John Ruskin / Dublin link

John Ruskin / Dublin link

Postby Starch » Thu May 27, 2004 5:34 pm

Outside chance here....but maybe someone can help....

I need to find out how John Ruskin (Writer, critic, artist & philosopher) influnced architecture in Ireland......in relation to

Deane and woodward's

1852-7 Museum Building- TCD

1859 Kildare Street Club

.......or any other places I don't know of....
cheers!

'The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become of it'
- John Ruskin (Bono's dad ; ))
Starch

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu May 27, 2004 7:37 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby trace » Thu May 27, 2004 9:56 pm

The Architecture of Deane & Woodward by Frederick O'Dwyer (Cork University Press, 1997 - 650 pages) is the key work. For example, it proves that the oft-quoted assertion that the Oxford Museum commission was awarded after Ruskin had visited the Trinity College Museum Building has no factual basis.

From the dust jacket: "Influences on Deane and Woodward are analysed, from those of Pugin and other contemporaries in the early days, to John Ruskin, whose precepts are reflected in their mature work, notably the Museum Building at Trinity College, Dublin (1852-57), the Kildare Street Club (1858-61), the Oxford Museum [their most important work, 1854-60] and the Crown Life Office in Blackfriars (1856-58). The role of Ruskin, the O'Shea family of stone carvers and the Pre-Raphaelites in Deane and Woodward's architecture is reassessed in the light of new material."
trace

Postby Starch » Fri May 28, 2004 3:40 pm

Thanks guys...that's great...interesting character....shame about the state of the Kildare Street club....I'm degressing here..but the Kildare St. Club is where Club orange got it's name! Interesting tale about the Darwin saga and the O'Shea monkeys from the Archeire files too.
Starch

Return to Ireland