Boland's Mill

Re: Boland's Mill

Postby ConK » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:26 am

there is a really large curved wall still there with a cafe on the corner. I don't know if it is the same one.
aren't the first and the last pictures taken from different ends of the building?
ConK

Postby phil » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:58 am

Graham Hickey wrote:
Just looking at those pictures, where is the tall left-hand tower/pavilion depicted in the first image in the second one? Or does the second photo show the building under construction, so it has yet to be built?
Even so, to leave such a major part out of the build to the final stages is rather strange...

I think it is still under construction in the second image down. There seems to be scaffolding on the east side of the building, and what looks to be either a wall or hoardings around the front. The cafe on the corner does not look to have come in to existence in the second image either, so I reckon it is earlier. The curved wall is still there too. Pity the lettering is gone. There is a 1916 commemoration on it now.
phil
Old Master

Postby Andrew Duffy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:05 am

I'm surprised at how much of the previous building is left, actually. When was it built?
Andrew Duffy

Postby Andrew Duffy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:13 am

That second picture is great. You can see the council flats on Maken St. under construction behind the building, and a large pair Georgian houses propped up on the corner of Macken St. and Grand Canal St. which are long demolished (dangerous buildings act I presume; the road was subsequently widened).
Andrew Duffy

Postby phil » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Are you sure about the Macken Street flats in the second image? I don't really see it, and would be suprised as they were built a good bit later I think. There is scaffolding, but I think that is for the Boland's building. It is a great image though.
phil
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:26 pm

The curved wall is still there - just not the lettering
d_d_dallas

Postby CM00 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:57 am

Just In case Anyone's interested, the Bakery today. Curve, as previously mentioned, still there. In fact I still like this perspective, It hasn't lost as much as I thought it had. Also, the Irish Nationwide building which is obviously of the same Genetic Family.

Graham, I think it's that the building is still being built, there appears to be scaffolding on the near side, and the curving wall is absent, You're right, what an odd way to approach it!

Andrew, the Building dates from 1948.

Conor.
Attachments
Bmill-a.jpg
Bmill-a.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Bmill-b.jpg
Bmill-b.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
Nationwide-Building.jpg
Nationwide-Building.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
CM00

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:11 am

Looks like you had a lovely evening all in all Conor :)
Stunning light in your pictures - in Docklands too.

Glad to see the wall is still intact - suffice to say I know Grand Canal St very little!
But isn't it a shadow of its former self - the lettering used to reinforce the curve of the wall, whilst the bone white capstones added emphasis to its shape, including the detail to the top left: this could all do with cleaning.

According to Liddy, the building was built in 1948 to the designs of S. Stephenson and Son of Belfast, which might help explain the similarity to many such buildings in the UK - the design is rather alien to here. It was constructed by who else other than Crampton.
That late tower is still very odd!

Both the commemorative plaque and street sign look decidedly daft in those positions, and flanked by a delightful array of clutter. What is that sign serving facing the wall?!
Interesting to see the modern lamppost has replaced the earlier one on precisely the same spot :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Andrew Duffy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:36 am

phil wrote:Are you sure about the Macken Street flats in the second image?

On further inspection, no.
Andrew Duffy

Postby GregF » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:40 am

Thats old Bolands building is an impressive structure in the B/W photo. I guess we have gone backwards since then. The Scott Tallon Walker proposed scheme is another one of their unimpressive banal offerings. Anyone know anyone who works with this firm of architects. Looks as if it may be a bunch of chimps reusing some old failed proposals from the 1960's.
GregF
Old Master

Postby NeilA » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks for the pictures of the bakery - my curiousity has been well satisfied. And i agree - it was a shame that the need was felt to "modernize" it....
NeilA

Postby phil » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:18 pm

It would seem that the days of the curved wall might be numbered. This building is presently subject to a planning application for a fairly large extension. Further information was requested on the 23rd of May, but there doesn't seem to be any details of that on the file as of yet (at least not on line anyway).

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2245/06&theTabNo=2&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=240371%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href='wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=311693%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:asc%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=240371%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E'%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E
phil
Old Master

Postby CM00 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:34 am

With regard to the Scott Tallon Walker site, from Sundays' Tribune.

The South Docklands is due to get yet another boost, if a planning application for the former Boland Mills Site at Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 4, Is accepted. The old mill, which was one of the key garrison sites during the Easter Rising of 1916, Eh no.. that was the "Treasury" Mill building.. is set to be developed by the Boland Mills' Development Company, a subsidiary of Benoth Propoerties, headed up by Sean Kelly.

The company is seeking permission for a major development designed by Scott Tallon Walker architects. It Will incorporate three new landmark office buidings, along with permission to convert an existing warehouse into a four-star boutique hotel. The architects brief was to create a self-sufficient business-orientated complex which would allow the users to have a "working lifestyle" . To this end, the architects incorporated the hotel, brasserie, cafe, and health spa. In addition, an existing multi-storey warehouse fronting onto grand canal dock, and Nos33 and 34 Barrow street are to be retained and converted into office use.

The new buildings, which range in height from 12 to 16 storeys, will be set in an impressive plaza extending from Barrow Street to the Grand Canal Dock, acting as a landmark :eek: centrepiece to the Grand Canal Harbour area. [U]Designed with the latest technology, the buildings will be energy efficient, have good natural light and openable windows on al floors[/U ]- Fair play, at least it has that going for it. I mean it's not all about how "nice" it looks - , a rarity in large office develpments.

The largest of the existing buildings will be the six storey cut stone warehouse, set to be converted into a 150 seater restaurant overlooking the waterfront, to be headed by celebrity chef Gray Rhodes.

The developers expect the restaurant, to be known as 'Rhodes D4' to become one of the trendiest spots in which to eat in the south docklands area.

The overall scheme will be called Bolands Mill Wharf and between the ofices, hotel restaurant and spa, around 2,000 poeole will be employed here. Plans for the site have come about as a result of discussions and consultation with both the planners, and local residents over the last 18 months
CM00

Postby The Denouncer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:14 pm

WOW. 12 to 16 storeys.
The Denouncer

Postby Bago » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:12 pm

That bridge will have to be done up at some stage aswell i'd say, it's gonna look pretty grotty surrounded by all the new buildings.
Bago

Postby a boyle » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:28 pm

jdivision wrote:[attach]2488[/attach]

Does anyone know what the address of this is ?
a boyle

Postby phil » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:16 pm

Is that for the purposes of looking up the planning application?

Try Barrow Street, Ringsend Road and Grand Canal Basin, or Bolands Mill in your search.
phil
Old Master

Postby a boyle » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

yes there are just too many different applications, none of which appear to come from this year .

is this land part of the docklands development area?
a boyle

Postby phil » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:45 pm

phil
Old Master

Postby a boyle » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:38 pm

thanks i was meaning to put in an objection . often things look better after looking at them for a little while , but this looks worse.
a boyle

Postby Lotts » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:46 pm

phil wrote:
Apologies for long link, but I don't know how to make it appear as one word with all the other stuff hidden underneath (any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated). Anyway, I think this is the main application from late July.

First, click on "go advanced
Then type in the word or phrase you want to become a html link - I used "link from phil" below.
Highlight the word or phrase
Click on the little globe looking icon ("Insert Link") above the text editing box that you are typing in.
When prompted, paste in the URL you are linking to - ://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg etc etc etc.
That's it

link from phil

Lotts

Postby phil » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks for that Lotts. I finally figured it out with your advice. Good to know.

Link to Bolands Mill Application
phil
Old Master

Postby manifesta » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm

a boyle wrote:i think i shall have to object.

Is one allowed to object on the basis of poor architecture ?

I hope so. I'm almost too blindsided by the ugliness, the sheer ostentatiousness of the design, to even formulate an intelligent objection. What a shame. This is one of my favorite sites in the city.

Out of curiosity, how long does it usually take before a decision is reached on these proposals? And are the concrete silos fated to go either way?
manifesta

Postby wearnicehats » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:29 am

phil wrote:It would seem that the days of the curved wall might be numbered. This building is presently subject to a planning application for a fairly large extension. Further information was requested on the 23rd of May, but there doesn't seem to be any details of that on the file as of yet (at least not on line anyway).

The Irish Georgian Society "aims to encourage an interest in and to promote the conservation of distinguished examples of architecture and the allied arts of all periods in Ireland. These aims are achieved by education and grants, planning participation, membership and fundraising"

I'd heard that John Ronan is a member of the Irish Georgian Society . I don't know if it's true but if it is wouldn't that be ironic
wearnicehats

Postby The Denouncer » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:35 am

I tell you one thing - I hate walking up Barrow St. these days. Its a horrible, mucky gritty mess of a street with never-ending developments and more to come. If you can get from one end to the other without getting eyes full of dirt then fair play.
The Denouncer

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland