Info on housing schemes in Bayside, Donahies and Kilbarrick areas of Dublin

Info on housing schemes in Bayside, Donahies and Kilbarrick areas of Dublin

Postby Avril » Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:54 pm

Hi, I'm interested in the housing developments in these areas. My understanding is that most of the newer estates were built in the 70's. Was this to address housing crises at that time? Were the estates all social housing or not? Were a number of different architects involved and were there specificiations laid down for the type of houses built? What did the landscape look like before development and how did estates impact on natural features like streams?

In terms of green public areas, how were these decided on? What planting schemes were implemented? How are they now maintained?

Many of the housing estates have a strip of grass with trees between the footpath and the road. Who decided on what trees were planted? Was the choice of tree affected by fashion, height/width etc., ability to withstand vandalism?

Any information on the above would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Avril.
Avril

Postby dc3 » Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:50 am

Ok since nobody has replied here is the little I know. Others must know much more.

Bayside was mainly developed by, if I recall correctly, Mc Inerney Construction and was aimed at private owners. Was some of it built for/sold to the National Building Agency?
dc3

Postby Avril » Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:14 pm

Thanks dc3, will follow up McInerney and the NBA.
Avril

Return to Ireland