Dear Auld O'Connell Street, Dublin

Dear Auld O'Connell Street, Dublin

Postby GregF » Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:59 am

Please! Please! Please!.... will they ever get their fingers out and start the refurbishment work on O' Connell Street. Another 'Summer' (that's debatable) has come and almost gone with the tourists and our premier street looks ........well ugh!
Those new timber flower boxes too look rather
ill fitting.... a bit too rustic for a metropolis.

Anyone seen too Henry and Mary Streets of late ....the 2 million pound repaving jobs looks filthy.....they don't even bother to blast wash them anymore....What a waste of money.
On second thoughts maybe leave O'Connell Street as it is ...a true reflection of ourselves.
GregF
Old Master

Postby PaulC » Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:48 pm

I agree with you Greg. Although I think work is due to start on erecting the new monument in September - this is supposed to be completed early next year. Once that is up work will be carried out on the footpaths.
Although at the same time I would not bet my house on it.

[This message has been edited by PaulC (edited 31 August 2001).]
PaulC

Postby GregF » Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:59 am

Did'nt O'Connell Street, the GPO et al look really well yesterday with the military funeral of the 10 Irish patriots. It brought an air of solemnity and respect to this important central point of the city. The military parades of London and Paris or indeed any other major city came to mind......maybe we should have a military parade every year. It imbues a sense of
pride....in the city and nation, I think. ( we had Easter parades before but they were stopped due to obvious reasons)...but I mean our military might is not strong at all (a fizzbag rating)....but the pagentry and colour of such a parade would add extra colour to Dublin city ....another event on the calendar ....as well as the Paddy's Day parade...for the natives and tourists.

Also does'nt it look much better that the trees were removed from the front of the GPO. This building can now be clearly displayed.The proposed plaza concept for it's front is a marvellous idea.
The island on the middle of O'Connell Street was greatly overgrown with trees too...it is good to see that they are being thinned out and a more planned planting system is proposed. When the O'Connell Street upgrading is complete, Spire and all, it will truely look stylishly European.

[This message has been edited by GregF (edited 15 October 2001).]
GregF
Old Master

Postby CTR » Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:22 pm

What's a 'fizzbag rating' ?! What a wonderful phrase...where does it come from?
CTR

Postby GregF » Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:39 pm

I suppose it could be termed 'colloquial'....as in the contemporary saying 'there is more strength in a fizzbag'...... common down my way.

Cheers!
GregF
Old Master

Postby PaulC » Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:56 pm

GregF - I was thinking the same thing myself yesterday as I watched the cermony. Now if only the Corporation would get a move on with their excellent plan for the street.
I too would certainly support the idea of a military parade - I am sure it would also be a big morale booster for the army.
PaulC

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:21 pm

whoever is in charge of planting trees in Dublin should be shot, it seems they are planted in such a way as to divide streets and obsqure vistas...trees are obviously an important part of any streetscape, however the trees in the middle of O'Connell street
really do very little for the street. Its grand proportions (i'm referring mainly to the street's width here) are lost in the badly overgrown trees that are there at present. Its good to see that the corporation have copped on and will plant new trees on either side as part of the regeneration, where they should be.

Likewise in College Green, 4 fairly large trees planted in the middle island around the Grattan monument obstruct the view of the college's facade from the Dame street end and of course completely swallow up the monument itself.

[This message has been edited by Peter FitzPatrick (edited 17 October 2001).]
Peter Fitz

Postby MG » Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:29 pm

There has long been a feeling in Dublin Corporation and councils around the country that civic space = a few trees
MG

Return to Ireland