Dublin: it isn't that ugly

Re: Dublin: it isn't that ugly

Postby Boyler » Fri May 27, 2005 7:17 pm

[quote="Boyler"]To an outsider I'd say Dublin does have an air of a provincial British city in terms of its built environment]
The first paragraph is supposed to be a quote.
Boyler

Postby GrahamH » Sat May 28, 2005 6:34 pm

Nothing?

Small peripheral countries tend to be influenced rather than influence others.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby DublinLimerick » Sat May 28, 2005 9:54 pm

Countries sharing a common civilization have an influence upon each other (positive/negative) in a variety of ways and not just architecturally. I emphasize civilisation rather than culture as culture is defined by its genus civilisation (with local variation). The modern european state is today the repository of cultural identites commonly referred to as Western Civilisation. For all of us within this great civilisation ((whether we like or not), it is national identity which instantiates (and provides local variation to) this common civilisation.
DublinLimerick

Postby Boyler » Sun May 29, 2005 4:22 pm

How many World Heritage Sites are in Ireland?
Boyler

Postby Frank Taylor » Sun May 29, 2005 4:46 pm

Two (and one in the North). Why don't you find out what they are?
Frank Taylor

Postby Boyler » Mon May 30, 2005 7:40 pm

I know that the Giant's Causeway is a World Heritage Site. Skellig Michael is one as well. Don't know the third but it may be Newgrange.
Boyler

Postby Jack White » Mon May 30, 2005 7:54 pm

Those are correct

Clonmacnoise is a canidate World Heritage Site as well
Jack White

Postby Boyler » Mon May 30, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm a bit surprised that the Bank of Ireland on College Green isn't a World Heritage Site. It was the first purpose built parliament house for two chambers, the Houses of Commons and Lords, in the world.
Boyler

Postby Jack White » Mon May 30, 2005 8:12 pm

Boyler here is the list:

http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31

As you can see there is a bias towards Natural Heritage and Pre-Rennaisance architecture with only 788 properties afforded this designation on Earth.
Jack White

Postby GrahamH » Mon May 30, 2005 9:52 pm

Good to see you mentioned the two-chamber element Boyler of the BoI - most people conveniently leave it out in the world status claim...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Boyler » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:11 pm

How can landscapes be World Heritage Sites? I can understand how city centres would be, due to their architecture.
Boyler

Postby Jack White » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:24 pm

Boyler,

The people in the WHC section of Unesco are concerned that any site of significance could fail to be protected.

Mount Nimba is a good example of how the process works.

http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31&id_site=155

Mount Nimba Strict Nature Reserve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Côte d'Ivoire
Guinea Région de Lola
N7 36 11.5 W8 23 27.5
ref: 155

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date of Inscription: 1981
Extension: 1982
Criteria: N (ii) (iv)
Brief Description
Located on the borders of Guinea, Liberia and Côte d'Ivoire, Mount Nimba rises above the surrounding savannah. Its slopes are covered by dense forest at the foot of grassy mountain pastures. They harbour an especially rich flora and fauna, with endemic species such as the viviparous toad and chimpanzees that use stones as tools.

Inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger: 1992
Threats to the Site:

The Reserve was inscribed on the List of the World Heritage in Danger as a result of two factors: a proposed iron-ore mining concession to an international consortium and the arrival of a large number of refugees to areas in and around the Guinean part of the site. The granting of the concession was announced in 1992 and included portions of the WH site.

When the WH Committee expressed its concern about the mining venture, it was informed by the State Party that there had been an error in the definition of the boundary of Mount Nimba Nature Reserve at the time of the nomination of the site to the World Heritage List and that the area proposed for the mining project was not considered as part of the WH site. An expert mission in May 1993 recommended a corrected and revised boundary which would ensure the site's integrity and incorporate an area of 17,749 ha. This recommendation was adopted by the Government of Guinea in late November 1993 and subsequently registered by the World Heritage Committee at its seventeenth session.

In response to the concern expressed by the World Heritage Committee regarding the impact of the mining project, the influx of refugees as well as other threats to the site, the Guinean Ministry for Energy and Environment has established a Management Centre, "Centre de Gestion de l'Environnement des Monts Nimba (CEGEN)", responsible for all environmental and legal questions, for the monitoring of the water quality in the region and integrated rural development and socio-economic studies.

Documents
Report of the 5th Session of the Committee

Report of the 6th Session of the Committee

Justification for inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger, 1992: Report of the 16th Session of the Committee

State of Conservation Report: 1999

State of Conservation Report: 1998

Advisory Body Evaluation
Links
Natural site datasheet from WCMC
Jack White

Postby Boyler » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:29 pm

Mabe I'm just being patriotic, but there should be more World Heritage Sites in Ireland. I would suggest the Rock of Cashel, Clonmacnoise and the BOI on College Green, to name a few. Can anyone else mention someplace that they would like to see being a World Heritage Site?
Boyler

Postby sw101 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:30 pm

mickey d's on o'connell street.
sw101

Postby Jack White » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:30 pm

Tara on the basis of threat and cultural importance,

Croagh Patrick on the basis of Cultural significance and Glencar's mining ambitions

The Burran on the basis of unique habitat and to ensure any visitor centre is done on best pronciples and not as a cash cow
Jack White

Postby Boyler » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Isn't Trim Castle in Trim, Co. Meath, one of the largest castles in Europe?
Boyler

Postby Boyler » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:31 am

Can't wait for the skyscraper near Heuston Station to be finished. Let's hope more will come!
Boyler

Postby dave123 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:19 pm

looking at the photos of the hueston dev.... , i think i was wrong for saying its nice building , when you look at it , it reminds me of and old office building ? in germany or holland , its a good spot and its not a bad skyscraper to some of the ones that were planned in Dublin and built like hawkins house etc...

I think foreign architects are more experienced and better at designing better skyscrapers?
dave123

Postby Boyler » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:40 pm

That's probably true.
Boyler

Previous

Return to Ireland