New Advertising in Dublin

Re: You thought Dublin's streets were cluttered already?

Postby jimg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:13 pm

I heard today that 109 of the 120 applications have been granted. :( :mad:
jimg

Postby StephenC » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 am

From today's paper

Ad space exchanged for 500 bikes
Olivia Kelly

Dublin City Council has granted one of the world's largest advertising companies permission to erect some 130 advertising panels across the city for 15 years, in exchange for 500 bicycles and four public toilets.

The bicycles are to be available for the public to rent, at a fee yet to be decided, by the end of the year, subject to approval of the planning permission for the advertising by An Bord Pleanála.

The contract with advertisers JC Decaux will see free-standing panels ranging from 2sq m (6.5sq ft) - approximately the size of a bus shelter advertisement - to 7sq m (23sq ft) placed on prominent sites, including Henry Street, Liffey Street and Smithfield Plaza.

JC Decaux had originally applied for approximately 150 panels, including several on O'Connell Street, but withdrew a number of applications including all those on O'Connell Street, following a large volume of objections.

However, it is likely that a number of permissions approved by the council will be appealed to An Bord Pleanála, particularly those in the high-footfall shopping areas of the city.

The details of the contract have not been disclosed, but it is estimated that the advertising space sold on the panels would be worth at least €1 million every year to JC Decaux.

The council will receive no money from the advertising, but in addition to the bicycles and toilets, will get a number of signposts, freestanding maps and "heritage trail" posts. The council also has a commitment from JC Decaux that it will remove its large advertising hoardings from the city.

While it was a "small victory" that the company had withdrawn its application for the O'Connell Street panels, Labour councillor Emer Costello said she was very disappointed that permission was granted for most of the panels.

"It is particularly disappointing for Smithfield, where the whole point was to have an open plaza. It will deface the civic space to have the beautiful vista littered with these polls."

The deal struck with JC Decaux was not properly presented to the councillors before it was agreed, she said.

"This scheme wasn't properly debated with the city councillors and I will be a lot more mistrustful of proposals like this in the future. We have sold ourselves short for 500 bikes and a couple of toilets and I don't think it was worth it."

However, fellow Labour councillor and long-time proponent of a city bike scheme, Andrew Montague, said the bicycles could make a substantial impact on city traffic.

"I'm delighted that the council granted planning permission, it's the first step to getting this up and running."

JC Decaux was operating a similar scheme in Lyon in France and it had proved extremely popular, he said.

"In Lyon, the traffic in the city reduced by 10 per cent after the bike scheme was introduced. If we got half of that or and significant reduction in traffic, from my point of view, it will have been worth it."

© 2007 The Irish Times
StephenC
Old Master

Postby newgrange » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:38 am

It's not over til it's over.
We'll see what An Bord Pleanála have to say. In at least one case DCC have given permission for one of these edifying structures to be put on a protected structure.
newgrange

Postby hutton » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:37 pm

newgrange wrote:It's not over til it's over.
We'll see what An Bord Pleanála have to say. In at least one case DCC have given permission for one of these edifying structures to be put on a protected structure.

Damn right. This is far from over. I must say the I Times coverage of this has been worse than desperate - apparently no understanding of the basics of this - a shame, as that paper used to be good re Dublin + environment issues, but not any more :(

Re Andrew Montague & "I'm delighted that the council granted planning permission, it's the first step to getting this up and running" - he did not even know about the billboards, or the disproportionality of their locations until Feb. Well done Andrew - good man for pressing ahead a dubious scheme, where neither the environmental impact nor cost-benefit has been transparently assessed - and hats off for supporting a contract to which you are being denied access. Gobshite :mad:

Btw has anybody else noticed the new, eh, "upgraded" litter bins that are being installed by DCC? It would appear that they are to replace the existing blue metal bins, with imo a rather second rate standard of unit.
Happily theres a little plastic panel on the side into which commercials/ "civic information" can be inserted. Excellent; think product placement! But in all seriousness who or what corporate identity would want to be associated with litter bins? It really is bottom-of-the-barrel tawdry shite... Anyway a pint on for the best suggestion of the most appropriate advert/ infomercial - my own suggestion is a groovy logo of 3 castles with the caption "This Council is Rubbish", under which in italics can read "happy is the obedient citizen". Ah the irony :rolleyes: .
hutton

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:57 pm

I love the quote "In Lyon, the traffic in the city reduced by 10 per cent after the bike scheme was introduced. If we got half of that or and significant reduction in traffic, from my point of view, it will have been worth it."

if 500 bikes can reduce traffic by 5%, Dublin really does NOT have a traffic problem....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:59 pm

They might be tandems
PVC King

Postby phil » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:05 pm

hutton wrote:Anyway a pint on for the best suggestion of the most appropriate advert/ infomercial - my own suggestion is a groovy logo of 3 castles with the caption "This Council is Rubbish", under which in italics can read "happy is the obedient citizen". Ah the irony :rolleyes: .

"One City, One Bin" ;)
phil
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:35 pm

this is all going to end terribly. it'll be grand until some eejit gets a wheel caught in a luas track on abbey street and smacks his head off the kerb and sues Deceuax, DCC, even this website if they can. the bike scheme will be pulled immediately.
sw101

Postby archipimp » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:16 pm

i may be wrong here but were the bikes not originally ment to be free to hire,one of the reasons for the scheme?now their charging a fee,who will get the money deceuax or DCC since the bikes are ment to be handed over to them?

how about "put rubbish in its place" and a picture of some guy throwing the DCC logo into a bin!
archipimp

Postby Alek Smart » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:20 am

Backhanders Boys n Girls.....backhanders.......
Just give it a little time to settle and then take careful note of when and where the SENIOR DCC decision Makers n Shakers go for their holliers.......
Perhaps a change of Moteur,Monsieur.......?

And to rub salt into the gaping wound....the sans culottes have to pay a FEE for the FREE bicyclettes too....
An Irish solution to an Irish problem eh........A worlds first...Imagine a cure for Imbecility !!!! :p
Alek Smart

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:12 am

Paul Clerkin wrote:I love the quote "In Lyon, the traffic in the city reduced by 10 per cent after the bike scheme was introduced. If we got half of that or and significant reduction in traffic, from my point of view, it will have been worth it."

if 500 bikes can reduce traffic by 5%, Dublin really does NOT have a traffic problem....

If Cllr Montague really cares about reducing traffic in Dublin, I can give him half a dozen proposals that would be far more beneficial for the city than this fiasco, some of which would even make money for the Council. But I suspect he's clutching at straws in seeking a justification for a scheme that he probably feels in his gut is 'good for the city' in some undefinable way- y'know, it's bikes! it's sexy brushed steel! it's civic! Nice try, Andrew.

If I've said it before, it bears repeating: this scheme is very likely to fail - or at least to fall far, far short of its target - unless complementary traffic management measures are put in place to facilitate cycling. Virtually everyone I know who doesn't cycle in Dublin cites the traffic as the first reason why they don't, not a lack of conveniently located, reasonably priced rental bikes. And as I've suggested before, thisscheme has the potential to actually worsen the cycling environment, not improve it.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby newgrange » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:40 am

Just a reminder, the deadlines for appealing the decisions on these excrescences to An Bord Pleanála are coming up this coming week.
newgrange

Postby fergalr » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:52 pm

There's a planning permission notice up on a lamp-post on Parnell St near Chapters for one at the mo.
fergalr

Postby newgrange » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Marian Finucane had quite good coverage of these today but again they are being linked with the red herring 'free bicycles and toilets' nonsense.

Hopefully An Bord Pleanála will do the right thing with at least a number of the appeals and that perhaps DCC will reconsider the whole scheme. By all means generate revenue, but not with more intrusive hoardings and 'metropoles' - put ads on bin lorries, dustcarts, staff jackets, bins, all DCC vehicles, etc. - have some imagination.
newgrange

Reminder - Deadline Tuesday!!!

Postby hutton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:38 pm

hutton wrote:Re Andrew Montague & "I'm delighted that the council granted planning permission, it's the first step to getting this up and running" - he did not even know about the billboards, or the disproportionality of their locations until Feb. Well done Andrew - good man for pressing ahead a dubious scheme, where neither the environmental impact nor cost-benefit has been transparently assessed - and hats off for supporting a contract to which you are being denied access. Gobshite :mad:

Dont know whether anybody else heard Marian Finucane yesterday on RTE 1, but there was a 10 minute piece on this, available here, from minute 109 onwards:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/index.html

Gobshite aka Andrew Montague was on along with Stewart Fogarty, who although being an ad man, is most vociferious in opposition to this!!!

Asked about the cash or value of this |(in the 113th minute) Gobshite AM states
"They haven't broke down the figures to us"...

So how again is this such a great scheme when cyclists, ad-men, et al seem to be totally opposed?
Well done again Montague]Reminder to all 3rd parties - the deadline for many appeals shuts Tuesday[/B]

Btw If any 3rd party wants to refer this to the board, but doesn't have the €200 per 1/100th of this project, PM me in that concerns may be incorporated as a supporting letter in one of the other appeals that are going in.

This is all an absolute f***ing disgrace :mad:
hutton

Re: Reminder - Deadline Tuesday!!!

Postby hutton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:04 pm

This release has just been issued by Cllr Daithi Doolan, who as chair of DCC Planning SPC is supporting the billboard scheme, in the abscence of an EIA, and as with Gobshite AM, Doolan is also not privy to a contract's contents.

Doolan is aware, however, that arising out of the duplicitious project-splitted fashion by which this has been made, that comprehensive adjudication by An BP would cost 25K.

Happily he seems to see no contradiction between standing over the DCC/ JCD deal on one hand, while at the same time soap-boxing to the rest of the world about "outrage at hearing costs" regarding Poolbeg.

Who are you fooling Doolan?

[quote="Daithi Doolan"]

Outrage at inspectors ruling on hearing costs

Sinn Féin’]
hutton

Re: Reminder - Deadline Tuesday!!!

Postby hutton » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:06 pm

hutton wrote:
Reminder to all 3rd parties - the deadline for many appeals shuts Tuesday

Deadline closing tomorrow...
hutton

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:36 pm

street furniture deal in Toronto

When ad money talks, civic integrity walks

It's looking likely the city will hand over its sidewalks to Astral Media and its 20-year vision for more public advertising and street clutter
Apr 24, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

Perhaps it's not surprising that a city on the verge of bankruptcy would be so willing to sell off its single most important asset – the public realm.

Though the executive committee, chaired by none other than His Worship Mayor David Miller, has yet to okay the deal, it seems very likely that it will approve a staff recommendation that we hand over the sidewalks to Astral Media.

Though the details are being kept secret, the arrangement would mean Astral pays the city something like $429 million over the next 20 years.

In return, Astral will control all the advertising in bus shelters, information pillars, benches, garbage bins, in short, on all the street furniture in Toronto. It will also buy and own that furniture.

"I'm absolutely certain it will pass," says Councillor Joe Mihevc sadly. "I have tremendous tension about the deal ... but when you're broke and you hear every day that we can't undertake projects we want to as a city, it weighs on you."

In other words, money talks, civic integrity walks.

Mihevc's point is that most councillors will see only money, not the effect the sell-off will have on the streets. After all, the commercialization of the city is already well underway; the TTC has become one vast ad and billboards are everywhere you turn.

Speaking of billboards, it's worth noting that Astral Media is one of several advertising companies that operate hundreds of illegal signs throughout the city.

"Astral is among the worst offenders," says Jonathan Goldsbie, a third-year University of Toronto student and member of the Toronto Public Space Committee. "When their illegal signs are identified, they either ignore the orders of violation or take the signs down for a day then put them right back up. This is how they work; it displays contempt for the city. This is the worst thing that's ever happened to public space in Toronto. We're handing over our sidewalks to a scofflaw for 20 years."

Goldsbie is dead on.

To make matters worse, the scheme will increase both the amount of public advertising (by 12 per cent) and the clutter on the streets. It was supposed to reduce both.

Indeed, the city RFP (request for proposals) was so flawed, it should be declared null and void.

Then there's that nagging little question about the civic government doing business with any organization that's in a position of non-compliance with the city, as is Astral.

Privately, many members of the "Miller Team" admit they don't like the deal or the design but feel they have no choice but to go along with both.

Yet it is the same David Miller who has made city beautification an issue, who has set up roundtables and spoken at length about making Toronto clean, green, urban and urbane.

If for no other reason than that of its design, Astral's street furniture should be rejected. With its unnecessary flourishes, its self-consciousness and slavish desire to be trendy, it speaks of a second-rate city's desperate need to be first-rate. Worst of all are the information pillars, of which there will be 120, which are simply sidewalk-sized billboards.

Where the furniture should be flexible, practical and elegant, it ends up being intrusive, overpowering and in your face.

Finally, Astral wants to put scrolling ads in bus shelters, but on video machines controlled from a central location. Some interpret this as the first step toward moving ads. Imagine turning the city into a television that can't be turned off.

"We're about to see the future of advertising played out on the streets of Toronto," Mihevc says. "Where are the spaces where we can be citizens, not just consumers? When is enough enough?"

In Toronto, it seems, there's always room for more.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby newgrange » Wed May 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Looks like 14 appeals against these have been submitted to An Bord Pleanála.
I was hoping there would be more, but I suppose 14 is better than none.
**edit** there are some more possibles but they do not include the word 'metropole' in their description so I am not clear if they are part of the dreaded scheme or not.

Case Nos. and locations :

Footpath on southern side of North Strand Road, To
West of Newcomen Bridge, Adjacent to Junction of North Strand Road

Public footpath outside 80 North Strand Road, Dublin 3.

Footpath on southern side of Summerville (sic), adjacent to 67-84
Mountainview Court (under reconstruction), Summerville (sic), Dublin 1.

Footpath on eastern side of junction of Bolton Street and Capel
Street, Dublin 1.

The public footpath to the front of the
office of 'John Feahey and Company' at Zhivago's Corner, the
junction of Ryders Row and Loftus Lane, Dublin 1.

Footpath eastern side Capel Street, Adjacent to 74-77 Capel
Street, Dublin 1.

The grass verge on the western side of the Malahide Road, Dublin 5

On the lay-by adjacent to the grass verge on the eastern side of
the Malahide Road, D.5, adjacent to 43-44, St.Brendan's Ave.

adjacent to Trinity College Enterprise Centre, Pearse St, Dublin 2

A site located on the public footpath to the Northern side of the
junction of Ryders Row and Parnell Street, Dublin 1.

Grass verge adjacent to the pedestrian entrance to Albert College
Grove,Dublin 9 & opposite the junction with St. Pappins Road.

The public footpath adjacent to the IDA Business Centre to the
east on Gardiner Street Lower, Dublin 1.

The public foothpath on the southern side of Marrowbone Lane,
close to the junction of Marrowbone Lane and Summer Stree Sth, D8.

The public footpath to the west of the access to the City Junction Business Park, on the northern side of the
N32, Outside Bewleys, Clare Hall, Dublin 17.
(This last appeal was incomplete and is thus invalid).
newgrange

Postby newgrange » Fri May 04, 2007 6:08 am

From today's 'Irish Independent':

Signs are bad for gigantic advert billboards

PLANS to allow one of the world's largest advertisers to erect 130 billboards in Dublin are now in doubt.

An Bord Pleanala has been inundated with objections over plans to allow JC Decaux erect the large advertising hoardings in return for 450 bicycles, four public toilets and street signs.

The Dublin Transportation Office and Arnott's department store are among the objectors who claim that the "metropoles" will destroy the city streetscape and pose a serious traffic hazard.

And if the Board decides the objections have merit and refuses permission, it could scupper the deal between the city council and the advertising firm.

The Board is dealing with 22 planning appeals related to plans to site the metropoles in the city centre and outskirts.

The contract planned for free-standing panels ranging from 2sq m - about the size of a bus shelter advertisement - to 7sq m which would be erected on prominent sites in the city centre.

The planned locations included the redeveloped Henry Street, Liffey Street and Smithfield Plaza as well as Malahide Road.

In submissions lodged with An Bord Pleanala, the Dublin Transportation Office said it would object to 70 of the 130 sites, because they pose a "traffic hazard" and are "generally unacceptable".

Questions have also been raised as to why the council was allowed grant planning permission to a project in which it was involved.

"We hold that this development is essentially a public/private partnership and as such Dublin City Council (DCC) is to profit by this development and thus the matter should be referred to An Bord Pleanala as DCC should not be in a position to make a decision for its own profit," a submission from An Taisce notes.

Other appellants described the signs as "enormous, obtrusive and downright ugly, not to mention a nuisance".

Objectors included Debenhams and Arnott's who said the signs would be outside the main entrances, and would lead to congestion arising from less footpath space.

Owners of the Ilac Centre, Irish Life Assurance, claimed the signs amounted to the "virtual appropriation of the public realm by a private interest", adding there was "inequitable economic benefit to the applicant at the expense of the city".

The planning file also notes that a planning officer recommended refusal for a sign on Capel Street, as it was "a key historic street" with two rows of protected structures.

However, the planner was overruled and permission was granted by the city council.

While the council will not receive any money from advertising, it is believed the company could gain up to €1m a year in fees. Some city councillors claimed they had not been properly consulted and so opposed the plans.

Paul Melia
newgrange

Postby dowlingm » Fri May 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Paul - are you tracking this website re: the Toronto Street Furniture Giveawa... I mean... Contract? All sorts of fun stuff there.

http://www.illegalsigns.ca
dowlingm

Postby publicrealm » Fri May 04, 2007 9:48 pm

newgrange wrote:From today's 'Irish Independent':

Signs are bad for gigantic advert billboards

PLANS to allow one of the world's largest advertisers to erect 130 billboards in Dublin are now in doubt.

The contract planned for free-standing panels ranging from 2sq m - about the size of a bus shelter advertisement - to 7sq m which would be erected on prominent sites in the city centre.

Owners of the Ilac Centre, Irish Life Assurance, claimed the signs amounted to the "virtual appropriation of the public realm by a private interest",

Thank you for bringing this outrage to my attention. My solicitors have already been in contact with the Irish Independant about their virtual appropriation of my virtual name.
publicrealm

Postby Smithfield Resi » Tue May 08, 2007 12:43 pm

I have also appealled planning permission for the sign on the Western Side of Smithfield Market. Odd that this has not appeared on the website - I'll follow up with them.
Smithfield Resi

Postby Walker » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:35 am

Controversial billboard deal with Dublin City Council
Written by Eoin Bassett , The Village Magazine
Tuesday, 05 June 2007

Dublin City Council has struck a controversial deal with JC Deceaux that grants the outdoor advertising company a 15-year lease on billboards on public property, mainly in the Dublin's northside. Eoin Bassett reports.

The majority of billboards across the country are unauthorised developments yet nothing is being done to enforce planning regulations. The statute of limitations combined with this lack of enforcement has allowed unauthorised advertising to flourish according to planning critics.
The lowest income for a billboard is roughly* €200 a week, making for an annual income of* €10,000 a year. If the location is good, or the sign is illuminated, the income is significantly increased, while prismatic signs are worth up to six times as much.
In Dublin, temporary permission is usually given to an advertiser for three years and once a billboard is in place for more than seven years, it is past the statute of limitations. The Council rarely takes enforcement action or forces a reapplication when the three year period lapses, and according to An Taisce, this has allowed a massive amount of unauthorised advertising to remain in place around the city.
However, the number of unauthorised billboards is on the wane, and, while outdoor advertising has always been on private land until now, a deal between Dublin City Council and advertising giant JC Decaux could see that change.
JC Decaux recently applied for planning permission for 120 advertising structures to be erected on public property around the city, of which 80 per cent are to be located on the northside and about two thirds of those in the city centre.
In return for a 15-year lease, JC Decaux is to provide the Council with a public bicycle scheme with 500 bicycles, some public toilets and way-finding and heritage trail signs.
But the deal has raised hackles. The value of the deal to the Council has been called into question and there is confusion among councillors, who have given figures ranging from* €60 million to* €85 million. Dublin City Council have declined to comment on the value of the deal and its breakdown, while according to one advertising industry expert JC Decaux could make as much as* €2,000 a month for each one of the 70 seven-metre-square metropoles they are part of the overall proposal.
Critics like An Taisce have questioned the Council over their failure to take a more active interest in JC Decaux’s track record; a requirement under the 2000 Planning Act. The ad firm has had a number of section five findings against it by An Bord Pleanála since taking over the Dave Allen advertising firm in 2000. These are cases where the Bord has ruled that the developments in question where not exempt and therefore unauthorised.
However, the deal with Dublin City Council is linked to the removal of 48 poster signs, though the locations are unspecified and there is no mention of any unauthorised advertising maintained by JC Decaux in the capital.
One example of just such an unauthorised sign is that of an unauthorised billboard maintained by JC Decaux on the corner of North King Street and Henrietta Lane; yards from one of the proposed sites of the new freestanding billboards. According to An Taisce, the planning permission conditions attached to the building on which the sign is located require its removal. “The permission for the redevelopment of that site requires the removal of that sign, which is erected without permission in any case.
“Here you have Dublin City Council giving JC Decaux permission for three of these free standing monopole structures between the top of Parnell Street and Bolton Street, and around the corner they don’t bother to face up to the fact that JC Decaux already have an illegal sign,” said An Taisce’s Ian Lumley. *
An Taisce have lodged a complaint with the European Commission over the lack of an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the scheme. According to Council planners an EIA was not necessary. This is apparently because the applications were all separate.
Council planners told Labour councillor, Emer Costello that the project was an “environmental enhancement” scheme. She believes there was a lack of transparency in the way 70 applications were submitted on 22 December during the Christmas holidays when it was more likely that the applications would pass unnoticed. Another 50 applications were lodged around a month later.
One of the reasons given by city planners for refusing to provide details of the contract to councillors was on the grounds of commercial sensitivity and plans are indeed in place for similar schemes in other local authorities.
Councillor Tom Brabazon believes that if the deal goes through as it is presently envisaged by the local authority officials, and An Bord Pleanála who are currently reviewing appeals, gives it the go ahead, then it will have much wider implications for other local authorities.
Tom Coffey of the Dublin City Business Association is not just worried about aesthetics, saying “the advertising they are taking down is illegal anyway. It’s very important to protect the brand of the city. If a firm was to rent every billboard we would not be Dublin City anymore, but whatever that brand was.”

THE STRUCTURES
Two new types of advertising structure have been applied for; 70 metropoles and 50 smaller advertising display units. The metropoles are up to seven-metres squared and will stand on a single leg on public footpaths with moving images and back lighting designed to stand out, particularly at night. The DTO has made it known that it is totally opposed to the provision of on-street illuminated outdoor signage as it is considered to constitute a traffic hazard.
Many of the smaller advertising display units – around the size of bus-shelter adverts – are planned for residential zones, and historic, or conservation areas. This is in spite of the Dublin City Development Plan, which states that “as a general principle, outdoor advertising will only be permitted in commercial zones. It will not be permitted within residential zones, historic or conservation areas, or amenity areas”.
Walker

Postby Rory W » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Wow - great to see Vinne Browne and co are up to speed with what's happening. When did this thread start?
Rory W
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland