Point Village

Re: Point Village

Postby Morlan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 pm

reddy wrote:ha ha! Was accidental actually! I was looking at the Elysian thread and someone called the tower ugly - said I'd have a look on Flickr to make up my mind and what came up first...?!

Always remember to credit any pics you upload here - Ideally you would have [IMG]ed the image directly from Flickr with a link to Donncha´s account. Fair is fair. :)
Morlan

Postby cgcsb » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:43 pm

so has the tower been officially cancelled? if not, it's prob only a matter of time :( so sad
cgcsb

Postby rob mc » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:28 pm

cgcsb wrote:so has the tower been officially cancelled? if not, it's prob only a matter of time :( so sad

I wouldn't say cancelled but definitely delayed.

But for how long?nobody knows.
rob mc

Postby cgcsb » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm

if so, I'll be really upset. Poor aul Dublin has nothing to show for it's years of success. Maybe next time around though
cgcsb

Postby D.S. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:47 am

Today's indo outlining the dispute between Dunnes and Harry Crosbie. It seems that Dunnes have been trying to delay/pull out of this deal since last Summer. Pure speculation, but I would guess this is why progress on the Tower stopped shortly afterwards...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dunnes-owe-me-836423m-claims-crosbie-1624960.html

Personally, I think the Point Village is taking shape nicely. I have reservations about the exterior design of the Point/O2 itself. Overall, Crosbie was v brave with this development. He will need a concentration of retailers in there if it has any hope of it being a success. The Luas well help a lot but driving there is going to be a nightmare - particularly when concerts are on...
D.S.

Postby johnglas » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:07 pm

D.S. Why would anyone want to drive there when a major event is on? You can occasionally be surgically separated from your car.
johnglas

Postby jdivision » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:43 pm

D.S. wrote:Today's indo outlining the dispute between Dunnes and Harry Crosbie. It seems that Dunnes have been trying to delay/pull out of this deal since last Summer. Pure speculation, but I would guess this is why progress on the Tower stopped shortly afterwards...

The tower's not part of the shopping centre. It's been delayed to allow a new planning application be lodged. I've been told that by Crosbie's advisers so presume it's true.
jdivision

Postby D.S. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:51 pm

johnglas wrote:D.S. Why would anyone want to drive there when a major event is on? You can occasionally be surgically separated from your car.

That's my point. You won't want to drive there when a concert is on. Given that fact, then late night shopping and cinema's/bars etc would be impacted. Concerts often open doors at 6:30 and earlier at weekends.

Only mentioning the above given the context of Dunnes Stores about face. Obviously, in the current climate they are concerned about pouring money into a new store when the retail sector is down, but also into a new store where development in the surrounding area is lagging. Personally, I would be concerned if I were Dunnes Stores if punters weren't willing to drive there.

Yes people can be surgically seperated from their car John on occasion, but given the nature of the Homeware business Dunnes were pushing for this development, it's not the kind of goods you would be willing to carry in bulk half way across town on a luas or otherwise. Typically food stores/homeware stores actually do require a significant portion of the clientele to drive there.

jdivision wrote:The tower's not part of the shopping centre. It's been delayed to allow a new planning application be lodged. I've been told that by Crosbie's advisers so presume it's true.

I heard this also. Pure speculation but I was purely wondering whether the comment in the article referring to Crosbie needing the money to fund other parts of the development actually referred to the tower? I don't know and have no concrete info to support that view other than the inference in the article.
D.S.

Postby rob mc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:56 pm

8 Febuary 2009

Businessman Harry Crosbie is in negotiations with the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) about altering the use of his proposed 120-metre skyscraper in Dublin.

Crosbie is asking the DDDA to allow him to develop part of the proposed Watchtower for offices and commercial use, rather than for apartments as originally planned. The request comes as a result of the decline in the residential property market.

The 40-storey tower is the centrepiece of Crosbie’s Point Village, a €850 million urban regeneration scheme on a 12acre site beside the O2 music venue. A spokesman for Crosbie last week rejected previous reports that the tower would be delayed.

However, he said that the Watchtower was now likely to be ‘‘refocused’’ from residential to commercial use. The alteration requires the permission of the DDDA, and the spokesman said that negotiations were ongoing about the proposed changes.

The DDDA had intended that the Watchtower would form one-half of a ‘‘maritime gateway’’ to Dublin, standing across the river Liffey from the planned U2Tower. However, the U2-backed project was put on hold for at least a year last October.

Last week, Crosbie claimed that the financing of the Point Village was being jeopardised by the failure of Dunnes Stores to complete an agreement to become anchor tenant at the project. He is seeking an order requiring Dunnes to pay €23 million allegedly due under the agreement. The case has been sent to arbitration.

Sunday Business Post

wow this is just a never ending story:mad:
rob mc

Postby lostexpectation » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 pm

it should have been called the dunnes stores tower? or u2dunee udunne2?
lostexpectation

Postby rob mc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:13 am

Irish Times

Bright ideas sought for docklands civic space

DOES HARRY CROSBIE think things are going to turn militant? Even political rallies are to be catered for in the new “civic and public space” being planned by Crosbie for a site behind the O2 Arena (formerly the Point Theatre) in Dublin’s docklands.

A design competition is being organised in collaboration with the RIAI for the space, which is to host “free rock, jazz and trad shows as well as drama, monster céilís and dances, political rallies and events of every kind, including a large weekly produce market”.

According to Crosbie, Dublin city planners are “hugely enthusiastic” about the proposals, which may also include a “giant fireplace” for children to sit around in winter – though no doubt the public liability implications of such an attraction will have to be considered.

The irrepressible impresario is convinced that, in these deeply recessionary times, people want more entertainment to take their minds off the bleak news of banking crises, job losses and the property collapse – which is why bookings at the O2 are so strong.

However, one of the casualties of the recession is Crosbie’s plan to build a 40-storey tower at the Point, designed by Scott Tallon Walker; it has been put on hold. Also in grave doubt is Dunnes Stores’ original plan to become the anchor tenant for the Point Village.

Please tell me this isnt true:mad::mad::mad:
rob mc

Postby darkman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfIyG4TiJ8M

Video featuring the tower and other elements.
darkman

Postby ihateawake » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:57 pm

Ahhh, so pretty :o

Too bad the the only thing to differentiate the tower site from tarmac is a series of yellow poles placed around the the perimeter...

Also, the bears found a new home, where were they before, I cant remember.

You can walk through most of the site now, I think its allowed:confused:

Sorry for the crap skills and tools.

/edit... Across the river.
ihateawake

Postby rob mc » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:23 pm

I think we have finally witnessed the death of the watchtower "sniff"

Its a GD shame as it looked so good in that vid
rob mc

Postby cgcsb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:39 pm

cgcsb

Postby Smithfield Resi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:31 pm

crisis averted

Til the next one...
Smithfield Resi

Postby cgcsb » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:10 pm

So what's word on the street. I recently read in the indo that property might be back on the up. I wonder what crosbie is thinkin at the min regarding the tower
cgcsb

Postby Rusty Cogs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:42 am

I'd say the b'aul Harry would be happy just to get his 'village' finished with a meaningful tennant uptake (unlike say the 'CHQ' up the river).
Rusty Cogs

Postby Frank Taylor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:31 am

Planned 'civic space' made of 40ft containers.

Doesn't look too promising.

Here's a rough transcript of an interview with Marian Finucance & H Crosbie about why he cancelled the Watchtower (from last week).

Finucane: There are a couple of things that you've decided to say no. You were going to do the two towers on either side of the port so to speak, U2 doing one, you doing the other and then there was the man you could walk into.

Crosbie: Yeah, it was just too risky, because you know when we were doing that the thing was still at the very, very top but anyone who was smart and intelligent would know this doesn't feel right. You know the way you just, reading in the papers, mad stuff, was happening and I said it's too -, I'm not doing that. we needed to sell those apartments for a million plus each - every single one of them - with no safety net. we pulled it. But that doesn't mean- now we've the foundations in - we spent 15 million on the foundations. It might all come again.

Finucane: Will your planning permission hold?

Crosbie: Ah, I don't think there'll be much problem with getting it again because it was a lovely design and the Point is called the Point because it used to be where the land met the sea and it's the absolute ideal place to have two of those pillars and the idea was we were replicating the pillars of Hercules, the original classical statue and at some stage maybe not in my lifetime but it certainly will happen again because it would have been the absolute ideal place for a sky scraper and one of the regrets is that I didn't get to build the first skyscraper and that would have been it and it would have been fabulous. Imagine coming in from the sea and seeing those two 40 storey towers from 20 miles out at sea - it would have been gorgeous and then you come in through them and you come into a low rise 18th century georgian city - beautiful.
Frank Taylor

Postby Yixian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:14 pm

Well.. at least he's still considering the tower.

The square is just "urgh" though - there's a reason we don't litter our cities with shipping containers.
Yixian

Postby lostexpectation » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:06 pm

so we put to rest the myth that it height objections is why we don't have any tall buildings!
lostexpectation

Postby Frank Taylor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:51 pm

Crosbie said he needed to sell all apartments for 1m each to break even. There were 150 apartments planned plus 500 sqm of offices plus rooftop restaurant plus presumably retail at ground level. So does that mean he expected that it would cost 150m to build the 120m tower? Is that about right?
Frank Taylor

Postby cgcsb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:14 pm

Frank Taylor wrote:Crosbie said he needed to sell all apartments for 1m each to break even. There were 150 apartments planned plus 500 sqm of offices plus rooftop restaurant plus presumably retail at ground level. So does that mean he expected that it would cost 150m to build the 120m tower? Is that about right?

:eek: that's like €1.25m per metre height of the building(not including foundations) and it is fairly slender in design, I'd imagine that's a fairly hefty price tag, especially given the recent fall in construction costs. Although of course he'd want to be making a profit.

I wonder if the price of steel beams has declined recently also.
cgcsb

Postby Yixian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:23 pm

In fact now is actually the best time to build - just also the worst time to open.
Yixian

Postby cgcsb » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:42 am

Is it likely we'll ever see this rising out of the ground?http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.348225,-6.227789&spn=0.000775,0.002368&t=h&z=19
cgcsb

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland