toilets in dublin bars - well designed?????

toilets in dublin bars - well designed?????

Postby wayne6 » Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:38 pm

'designer'bars in dublin are a showcase for design talent.
how much thought/work has gone into the design of toilets in these bars of dublin?
wayne6

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:02 pm

used to work in pub design myself years ago.... toilets are always an afterthought - shyte man we have to comply with a minimum standard and cheap cost .....

nicest ones of recent times for me have been the toilets in GUBU....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paolo » Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:26 pm

The worst toilet design I have seen in a long time was in the now-defunct Chocolate Bar. The urinal wall was basically mild steel sheeting, by the look of it. Water was then cascaded down into the trough. But unfortunately the drop was sheer and unbroken and the splash factor was such that it was dangerous to stand near it! The cubicles were located either side of the trough so that when exiting the cubicle you had to be very careful to look down only! I only went to the bar once but it was enough to keep me away. Strange design to say the least.
But the best layout and design in the world is useless when there is no hot water or the hot tap only stays depressed for two microseconds and the skin is taken off your hand from the 5 gallons of scalding water that gushes forth during that time. Grrr.
Paolo

Postby Rita Ochoa » Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:06 am

And what about women´s toilets?... I´ve noticed that in Dublin, apart from the lack of privacy, there´s no space left near the handswashers for make up or keep your bag while you wash your hands... and if there is, it´s always wet!!! but maybe i´ve just been on the worst places...
Rita Ochoa

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:57 am

there's a bar on Dame Street - cannot remember the name - and the ladies cubicles have their own sinks etc inside. Nice idea but hardly space efficent.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Ireland