees once the three remaining major developments are finished - this one, Boland's and the extension of Gordon House they approved a few weeks ago. Apparently trees help reduce the effect of wind at ground level due to the fairly high buildings. Of course, I'd like them to fix the street now, but it would just end up torn up again.
Andrew Duffy

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:22 am

Graham H wrote:Very elegant facade treatment, if the arrangement of footprints a bit weird in this view. A wider selection of imagery would probably reveal all.

Does this mean the curvy side bit will get the same facing treatment? I can't seem to match the two.

Is this a completely new design ? like Graham, i can't square it with the old curvy job (pardon pun), if not, what side are we looking at here ! ? Quite like it btw.
Peter Fitz

Postby The Denouncer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Peter FitzPatrick wrote:Is this a completely new design ? like Graham, i can't square it with the old curvy job (pardon pun), if not, what side are we looking at here ! ? Quite like it btw.

Its facing Barrow St. by the looks of it. I'm based the other side of the DART station keeping an eye on it. Whats the story with the Bolands development anyway.
The Denouncer

Postby Pepsi » Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 pm

have they started to construct a concrete pile on the montevetro site yet? haven't been in this area in a while.
Pepsi

Postby Andrew Duffy » Sun May 25, 2008 8:40 pm

Just excavations and piling.
Andrew Duffy

Postby notjim » Wed May 28, 2008 12:53 am

"Development work has just begun" according to today's Times.

Work starts on 63-metre tower beside the Dart in south docklands

DEVELOPMENT WORK has just begun on a 15-storey office tower next to Grand Canal Dock Dart station on Barrow Street in Dublin 4.

The landmark Montevetro block is being developed by Treasury Holdings on a half-acre sidings site originally used by CIÉ to refuel trains. Treasury has taken a 999-year lease on the property and entered a rent-sharing agreement with the State company.

The building will stand 63 metres above the dock and will have a floor area of over 18,580sq m (200,000sq ft).

Mark Pollard, Treasury's director of development, says the fully flexible floor plates will average 1,579sq m (17,000sq ft) while three penthouse floors will each have 650sq m (7,000sq ft). One of the features is to be a huge south-facing terrace extending to one-fifth of an acre on the 11th floor - about 50 metres above ground level.

The block, which will be ready for fit-out early in 2010, is expected to be of interest to Google if it proceeds with plans to greatly expand its operation in Dublin.

Google is based on the opposite side of Barrow Street, a street that is due to be substantially upgraded by developers in the area.

The letting agents for Montevetro are HT Meagher O'Reilly and Jones Lang LaSalle.
© 2008 The Irish Times
notjim

Postby Pepsi » Thu May 29, 2008 10:53 am

63 metres will make it slightly higher than liberty hall. :)
Pepsi

Postby PTB » Thu May 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Will that mean that it it's the tallest building in the city by the time it's finished?
PTB

Postby paul h » Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Liberty Hall is 59m methinks.

I took a cycle down docklands way today, i haven't been around there in some time, my oh my what an embarrassing waste of land.
In my non expert opinion nothing really more than finance-related warehouses, with some fancy glazing here and there
paul h

Postby cgcsb » Thu May 29, 2008 6:50 pm

The watch tower in point village will be finished before it, I think, so it won't be the tallest building in the city
cgcsb

Postby cgcsb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:07 pm

how's this project progressing? has the lift shaft gone up yet? It'll be interesting to see this building completed in the line of site with altro vetro and the other high rise in the grend canal dock (think it's called Charlott's Quay something or other). One might even get the impression of density
cgcsb

Postby Morlan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35 pm

notjim wrote:Google is based on the opposite side of Barrow Street, a street that is due to be substantially upgraded by developers in the area.

Is Barrow Street going to lose what's left of it's cobbles?
Morlan

Postby JoePublic » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Morlan wrote:Is Barrow Street going to lose what's left of it's cobbles?

As a Barrow street native, I can say there's not a cobble in sight, only random ugly stripes of tar, conrete and potholes.
JoePublic

Postby Morlan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:14 pm

JoePublic wrote:As a Barrow street native, I can say there's not a cobble in sight, only random ugly stripes of tar, conrete and potholes.

I could have sworn Barrow Street had patches of cobbles, at lease in the past 5 years.
Morlan

Postby cubix » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:26 am

So work on this has started,some good news for once,will be much appreciative if someone can provide snaps of this construction.
cubix

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:50 am

Morlan wrote:I could have sworn Barrow Street had patches of cobbles, at lease in the past 5 years.

I thought so too, at least at the southern end. I seem to remember it being a very uncomfortable road to cycle down, though I haven't used it recently.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby mambo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:55 am

Anyone know what the story is with the Alto Vetro tower. All the apartments seem to be fitted out with identical white sofas and white lampstands, but there's a little work still being done on the ground floor?

Is anyone living there yet? Haven't seen anyone on the balconies (apart from a few naked people posing at the weekend :) )
Were the apartments all sold off the plans? If so, why is no-one moving in?
If not, it could be a hard sell in the current climate...
mambo

Postby mambo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:57 am

In answer to my own question:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/hot-property-exclusive-glass-homes-only-available-to-let-1412414.html

hot property: exclusive glass homes only available 'to let'

IRELAND'S first block of homes made entirely from glass has just been put on the market, but not to buy.

The Alto Vetro residential tower in Grand Canal Quay was billed as "the most beautiful building in Dublin" but hopes of owning an apartment there anytime soon are futile.

The owners of the 27-metre addition to Dublin's skyline, Treasury Holdings, will only release the 26 apartments onto the letting market.

The "sumptuous landmark tower" rises over Dublin city's skyline and overlooks the Grand Canal Basin with panoramic views of Dublin Bay extending from Howth Head to Killiney Bay.

But while it was originally thought that the "stylish and elegant" apartments, including two penthouses would go on the market for more than €500,000 each, Treasury Holdings now say that they will only be leased.

A spokesperson confirmed to the Herald that the long-term plan is to only rent the apartments and that they will stay under the ownership of the Treasury Holdings who built them.

A reason has not been given as to why the apartment will not be put up for sale, although the plummeting market means that they would be worth a lot less than expected when building began last year.

The apartments have monthly rents of between €2,500 and €3,500, depending on the floor level. The three-level penthouse will set you back €8,000 a month.
mambo

Postby Andrew Duffy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:34 am

It's a lot taller than 27 metres. 47, surely?
Andrew Duffy

Postby cubix » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Must be a typing error,as stated above its 63m or quite similar to liberty hall.
cubix

Postby JoePublic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:50 pm

ctesiphon wrote:I thought so too, at least at the southern end. I seem to remember it being a very uncomfortable road to cycle down, though I haven't used it recently.

Just double checked, definitely zero cobbles.

I'm not surprised you had difficulty cycling down Barrow Street, it really is in an apalling state. And to think it is the entrance to the South Docklands by rail, not to mention the European headquarters by probably our most prestigious American company. It says alot about how the local government in Dublin cares for the city.
JoePublic

Postby shweeney » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:19 am

cubix wrote:Must be a typing error,as stated above its 63m or quite similar to liberty hall.

different building - Alto Vetro is the recently completed apartment tower, Monte Vetro is the just commenced 63m office block.
shweeney

Postby Pepsi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:06 pm

we all know the economy is in trouble so are they going to continue with construction of montevetro? it hasn't been mentioned in a while. i kinda like what i have seen of montevetro's images.
Pepsi

Postby cgcsb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Morlan wrote:This money-making clump of spew has been approved.

This was proposed:

is this still the design?

http://www.treasuryholdings.com/projectDetail.aspx?id=73

some more pictures of it, they're a bit small and hard to see though
cgcsb

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland