Dublin Port - Feasible or not?

Re: Dublin Port - Feasible or not?

Postby gunter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:49 pm

thebig C wrote:Gunter, I would like to Echo what you said. However, it is more then just indolence on the part of DCC and other Government bodies which are preventing the port area being feasibly developed into a citizen friendly interface with the Bay.

Firstly, when the Port was proposed to be moved initially to Loughshinny in the 1980s and more recently to Breamore, there was a corus of protest from many quarters to keep the port in the City. Granted some of it was vested interest, but, some was that mindless anti-change element which usually dominates in any planning debate.

Secondly, the proposed incinerator will cement the ports position as an industrial area. I have always had a problem, not with the incinerator iiself, but with the contention that the best position for heavy industry in Dublin is effectively the best bayside location. We are always told the Bay is the Citys best asset, yet, access to it is grudgingly small. To my mind the best location for an incinerator would be in some semi rural locale near Dublin, but crucially, not in an area of high pupulation density. Actually, Braemore if the new port is Developed there would be ideal. Unfortunatly this means moving it from one persons backyard to anothers.....that is only bound to cause more controversy!

C

I'm with you on the incinerator, big C, we had something like this down our way ten or fifteen years ago with a plan to stick a hospital waste incinerator in St. James's Hospital. Around here, you're lucky to get three people to turn up to a meeting to protest at the demolition and redevelopment of a heritage site, but as soon as the word 'incinerator' appeared it was standing room only and people I'd previously considered reasonably sane were pledging in public to lie down in front of trucks.

I dunno I don't get it, I never get worked up about micro-particles and unless it's actual glow-in-the-dark radiation, stuff in the air is never going to kill anyone that wasn't probably going to die anyway.

I can't say incineration would be my first choice, but for stuff that can't be recycled, it's got to be a better solution than ever more land-fill.

PVC will come on now with a cost analysis of the waste tonnage projection figures and melt valuable brain-cells, but common sense suggests that a waste incineration facility is something that a city should have. For me too the issue is location [and to a lesser extent, the reported dodgy contract commitments and higher than required capacity].

As you say, it's another mega-tonne of concrete cementing the heavy industrial destiny of Poolbeg, and with that the ever diminishing prospect of ever remotely tapping the recreational, civic and urban potential of the Dublin/Bay interface lands.

I posted an extract from 'Map F' last week, the one with the whole of the port and most of Poolbeg stained deep purple: ''To porvide for the creation and protection of industrial uses and facilitate opportunities for employment creation''. As an aside, I'd place a bet that there are fewer people employed, per hectare, in the purple zoned areas of Map F than anywhere else in the city, but for sheer humour, it'd be hard to beat 'Map J', . . . . the cars and birds map . . . . [parking standards and environmental designations]

Not content with protecting and perpetuating the harsh industrial use of the port and Poolbeg lands, Map J shows us graphically that almost everything else on the foreshore of the Bay will be imprisoned under a multi layered grid of environmental designations in a spectacular act of development control over-kill.

Horizontal red hatching: ''Candidate Special Area of Conservation''
Diagonal green hatching: ''Special Protection Areas''
Vertical Blue hatching: ''Proposed Natural Heritage Areas''

This is headcase stuff.

Half the birds who will be living under this tripple protection when the new Development Plan is adopted probably don't even know they're in Dublin Bay at all, they just followed the bloke in front. They're probably sitting there now, in the mud, thinking christ, this is a kip, I'm not coming here next year.

On the Dublin Port relocation issue, surely we need to stop thinking of a port as a vast tract of land and start thinking of it as a machine for unloading ships, which, as I think I've said before, could be achieved with small breakwater and a couple of oil-rigs at the end of a freight rail tunnel out in the centre of the bay.

What we need to do is get our priorities sorted out, put the environmental needs of people back at the top of the list along with civic pride and a faith in urbanism and stop this wanton despoiling of prime coastal land in the centre of a city of close to a million people with hectares of stacked containers, bulk storage tanks and the well-intentioned, but misguided, protection of the unintended habitats left over from haphazard land filling as if they were the last remnant of God's creation.
gunter
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland