Boland's Mill

Re: Boland's Mill

Postby shweeney » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:38 pm

good photos - though (as mentioned earlier in this thread) Dev didn't occupy this mill - it was the other Bolands Mill.

how did you get access btw? Or am I better off not asking - the place looks fairly dangerous...
shweeney

Postby 1soanes » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:00 pm

shweeney wrote:good photos - though (as mentioned earlier in this thread) Dev didn't occupy this mill - it was the other Bolands Mill.

how did you get access btw? Or am I better off not asking - the place looks fairly dangerous...

Thanks...yeah i didn't realise that De Valera didn't occupy this mill, the mill seem to be most famous for the fact that most people think he did occupy it, its hard to find out the correct information about the mills on the internet...

Getting into the place was easy, just had to climb over a low wall. It was quite dangerous however, on many of the floors a lot of the floorboards are unsafe to walk on.... well worth a visit though, and the view from the roof is simply amazing!
1soanes

Postby GrahamH » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:49 pm

Stunning photographs, 1soanes. Beautiful light expertly taken advantage of and extraordinary subjects. Thanks for sharing them.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby turtleB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:41 pm

Good day to you all ... I'm presently putting together a short history of the Docklands ... I'm uploading new information all the time but always interested in feedback ... there's a good chunk on Bolands here too ... the relevant page is http://www.turtlebunbury.com/publish...nds_index.html ... oh yes, anyone with any suitable photos, I'm game on ...
Best for now, Turtle
turtleB

Postby ctesiphon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:36 pm

The link doesn't seem to be working, and I couldn't find one on your homepage either. Any chance you could re-post it?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby notjim » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:30 pm

notjim

Postby ctesiphon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 am

So the DDDA has realised all of a sudden that there's something called 'heritage' down Docklands way? How convenient that it has promoted or permitted the relatively comprehensive erasure of most of that history before the belated effort to acknowledge it. So much easier to commission a book on the stuff once it's gone than to try to keep it while it's still around, eh?

It's not as if the heritage value of the area hadn't been documented- the School of Architecture in UCD carried out a full survey of the area, published in 1996, on behalf of the CHDDA, called Inventory of the Architectural and Industrial Archaeological Heritage.

That survey now reads like a new chapter of Lost Dublin, but one that was written whilst the buildings were still standing. What an odd sensation- to have your funeral before you've died.

This isn't a dig at your project, Turtle, it's a dig at the DDDA for its utterly shameful approach to the assessment, evaluation and protection of the cultural heritage of the area of the city for which it has been responsible (in one form or another) for over 15 years.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby turtleB » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 am

I understand your point. And I hope I can help rectify things with the book. Your comments on any specific stories would be welcome. Cheerio for now, Turtle
turtleB

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:19 am

You could just put my previous post in as your preface. ;)

For balance, like.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby pdosullivan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Sorry to resurrect this thread in a Lazarus fashion, but does anyone know what's going on at the moment? There appears to be some small-scale construction work happening on the site.
pdosullivan

Postby cgcsb » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:31 pm

If aqua vetro went ahead at this stage, I'd be very impressed. That is what's replacing most of the Bowland's mill site, right?
cgcsb

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes, if Aqua Vetro was to go ahead it would be great. It would complement its siblings Monte and Alto very well. Treasury Holdings appear to be going ahead with the Spring Cross scheme over in Ballymun given that they've signed up Vue to open a cinema there. If they're developing Spring Cross, why wouldn't they develop Aqua Vetro at the same time?
Cathal Dunne

Postby cgcsb » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 pm

hat's off to treasury holdings. Brave, and all their projects are very good quality.
cgcsb

Postby wearnicehats » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am

pdosullivan wrote:Sorry to resurrect this thread in a Lazarus fashion, but does anyone know what's going on at the moment? There appears to be some small-scale construction work happening on the site.

maybe it's John Ronan personally taking the top of a few pile caps to prove the loss of his dolce vita
wearnicehats

Postby pdosullivan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:09 pm

The big crane that was working on the Montevetro site was taken down over the weekend too, they're fairly advanced with that project. Obviously the fitting out has yet to start in earnest (and they're going to do it on a rolling basis as it's rented out I understand) but to echo one of the above comments, fair dues to Treasury for having such confidence.
pdosullivan

Postby Cathal Dunne » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:17 pm

pdosullivan wrote:The big crane that was working on the Montevetro site was taken down over the weekend too, they're fairly advanced with that project. Obviously the fitting out has yet to start in earnest (and they're going to do it on a rolling basis as it's rented out I understand) but to echo one of the above comments, fair dues to Treasury for having such confidence.

Yes, it'll be a great, high-quality, landmark office building with excellent transport links. I hope Google moves into it from over the road and Facebook, LinkedIn etc. move into Google's old place.
Cathal Dunne

Postby igy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18 am

Cathal Dunne wrote:Yes, it'll be a great, high-quality, landmark office building with excellent transport links. I hope Google moves into it from over the road and Facebook, LinkedIn etc. move into Google's old place.

Facebook have more than enough space where they are at the moment, and not sure about LinkedIn.
I have heard other people suggest a Google move to Montevetro though, something about wanting to bring everything under one roof while simultaneously getting away from some crappy contract terms where they are?
igy

Postby PVC King » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:01 am

They are only onerous terms if you are the tenant, Nama (I presume their existing building was part of the Liam Carroll tranche transferred) would I doubt let them off the hook, I wouldn't into this market. Albeit that the lack of supply for new grade A space coming on line will bring the market back into equilibrium within a few years.

That said their existing lease was signed for occupation in 2005 and you would anticipate a 15 year lease with a break on 10 years and with Montevetro likely to complete some time in 2011 it would make sense for them to take certain space in Montevetro with an option to acquire more at a future date; which is what they did at the gasworks in 2005.
PVC King

Postby jdivision » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:49 pm

They've been fairly emphatic they're not interested. Google has E100m to spend on a HQ, it would prefer to get one built to spec because they think the Carroll building thye're in is shit. If I was them I'd take the Liam Carroll one on the south docks where the basement's already in but planning expired. That way they could start going up as quickly as they want
jdivision

Previous

Return to Ireland