Luas Central - Which Route?

Luas Central - Which Route? I would prefer...

Route A
37%
Route B
41%
Route C
8%
Route D
9%
Route E
5%

Total votes : 307

Re: luas central corridor

Postby kefu » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:58 am

So it looks like what should have been the simplest of the Luas extensions to the Point is even under threat.
In hindsight, it appears that the removal of the ramp at Connolly was probably worthwhile:-
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2005/0820/3808988766BZLUASYARN.html
Just a thought. But considering the major issue regarding the IFSC extension appears to be potential damage to underground wiring, what about the possibility of having an elevated line.
You could run it right up the middle of Mayor Street and continue on. If designed right, it could be an addition rather than an eyesore and I bet it wouldn't be any more expensive.
kefu

Postby JPD » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:25 pm

Rumour has it that the Central Route has been abandoned and that the Luas will be going to westland row and linking up at the irish life centre.
JPD

Postby GrahamH » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:33 am

A physical link, or a pair of look-like-a-link lines on a map?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:19 am

Graham Hickey wrote:A physical link, or a pair of look-like-a-link lines on a map?

I know what you mean. I always laugh at the map when I'm getting a ticket at the LUAS stop. What do them tourists think. "get off at The Four Courts and it's just a short walk to Stephens Green". :confused:

From what I can gather from JPD's rumour, it will run from Stephens Green via Dawson, Nassau, Lincoln Pl. Westland Row, Pearse, Tara, Butt Bridge & Sráid na Mainistreach. Not my favoured route to be honest. Would have prefered the LUAS down College Gr. & Westmorland St. This would be the most cost effective route to connect the two lines. Go figure.

The Cherrywood line will definatly go ahead next year, I'd put a slice of me arse on that one. The Mayor St. line via IFSC1/2 and 'Point Village' (fitting name for the village-like architecture proposed) will also go ahead IMO]has[/i] to.

I don't see the point of the Westland Row line. Sure, it connects with Pearse, but what about the proposed Grand Canal Cock LUAS line? I thought the IFSC LUAS was going to run from Spencer Dock across Macken St. Bridge and either terminate at Grand Canal or possibly continue on to Merrion or Fitzwilliam. This would satisfy the Pearse Street catchment area.

Having a line on Westland Row AND Grand Canal would be a bit silly really.

edit: Grand Canal 'Dock' not 'Cock'. The keys are close together :o
Morlan

Postby PVC King » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:22 am

Morlan take your rump out of the bacon slicer it will be fully operational during the public enquiry.

Frank Allen has really done it with that routing; it is going to hit massive problems in planning;
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:22 pm

But on the Westland Row route, while I fully welcome the idea if the 'rumour' proves to be correct, how is the equally difficult planning problem of the height of Pearse Station bridge to be overcome?
Is half of Westland Row to be dropped by a metre?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:25 pm

Personally I favour a Western alignment but if the RPA metro isn't built the only way to integrate the airport line with the Luas Green line is via either Pearse or Tara St stations and Tara St would be equally problematic in relation to loss of road space on Tara St itself and low clearance on Luke St. I'm sure dropping the roadway by a metre is technically possible.
PVC King

Postby adhoc » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:59 pm

Where is the perceived need for this extra metre clearance coming from? Luas already passes under the loopline at Beresford Place (clearance - 5m). Westland Row has a 4.93m clearance - a whole 7cm difference. There is no difficulty with Luas passing under the Westland Row Bridge at the current street level.
adhoc

Postby GrahamH » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:05 pm

It was raised on P11 - whereas I don't have the measurements, this was noted as quite a problem for the Westland Row route, it being especially lower than other bridges or something along those lines...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Double-decker buses can travel under it... I don't see why the LUAS can't. Probably a safety issue for minimum clearance. I would't like to see Westland Row lowered, I think it would spoil the street somewhat.
Morlan

Postby GrahamH » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:18 pm

I'd tend to agree, but surely there's a comparitively unobtrusive way to do this if necessary.
Yes mimimun clearance sounds like that was the problem here - whether 7cm makes all the difference as adhoc describes I don't know.
Then again think of how tight it already is on Beresford Place...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:33 pm

INM wrote:
Metro line key feature of new transport plans

THE Metro rail line, linking Dublin city with the airport, is definitely going ahead, the Government will announce tomorrow.

A 10-year transport plan for the nation, to be unveiled at Dublin Castle, will also see an interconnector between Heuston and Connolly stations, and there will be a new docklands train station.

The Irish Independent has learned details of the huge investment plan for road and rail, especially in the Dublin region.

The framework for investment over the next decade involves particular commitments:

* An estimated €]

[B]* €1bn to be invested on an interconnector rail link between Heuston and Connolly stations, and linking all mainline and Dart services.

* The €600m completion of the Eastern bypass.

* A new train station and spur line at Spencer Dock.

* Significant upgrading of the Maynooth line.

* €1bn a year, every year, for the completion of major road projects.

The 10-year transport plan has been the most closely guarded secret in government for years.

Unveiling it tomorrow, the Taoiseach will conjure up a vision of easy commuting in the future through the planning of investment now.

He and senior ministers see the integrated concept as the major plank of their case for an historic third consecutive term in government, with an implied risk to the delivery of the plan if the voters should break with the ruling Coalition.

And the Government is expected to counter political flak over the heavy investment in transport infrastructure in the capital - cockpit of the next general election - by announcing a series of smaller projects around the country, including the refurbishment of the Western rail corridor.

Some sections of this line, which formerly ran from Sligo to Limerick, are likely to be re-opened. A necklace of road projects will relieve traffic bottlenecks elsewhere.

AMBITIOUS

But the main focus of the blueprint remains on Dublin in what is described as "the most ambitious transport plan in the history of the State".

The metro service from the city centre to the airport will take a route that services Dorset Street and Dublin City University, according to the plans.

The interconnector between Heuston and Connolly stations will be located entirely on the south side of the river Liffey - instead of consisting of a loop running along both banks, as had been previously envisaged.

A feasibility study into the "M50's big brother" is further expected to recommend the beginning of construction on the so-called outer orbital route. This will place a new C-ring motorway outside the existing M50, enabling motorists to travel from Drogheda to Wicklow via Naas.

The upgrading of the Maynooth line, plagued by a lack of capacity, has long been expected. What is not yet clear is the Government's intentions in relation to Dublin Bus, which says it has been starved of resources for its fleet.

The Government has asked the company to outline how it can operate a more efficient service, with the widespread operation of private buses on city routes under active consideration.

Senan Molony
Political Correspondent

Roll on Tomorrow so that the above can be clarified
PVC King

Postby Morlan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:34 pm

Connolly to Heuston? I thought it was Spencer Dock to Heuston.

No mention of the LUAS link in that article.
Morlan

Postby alpha » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:39 pm

i really do hope they finally go ahead with that metro. they have been putting it off for far too long now.
alpha

Postby alpha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:17 pm

i heard some information about this on the one o'clock news today. they didn't mention the metro on the news though. fingers crossed....
alpha

Postby StephenC » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:35 pm

The most over announced story in history! Keep in mind that the plan is from 2007....meaning that you have to vote the arseholes back in if you want to see all your shiny metros and luas entensions. And if the alterbative get in sure we'll have to reassess the plans then...to suit changing needs. Bullshit. Martin Cullen ihas to be the most ineffectual minister ever. Still no sign of integrated ticketing... announced by Lowry in 1996. No doubt it is part of the PLAN!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby alpha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:50 pm

well said.
alpha

Postby jpbw » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:50 pm

Hmmmm.......I think the Luas should wrap around the corner of Stephen's green, down Merrion Row, swing left into Upper Merrion St, past the Government Buildings and the National Gallery, down Westland Row (and link with Pearse St.) and pretty much run under the DART line to link additionally with Tara St. and onto Connolly Station. College Green is too congested as it is. The O'Connell St. - Grafton St. access is the main spine of Dublin, so I think all Dublin's eggs should be put in one basket. I'm sure the lands under the DART line are owned by CIE, so easy and cheap to redevelop. The proposed route would run past some of Dublin's most magnificent buildings and squares and would link up with the DART line in 3 places. I think it would serve to develop the lands north of Pearse St, along Townsend St and on to the Quays. Any comments??
jpbw

Postby notjim » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:35 pm

so its all a big suprise - luas to the airport first and then the metro taking a more westerly route not joining up dcu and so on!
notjim

Postby notjim » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:45 pm

actually the news website I got that from seems to have changed its mind and is now saying two metros, one to the airport linking dcu etc, another to west dublin. i don't know, i guess it will be clear in a few hours.
notjim

Postby dowlingm » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:29 pm

dowlingm

Postby notjim » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:15 pm

So according to the Post, the leading contender for this is the Westmoreland street route but the main contender is Westland Row, Pearse and a new bridge to Marlboro Street. I guess the object people raise is the Westland Row bridge, but ignoring that, this seems like a much better route, no digging up O'Connell Street, no wires getting in the way of this and College Green, a chance to rejuvanate Marlboro Street and a new pedestrian route across the river.
notjim

Postby Frank Taylor » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:57 pm

Marlboro Lights Rail Street
Frank Taylor

Postby Morlan » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:43 pm

Frank Taylor wrote:Marlboro Lights Rail Street

:rolleyes: :D
Morlan

Postby crestfield » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:47 am

Personnaly I believe that if we wish to reinforce the north south axis on O'Connell St. - College Green the luas must go down Westmoreland St. Otherwise you will reinforce the drift of the city centre to the south east. But on downside, and its a big downside the wires of the tram would seriously damage the area in terms of visual clutter. How come the trams in San Francisco can (built decades ago) have there powere lines in the ground but the luas has its over head.
crestfield

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland