Vertigo? U2 tower to be taller

Re: Vertigo? U2 tower to be taller

Postby The Denouncer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:36 pm

cgcsb wrote:It is in the link if you look. At the bottom of the fist paragraph at the bottom of the second (history) paragraph and at the bottom of the paragraph after that. God gave you two eyes, use them

I see it, but I don't believe it. I never before saw a definitive "Construction is to begin in 2008 and end in 2011" until that article. And I don't see no paragraph talking about fists.
The Denouncer

Postby cgcsb » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 pm

I meant to say first
cgcsb

Postby GregF » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 am

This whole U2 Tower debacle is an unfunny joke, like the DDDA.
GregF
Old Master

Postby Maskhadov » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:21 pm

time to pull the plug on the whole project
Maskhadov

Postby Pepsi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Maskhadov wrote:time to pull the plug on the whole project

i agree. i for one am sick and tired of waiting for them to get their act together.:mad:
Pepsi

Postby Morlan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Agreed. What a miserable bore.
Morlan

Postby theman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:36 pm

The DDDA are being shown up for the bunch of incompetents they are - you really have to question the quality of leadership and over all cop-on that is going into this project from the DDDA. The whole process has been a fiasco from the word go. It must sicken them to see the Watchtower going up, knowing that they'll be sipping cocktails when they top it out, while theres not even a hole in the ground at Britain Quay. 2011? Dream on. A total yawn fest that everyone seems to be losing interest in....
theman

Postby theman » Mon May 26, 2008 10:21 am

Courtesy of http://www.independent.ie, 8th May 2008:

After years of planning, wrangling and rowing, it finally looks like the landmark U2 tower is finally set to get off the ground. Plans for the Liffey highrise remain on course even though a formal agreement with the developers has still not been struck.

The Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) said negotiations between it and the preferred bidders – a consortium including U2 members – “are due to be completed shortly”. The DDDA expects “construction of the tower to begin by the end of this year or early next year”, a spokesman said.

Geranger Ltd was chosen by the DDDA as the preferred bidder for the €200m project on Britain Quay in October, beating off competition from Sean Dunne's Mountbrook Homes. Geranger, a consortium consisting of Ballymore Properties, developer Paddy McKillen and the members of U2, plans to build a skyscraper soaring 60m higher than the Spire.

ENERGY

The scheme contains a design for an egg-shaped recording studio suspended beneath a battery of vertical wind turbines and a huge solar panel at the top. This “energy centre” will raise the overall height from 130 metres to 180 metres.

The Geranger project, a tilted triangular tower designed by Foster & Partners, will include a public viewing platform offering panoramic views over the city and Dublin Bay.

This will be located just below U2's “pod” studio, which will be separated from the structure for acoustic reasons.

Norman Foster's practice is best known for the Swiss Re or “Gherkin” tower in the city of London.

DDDA director of architecture John McLaughlin said that the Foster scheme “had the edge because its public spaces were really well handled” and it provided a gateway to a bridge over the Dodder where it joins the Liffey.

In addition to the tower, which will largely comprise luxury apartments, the scheme includes a five-star hotel in a flanking building, and a block of 34 social and affordable apartments.
theman

Postby jackwade » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:48 am

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/u2-tower-is-stuck-in-a-moment-1393777.html

U2 tower is 'stuck in a moment'
Fears over property downturn may stall band's ambitious elevation

By RONALD QUINLAN

Sunday June 01 2008

THERE are growing doubts over the future of the landmark U2 tower in Dublin's docklands as the fallout from economic downturn continues to take its toll on the property market.

Informed construction industry sources believe the erection of the Liffeyside high-rise building will at the very least be delayed, or even abandoned as the economic feasibility of the PPP (Public Private Partnership) project diminishes.

Speaking to the Sunday Independent, one highly-placed source said: "The final contracts haven't been signed between the developer (Ballymore Homes) and the DDDA (Dublin Docklands Development Authority). Given the way things are going in the industry, don't expect anything to happen soon."

While media reports on May 7 had suggested that a signed agreement between the DDDA and Geranger -- a consortium consisting of Sean Mulryan's Ballymore Homes, developer Paddy McKillen and U2 members -- was imminent; last Friday little progress appeared to have been made.

Responding to the claims that the construction of the U2 tower was now in doubt, a spokesperson for the Docklands Authority said the "negotiation process was still ongoing" and that there were "many complicated issues which have to be agreed" before the development would commence.

Interestingly, the spokesperson referred to Geranger -- the consortium of which Ballymore Homes is a member -- as the "provisional" preferred bidder for the development of the U2 tower.

The spokesperson stressed, however, that the dockland authority was satisfied with progress on the negotiations.

Ballymore Homes, meanwhile, refused to comment on claims that it was reluctant to sign the final contracts required before the development of the U2 tower could get underway.

Responding to questions on the matter last Friday, a spokesperson for the developer said: "In agreement with the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, Ballymore Homes is precluded from commenting on this to the media."

The proposed 120-metre tower is the latest Public Private Partnership (PPP) project to come under threat from worsening conditions in the residential property sector.

Only two weeks ago, five PPP housing regeneration schemes were derailed after multimillionaire developer Bernard McNamara withdrew on the grounds that they were no longer financially viable and is currently discussing the future of the project with Dublin City Council.

Explaining his decision, Mr McNamara cited larger apartment sizes and tighter building regulations as the major factors in making the developments in Dublin's inner city unworkable.

In the case of the proposed U2 tower development, among the hundreds of apartments and offices there are plans for the provision of a block of 34 social and affordable housing units under the terms of the PPP agreement.

Given the prevailing economic conditions, industry sources maintain that it is the proposal for luxury apartments and a high-end hotel that will be of more concern to the development consortium.

The most notable element of the project, however, is the proposal for an egg-shaped recording studio for U2.

Suspended beneath vertical wind turbines and a massive solar panel, the studio to replace the band's famous Windmill Lane facility is poised to raise the height of the Norman Foster-designed tower to 180 metres -- 60 metres higher than the O'Connell Street Spire.

- RONALD QUINLAN
jackwade

Postby johnglas » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Serves the greedy airheads right for not jumping in when property was booming; better to leave the site empty until the next boom or until someone comes up with a decent landmark design that's not impossible to build or looks like a dog's dinner. What's the justification for PPP here anyway? What will be the public 'benefit' (apart from inflating U2's egos and bank balances - offshore, of course)?
johnglas

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 am

wouldn't take too much from that in fairness, ... thats not to say that the DDDA haven't done a spectacular job in fucking this up.
Peter Fitz

Postby theman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:08 pm

yeah, nearly 10 years of talking about this project, and €10m wasted in design fees on a tower that was never to be built (never mind how much Ballymore spent on their bid) and it's still an empty site...they did knock the hailing station, though, so not like they haven't done anything on the project....:D What a bunch of incompetents that are running this project..farsical....
theman

Postby Pepsi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:41 pm

i bet something else will go wrong and the watchtower will go the same way. :rolleyes:
Pepsi

Postby PVC King » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:54 pm

I would strongly hope that pre-lettings at the Point Scheme will ensure that the watch tower is part of an overall development deemed viable and does not face the attention of risk management bods at the scheme's funders.

On the U2 tower whilst it is disapointing to see the tower fall foul of the post Bear Sterns environment it is in my opinion far better to see a re-model happen in 2-3 years when it is deemed viable again as opposed to having something on that scale that is less than the latest and greatest.

In 10 years this area will be full of tall buildings and we'll all be whinging about one offs again!!
PVC King

Postby johnglas » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 pm

In Glasgow we've just demolished another two 1970s slab blocks; yesterday's 'solution', today's problem. We have a proposal for a vastly tall building on what looks to me to be an impossibly tight site; it's been a hole in the ground for months. If tall buildings are the 'answer' (to which question?), why are they the first victims of even the slightest economic breeze?
johnglas

Postby darkman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:04 pm

I dont think anyone has said the U2 tower has been scrapped. The DDDA say they are near to signing the contracts and construction would begin before the end of the year or early next year.

Im more concerned about the Point tower. I think this has been scrapped. I drove by the site yesterday and there is absolutely no sign of the tower going up. In fact I thought there was no room left for where the tower is meant to be! Maybe im wrong but I think this tower is not going ahead.
darkman

Postby cgcsb » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:33 pm

I was under the impression that construction had already started on the foundations
cgcsb

Postby theman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Other than demolishing the hailing station, nothing done on U2 tower to date. Ok - some site investigations as well. The work adjacent is Liam Carroll's building - the one that was to have the rival tower in the days of Dunloe Ewart's involvement. Planning for this tower was secured from DCC circa 2002, and expired in 2007 AFAIK. And, sespite what DDDA say, they do need some of Liam Carroll's land to realise the full footprint. This was the case with the BCDH tower, which was pretty modest. The new Foster design looks like it requried half the Grand Canal Basin to accommodate it....
theman

Postby shed » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:03 pm

The Watchtower basement slab is in place but there are still some issues with internal layouts n uses. Expect to see some real progress by the end of the summer I would imagine.
shed

Postby darkman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:52 pm

shed wrote:The Watchtower basement slab is in place but there are still some issues with internal layouts n uses. Expect to see some real progress by the end of the summer I would imagine.

Hi, do you have access to someone working on the project? Can you confirm the tower has not been abandoned and it is really just 'internal use' issues or is it just an assumption? Nobody seems confident this is going ahead particularly with the current housing market. Its the same with the U2 tower.
darkman

Postby shed » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

My source is on the design team for the Watchtower so it is reliable.
shed

Postby GregF » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:26 am

Ah, all of this is a load of old bollocks, the DDDA, the building proposal, U2 et all....all complete bollocks. Sure the auld bastards will be retired or dead by the time it is ever built, that 's if it is ever built. And sure who cares in any way now . Fuck it and the whole lot of them. The final proposal itself looked awful in any way, Very awkward looking pile of shite tarted up with lights and lasers. Looks as if the whole lotta of them were taking the piss really.
Should build 2 storey social housing on it instead, with red brick, pebble dash, tarmcadam drive ways for the beloved automobiles, some trees ( to take the harm out of it and that will be readily broken) and a ubiquitous Spar. Now that would be fucking classy and would sum up the last 15 odd years of the building boom.

Sure it's not even mentioned on Foster's website.

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Projects/ByLocation/Ireland.aspx
GregF
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:21 pm

So many alternative thread title puns to choose from:

*pop*

The forgettable fire / The unforgettable damp squib.

All that you can leave behind.

How to dismantle an atomic bomb (i.e. what the DDDA seems to be doing...).

Songs? Well, 'Lemon' is an obvious candidate for starters...
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby theman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 pm

Running to a standstill?
theman

Postby alonso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:03 pm

hold me, build me, diss me, kill me?
Stuck in a moment that you can't get out of
Bad
Sometimes you can't build it on your own