Title: Macken Street Bridge
Awarding Authority: Dublin City Council
Publication date: 23-Jul-2004
Application Deadline:
Tender Deadline Date: 10-Sep-2004
Tender Deadline Time: 12:00
Notice Type: Tenders
Has Documents: Yes
Abstract: Dublin City Council is seeking Requests to Participate from suitably qualified bridge contractors for the construction of a new bridge across the River Liffey at Macken Street. The bridge is cable stayed with a curved inclined steel pylon. The bridge shall be capable of opening by way of a rotation mechanism housed in the base of the pylon.

More info at this link if it works:
http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?ID=JUL027198
kefu

Postby PVC King » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:07 pm

About time
PVC King

Postby asdasd » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:12 pm

Where is that street?

I assume that the bridge is in , or around, the Specer Dock non-development.
asdasd

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:03 pm

Macken Street - halfway between the Matt Talbot bridge and the East Link bridge
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:09 pm

I aways wondered why it was called the Macken St bridge, as it goes from Cardiff Lane to Guild St.

It is an exceptional design and it is a disgrace that it has sat in a filing cabinet for so long, Dublin CC should have been given the money for it at least three years ago.

It can not come soon enough for the docklands
PVC King

Postby asdasd » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:22 pm

So what is all that stuff behind the bridge in the Photoshop montage? Not there now, is it?

The new developments at Spencer dock?
What is the pole like structure?
asdasd

Postby notjim » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:27 pm

actually apart from the pole it is all there, the spencer dock development is this side of the bridge, there is a big hole there now.
notjim

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:36 pm

Think its a beautiful piece of work myself and will look great down there where the expanse of the river can be appreciated.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby asdasd » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:45 pm

It is beautiful, and that is my favorite part of the Liffey. The very existance of this bridge will bring people to it, and encourage walkers.

( Amazing how quiet, now, the quays get past Liberty Hall). I also wish, while I am on the subject, that the Custom house was open, in some way, to the public - museum maybe, though we have many already, rather than just being a pretty building owned by some government department.

notjim, I assumed that this photo was taken from Sir John Rogersons key, with Liberty Hall and the custom house on the far left.
asdasd

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:16 pm

Originally posted by asdasd
I also wish, while I am on the subject, that the Custom house was open, in some way, to the public - museum maybe, though we have many already, rather than just being a pretty building owned by some government department.

Isnt it? I've been in to a exhibition on the building itself
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby asdasd » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:21 pm

Well. I have just toured the city as as tourist with American friends and nowhere, in no literature, was the building mentioned as a potential tourist site; nor is it on any guided tours.

Right, so it is open. Must go in.
asdasd

Postby Morlan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:13 pm

Originally posted by Paul Clerkin

Blasted 4/5 story apartments!
Fantastic bridge though, I really like it. What's that pole thing in the background behind the apartments?

Originally posted by asdasd
So what is all that stuff behind the bridge in the Photoshop montage? Not there now, is it?

Would you like me to give the montage some special, morlan photoshop treatment?
Morlan

Postby PVC King » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:46 pm

I think the first building AIG House may see a little real photoshop treatment at some stage. It would make an excellent site for a landmark building as it is a small enough site to ensure that it wasn't too bulky.

It's also about the blandest of all the buildings in the second phase of the IFSC :o
PVC King

Postby Devin » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:01 am

I would guess that the pole thing is included as a generic replacement for the Nelson Pillar, before the Spire was decided (i. e. before December 1998). But they are way off with its positioning. From this vantage point today, the Spire would appear much closer to Liberty Hall.
Devin
Old Master

Postby kefu » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:35 am

The pole thing looks to me like a crane whose arm is facing directly at you or away, giving it the impression of being a single structure rather than L-shaped.
kefu

Postby kefu » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:40 pm

Also, I hope there'll be no complaints about this story being lifted by the newspapers from Archeire :-)
kefu

Postby shaun » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:28 pm

Nice bridge, why don't they replace that god- awful monstrosity that is the East-link with something as pretty, and presumably, safe.
shaun

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:23 pm

Originally posted by kefu
The pole thing looks to me like a crane whose arm is facing directly at you or away, giving it the impression of being a single structure rather than L-shaped.

thats what it clearly is in the original picture
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby ro_G » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:35 pm

looking forward to seeing this completed too. hope the construction moves quicker than the other calatrava
ro_G

Postby Morlan » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:44 am

Originally posted by Paul Clerkin

thats what it clearly is in the original picture

clearly? i would have though that the artist would have at least made it look more.. craneish.

It's amazing to see the new developments creeping down along the liffey. Just think what it will look like in 100 years to come. I foresee many more landmark buildings springing up along here in the future. :)
Morlan

Postby JL » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:23 pm

Has the design changed? I thought the original images were different - the main armature thing looked less like a bent pole and was a kind of elongated delta shape, quite wide at the base where it met the bridge. I'm sure I saw it as a model down the Corpo.

Or maybe I dreamed it.

At any rate, I'm not sure I like it - the junction between the vertical and horizontal elements is ugly.
JL

Postby JJ » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:27 am

I think the design has changed. The model in the Council Offices shows it has a thicker pylon with a circular hole through it. Also the pylon is curved more towards the bridge deck( not as upright).
JJ
JJ

Postby yee haw » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:37 am

The model in the CC definitely looked better than this image...proportions and vertical v horizontal looked more balanced...I agree with JL...that vertical just looks too scrawny...the model that was in the CC also had an arrow-tip to the end of the mainstay...not sure I miss that at all :)
yee haw

Postby Rory W » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:16 pm

I aways wondered why it was called the Macken St bridge, as it goes from Cardiff Lane to Guild St.

It does go to Macken Street - Guild Street is the one further back towards the Customs House (Citibank is on the corner)
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Devin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:33 pm

still think it has to be a pillar idea
Devin
Old Master

Next

Return to Ireland