Luas Central - Which Route?

Luas Central - Which Route? I would prefer...

Route A
37%
Route B
41%
Route C
8%
Route D
9%
Route E
5%

Total votes : 307

Re: luas central corridor

Postby Devin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:57 am

Trams in Bordeaux use underground powering as well - no overhead wires. This is what should be done for Luas through College Green ... would cost a bit more but would definitely be worth it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_level_power_supply
Devin
Old Master

Postby asdasd » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:15 am

I am not sure that the BART is underground powering, at least not when it is running on the surface. In any case there are plenty of overhead cables around San Francisco - the Muni and some buses are electrically powered. Sparks are visible at night.
asdasd

Postby Richards » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:29 pm

The RPA were in Pearse Street this morning (between the fire station and Shaw Street) with their theodlites obviously with a view to possible routes to join up the two Luas Lines.
Richards

Re: Luas Line BX options revealed

Postby adhoc » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:43 pm

The RPA have published 5 options for the central corridor. Options C and E seem to be there to make up the numbers. Option D could be a winner.

<a href="http://www.rpa.ie/upload/documents/Luas%20-%20Important%20Notice.pdf">RPA Luas Line BX document</a>
adhoc

luas lines

Postby notjim » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:07 pm

can we have a poll?
notjim

Re: luas lines

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:27 am

yep a poll would be good.
Peter Fitz

Postby Morlan » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:22 am

I really don’t like the idea of having a bridge between O'Connell bridge and the loop line. I think it would spoil this stretch of river. It’s likely that the new bridge would be fairly cheap and nasty too. What to you guys think?

Option A would be my choice. Option C would link George’s St into the network, that’d be nice too. The other options link Pearse with Stephen’s Gr. but the interconnector will join these two in the future anyway,
Morlan

Luas Central - Which Route?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:12 am

Which of the proposed routes do you prefer? From St.Stephen's Green terminus OPTION A runs along St.Stephen's Green North, turns north into Dawson St., west into Nassau St., north into the lower part of Grafton St., passes the main entrance to Trinity College, crosses College Green and runs north along Westmoreland St.. Approaching O'Connell Bridge the two tracks separate to run each side of the traffic median on the bridge and continue into O'Connell St. running each side of the median to connect with the Red Line at the junction of O'Connell St. and Abbey St.. Possible stop locations include Dawson St., Westmoreland St. and O'Connell St

From St.Stephen's Green terminus OPTION B runs along St.Stephen's Green North, Merrion Row, turns north into Merrion St. Upper and Merrion Square West, crosses the Clare St. junction into Merrion St. Lower and Lincoln Place and continues north along Westland Row and then west along Pearse St.. At the western end of Pearse St. the line turns north into Hawkins St., having crossed Townsend St., and continues to Burgh Quay. The line crosses the Liffey to Eden Quay on a new Luas bridge. From Eden Quay the line continues north along Marlboro St. to connect with the Red Line at the junction of Marlboro St. and Abbey St. Lower. Possible stop locations include St.Stephen's Green North, Merrion Square West, Westland Row, Pearse St. and on a new Luas bridge.

From St.Stephen's Green terminus OPTION C runs along King St. South and Stephen St. Lower and then turns north to run along South Great George's St. as far as Dame St.. The line then turns to run along Dame St. and College Green towards Trinity College and then along Westmoreland St. towards O'Connell Bridge. Approaching O'Connell Bridge the two tracks separate to run on each side of the traffic median on the bridge and continue into O'Connell St. running each side of the median to connect with the Red Line at the junction of O'Connell St. and Abbey St.. Possible stop locations include South Great George's St., Dame St. and O'Connell St.

From St.Stephen's Green terminus OPTION D runs along St.Stephen's Green North, Dawson St., Nassau St. and the lower part of Grafton St. as far as College Green. From College Green the line continues around Trinity along College St. as far as Pearse St. where it turns north into Hawkins St., having crossed Townsend St. and continues to Burgh Quay. From Burgh Quay the line crosses the Liffey to Eden Quay on a new Luas bridge. From Eden Quay the line continues north along Marlboro St. to connect with the Red Line at the junction of Marlboro St. and Abbey St. Lower. Possible stop locations include Dawson St., College Street and on the new Luas bridge.

From St.Stephen's Green terminus OPTION E runs along St.Stephen's Green North. At the Dawson St. junction the line splits with one track for trams heading north towards the Red Line running along Dawson St. as far as Nassau St. while the track for trams coming from the Red Line extends further east along St. Stephen's Green North and runs along Kildare St. and Nassau St. before rejoining the other track in Nassau St. at the Dawson St. junction. From Nassau St. the line would continue into the lower part of Grafton St., College Green and Westmoreland St.. Approaching O'Connell Bridge the two tracks separate to run on each side of the traffic median on the bridge and continue into O'Connell St. running on each side of the median to connect with the Red Line at the junction of O'Connell St. and Abbey St.. Possible stop locations include Dawson St. (for trams heading towards the Red Line), Kildare St. (for trams heading towards the Green Line), Westmoreland St. and O'Connell St.

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:15 am

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: Luas Central - Which Route?

Postby Morlan » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:42 am

I chose Route A.

There’s no need to waste money on longer track alignments and bridges over the Liffey. All we need is for the two lines to be linked in the middle, as they should have been in the first place!

Line A offers the quickest route for the least amount of cash.

My second choice would be Route C.
Morlan

Postby notjim » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:02 pm

but a new bridge put the line on marlboro street; meaning, ultimately the luas extension to dit will run up marlboro street, opening it up for development and keeping o'connell street uncluttered.
notjim

Postby jimg » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:29 pm

I voted A. Route B is very long and would add at least 5 mins to the trip from Stephens green to O'Connell St. making the tram potentially slower than walking. Also, the B route runs closely parallel with the DART from Pearse duplicating the rail coverage east of the central north/south axis of the city strenghtening the lop-sided east/west spread of rail provision in the centre of town.
jimg

Postby alpha » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:44 pm

option a would be my choice too. i guess if they go with option b the bridge over the liffey will look a bit like the bridge at charlemont with the stop being on the bridge.
alpha

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:21 pm

A for me too.
But why isn't Grafton Street even under consideration? Its omission is even more glaring looking at those maps. The shortest, straightest route is the only one not illustrated.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Rusty Cogs » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:06 pm

ctesiphon wrote:A for me too.
But why isn't Grafton Street even under consideration? Its omission is even more glaring looking at those maps. The shortest, straightest route is the only one not illustrated.

In fairness the footfall on Grafton St. would make the building & operation of Luas a nightmare. It was pedestrianised 20 years ago for good reason.
Rusty Cogs

Postby aj » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:41 pm

[quote="notjim"]but a new bridge put the line on marlboro street]
agreed 100%
aj

Postby stira » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:41 pm

ok, so the metro is supposed to be running from swords to st stephens green right? so why not just continue it to ranelagh and have it surface there, and on to bray as planned, you would have a collosal central line, that would be capable of carrying huge amounts of passengers. The luas trams could be used on other lines. I mean if this is what they are sarificing just to link them it is very short sighted! And there are no idea options, obvisouly grafton street would be the most logical just simply route wise, but there is no way or how that could ever happen, unless they decided to just dig up grafton and put in a tunnel...
stira

Postby Frank Taylor » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:44 pm

Rusty Cogs wrote:In fairness the footfall on Grafton St. would make the building & operation of Luas a nightmare. It was pedestrianised 20 years ago for good reason.
Was it pedestrianised because of the high footfall or did the footfall come about after pedestrianisation?

What about pedestrianising Chatham Row, Clarendon Street, South WIlliam Street and WIcklow Street?

All of these streets seem to have been sacrificed to access roads for the Brown Thomas car park. With two new undeground lines delivering customers by the thousand to Stephen's Green, more luas stops in the area and existing car parks on Drury Sreet, Stephen's Green and Andrews Lane, is this car park really worth it?
Frank Taylor

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:46 pm

[quote="notjim"]but a new bridge put the line on marlboro street]

very good point
and B intercepts the Dart line at Westland Row as well... which may reduce the pressure on Connolly
I opted for B
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby stira » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:20 pm

ok, so the metro is supposed to be running from swords to st stephens green right? so why not just continue it to ranelagh and have it surface there, and on to bray as planned, you would have a collosal central line, that would be capable of carrying huge amounts of passengers. The luas trams could be used on other lines. I mean if this is what they are sarificing just to link them it is very short sighted! And there are no idea options, obvisouly grafton street would be the most logical just simply route wise, but there is no way or how that could ever happen, unless they decided to just dig up grafton and put in a tunnel...
stira

Postby GrahamH » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:50 pm

Agreed 100% - Plan B

On balance, having another bridge across the Liffey is less visually damaging than having lower Grafton Street and College Green poled and cabled, and Lower O'Connell Street and Bridge destroyed with poles, cables, platforms and attendant features.

Or why not go Plan D and have the best of both worlds? :rolleyes:

B is perfect for serving Pearse Station which is also set to become a hub of sorts under Transport 21. A bit of a roundabout route all right having to double round the Trinity site, but something has to give. A pity it couldn't join the red line further west - suppose the RPA want it as close to O'Connell Street as possible...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby niall murphy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:00 pm

Line D is my preference. It would minimise disruption to O'Connell Street and provide a good connection with the Dart closeby at Tara Street. 2 new platforms could be constructed in front of the existing Abbey Theatre and by walking just around the corner to the red line platforms a good connection is possible here too. Then in time the line can be extended on up Marlborough Street or wherever it is to be taken.

I also think maybe after the trams reach here they could travel on to the Point Depot, thus removing the future problem of the red line going in and reversing out of Connolly. This would be achieved by running 2 routes: Sandyford - Point (bypassing Connolly) and Tallaght - Connolly
niall murphy

Postby Morlan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:41 am

I was surprised by your choice, Graham, you having such an affinity for O'Connell Bridge.

As it stands, the bridge has an equal, balanced amount of river space either side of it, as it deserves. Ripping up College Green would only be temporary. A bridge would be permanent, a bridge that would be designed and built under a very tight budget. We could end up with an awful concrete heap of shite, further spoiling the view down the river - the loop line is bad enough.

The proposed LUAS bridge will also be a tram stop, cluttered with ticket machines, shelters and other paraphernalia, and would further obstruct the view of the Custom House.

Route A would be constructed in the least amount of time. It would provide the fastest connection for people travelling between Line A and B. Makes sense to me...

Graham Hickey wrote:Agreed 100% - Plan B

On balance, having another bridge across the Liffey is less visually damaging than having lower Grafton Street and College Green poled and cabled, and Lower O'Connell Street and Bridge destroyed with poles, cables, platforms and attendant features.

Or why not go Plan D and have the best of both worlds? :rolleyes:

B is perfect for serving Pearse Station which is also set to become a hub of sorts under Transport 21. A bit of a roundabout route all right having to double round the Trinity site, but something has to give. A pity it couldn't join the red line further west - suppose the RPA want it as close to O'Connell Street as possible...
Morlan

Postby Morlan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:50 am

ctesiphon wrote:A for me too.

Luas down Grafton is NEVER going to happen. It's the most important retail street/public space in Ireland. The affect on businesses there would be disastrous.

I'm sure anyone living in Dublin would agree.
Morlan

Postby PVC King » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:35 pm

It also duplicates the route of de proposed metro which makes the route selections outlined in this process farcical.

Routes A; D & E follow almost the exact route of de metro

Route B after taking an unnecessary jaunt to O'Donaghues then almost replicates the existing Loopline alignment

Only route C offers any additional coverage but then returns to the metro alignment

None of the above should be built
PVC King

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland