Macken St Bridge - Santiago Calatrava

Re: Macken St Bridge - Santiago Calatrava

Postby Service charge » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:35 pm

I have been pouring over google maps trying to figure an easy way to make it work. It just doesn't.

How do they expect this bridge to remove anything but a token amount of traffic from the city.

Matt Talbot bridge is one of the cities notorious traffic black spots. You have the north quays east bound, Gardiner St, Amiens St, Abbey St and the North quays west bound all feeding onto one bridge.

The traffic also has to cross on this bridge meaning trucks and buses from the port constantly block the bridge for traffic heading over matt talbot towards ringsend.

This bridge should be filtering traffic coming from the port tunnel and port away from matt talbot and also relieving Amiens and Gardiner St of some traffic.
Service charge

Postby notjim » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:10 pm

Dublin Cycling Campaign discuss the bridge:

http://www.dublincycling.ie/beckettbridge
notjim

Postby bigjoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 pm

just got this tweet from John Neary in the livedrive studios in the traffic control centre in response to a question asking what was the point of the bridge.

"LiveDrive
@bigjoe_dub It's really helping with Eastlink & Pearse so far, good option in & out of IFSC too. Next few months will tell how much it helps"
bigjoe

Postby wearnicehats » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:30 pm

another good thing about this bridge is that, if you are southside and stand in the right place, it almost totally obliterates that utter abject mind bogglingly awful conference centre.
wearnicehats

Postby Frank Taylor » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:38 pm

bigjoe wrote:agree with you 100% SC. I have to get to drumcondra from pearse street. the no right turn onto the quays makes no sense at all. i'll take a spin down on a sunday morning to have a proper look.
It's a direct journey...
pearse street, macken st, bridge, guild st, seville place, portland row, ncr, dorset street, drumcondra.

It has to be arranged to dissuade eastlink bridge traffic, otherwise it will just suck up all the toll dodgers and congest the city centre with traffic that previously skirted along east wall rd and sandymount strand.

It's going to be hard to put double deck buses across it with all the low bridges from the DART line. There might be a market for a route that crosses the DART line at Merrion Gates.
Frank Taylor

Postby bigjoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Frank Taylor wrote:It's a direct journey...
pearse street, macken st, bridge, guild st, seville place, portland row, ncr, dorset street, drumcondra.

It has to be arranged to dissuade eastlink bridge traffic, otherwise it will just suck up all the toll dodgers and congest the city centre with traffic that previously skirted along east wall rd and sandymount strand.

It's going to be hard to put double deck buses across it with all the low bridges from the DART line. There might be a market for a route that crosses the DART line at Merrion Gates.

thanks Frank. might try it this evening.
just in from DCC.
http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/PressReleases/PressReleasesDecember2009/Pages/NewTrafficInformationServicetoaidmotorists.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

New Traffic Information Service to aid motorists

Dublin City Council’s Roads and Traffic Department are playing a key role in a new Traffic Information Service to aid motorists in finding the best routes to take throughout the City. The RDS-TMC (Traffic Message Channel) technology will be demonstrated on Wednesday 16th December in the Wood Quay Venue of the Dublin City Council Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin at 11am.

The TMC service will be available to users of enabled satellite navigation devices and integrated car navigation systems. Unlike existing traffic bulletins, TMC messages will appear on the user’s satellite navigation device and will not only show the nature of a traffic problem when it occurs but will also show its exact location while also providing an alternative route to avoid the traffic issue and reach the desired destination. Other information such as weather warnings will also be included to make motorists aware of possible dangerous road conditions.

The Traffic Control Centre at the City Council will be the main source of traffic information for Dublin. With access to more than 200 cameras, direct contact with the Gardai, feedback from Dublin Bus and members of the public, the City Council has the most accurate and up to the minute picture of Dublin City traffic.

Brendan O'Brien, Head of Technical Services, DCC Traffic Division, commented, “this service adds to the existing channels that Dublin City Council use to provide traffic information to the public, such as the dedicated radio station “Live Drive” 103.2FM and the SMS and e-mail traffic alert system provided at http://www.dublinregionaltraffic.ie "

To reserve a place at this demonstration please e-mail niall.bolger@dublincity.ie
bigjoe

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Fuck the tolls.

Common sense and traffic management should come before the greed of tolls.
dave123

Postby foremanjoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:13 pm

dave123 wrote:Fuck the tolls.

Common sense and traffic management should come before the greed of tolls.

Nice paradox Dave, use of a profanity and an appeal for common sense in the same statement. Hey you're not a member of the Green Parliamentary Party by any chance, are you?
foremanjoe

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:13 pm

foremanjoe wrote:Nice paradox Dave, use of a profanity and an appeal for common sense in the same statement. Hey you're not a member of the Green Parliamentary Party by any chance, are you?

No are you....
dave123

Postby Service charge » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 pm

I can understand not wanting to take away from the Eastlink.

However it doesn't make any sense to frustrate people trying to get from south to Malahide Road, Coast Road areas. A right turn off seville place or right turn off the bridge to the tunnel/east wall road/alfie byrne road would enable a lot of traffic to use the tunnel.

At the moment it is only useful to get to the airport (accept for the tunnel) and NCR.

Meanwhile Matt Talbot is still a mess every evening.

I also like the way there is no bus lane up to the bridge, yet there is one on the bridge.
Service charge

Postby foremanjoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 pm

dave123 wrote:No are you....

Fuck you, dave123! Fuck you!!!
foremanjoe

Postby foremanjoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 pm

I would now like to withdraw my previous statement and apologise to the forum for the use of unforumlike language.
foremanjoe

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:23 pm

You have serious issues, which needs to be dealt with......:rolleyes:
dave123

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Service charge wrote:I can understand not wanting to take away from the Eastlink.

I don't.

Since O'Connnell bridge and all the others right up to Eastlink is congested, there is really no sympathy given to toll operators. Feck them totally. It's time we stop using money as our god and start re gaining common sense. Safety and common sense should become before the illogic of the toll operators wanting more money.
dave123

Postby foremanjoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:26 pm

dave123 wrote:You have serious issues, which needs to be dealt with......:rolleyes:

Lighten up dave123.

And maybe read a newspaper.
foremanjoe

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:28 pm

foremanjoe wrote:Lighten up dave123.

And maybe read a newspaper.

Just sort yourself out dude! It's simple. Try it. Could be good.
dave123

Postby foremanjoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:36 pm

dave123 wrote:Just sort yourself out dude! It's simple. Try it. Could be good.

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Thanks man, I needed someone to straighten me out.

I haven't been on an even keel for a while now.

Seriously thanks, this has cheered me up no end.
foremanjoe

Postby Bago » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 pm

The traffic lights are going to need some serious updating at the five lamps, tried this route today, there was light traffic and it still took forever. It struck me on the way how pointless it all seemed unless you put in a 70s style punchthrough going north from the bridge, it almost seems like it was the plan!
Bago

Postby bigjoe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:54 am

tried it last night at about 7pm. from the bridge up to the junction of ncr/Amiens there are about 7 sets of lights. the set at ncr/Amiens are still as bad as ever. as Bago said took me ages to get through with light enough traffic.
will stick to pearse st for the moment.
bigjoe

Postby StephenC » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:10 pm

I agree that this bridge is disappointing road users already. Some gripes from me include the "No Right Turn" at Seville Place onto North Strand. This should surely be a no brainer! However it is fair to say that Summerhil is much less busy than North Strand whcih may account for this restriction.
The sequencing of lights along Seville Place is terrible. There are about 5 or 6 sets which simply make yuou stop and start all the way along. Annoying.
Still at least as I am crossing the bridge from south to north I find out which direction the Wax Museum is! Thanks for that v. v. handy sign.
Im also taking bets on how long all that lovely lighting will last......
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Frank Taylor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:14 pm

The new bridge improves the outer orbital city route. Have a look at this map to see how it fits in

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Traffic/Documents/Outer_Orbital_Route.pdf

I'd say the lights do need to be resequenced around Seville Pl, Amiens St

haha foremanjoe very topical.

StephenC, how is the lighting holding up on the Joyce bridge?
Frank Taylor

Postby Service charge » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Hate to answer questions to other people but: the lighting on joyce bridge is terrible. One half of the ground lighting is out as are many individual lights.

Same story with O'Casey and Millenium.
Service charge

Postby Bago » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 am

Noticed this morning traffic coming south off the bridge is creating havoc for traffic coming from city along quays who have to squirm through misery hill to get south.
Bago

Postby Service charge » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:14 pm

I really want to like this bridge, I can't.

It is useless.

For instance: last night on the commute home amiens st and northstrand southbound was backed as far as east wall road.

So naturally I decided to take eastwall road to the docks hoping I could use the new bridge. But like about ten other cars the only way we could manage it was to turn right from the quays onto guild street and then do a U turn.

There restrictions really only have the eastlink in mind.
Service charge

Previous

Return to Ireland