Boland's Mill

Boland's Mill

Postby phil » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:33 am

Does anyone know what is to happen to the concrete structures that form part of Boland's Mill? I think they are amazing looking structures but I am unsure as to what the plans are for their future.
Attachments
bolandsmill1.jpg
bolandsmill1.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 7327 times
phil
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:30 pm

I was wondering that too as the mill next door is getting the Treasury Holdings makeover at the mo. Would make super apartments. But being a DART station could just aswell be offices.
d_d_dallas

Postby phil » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:45 pm

Could those buildings be transformed into either apartments or offices? Would that not be very difficult to implement? I do agree though that the site is more than likely going to used for either of those two.
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:47 pm

They are protected structures so very little can happen to them. Even more interesting is the Odlums Mill on Alexandra Road in the Dublin Port and Docks, it is still operational and merits viewing
PVC King

Postby StephenC » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:51 am

Down docklands way.... has anyone seen the fab paving and street lighting the DDDA have installled on Grand Canal Basin.... check it out.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby phil » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:12 pm

I am sure they will be used for something!
The question is what?
An art museum?
A heritage museum?
Or even an Aldi or a Lidl?????????!!!!

They would make a great night club or concert venue.
phil
Old Master

Postby what? » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:16 pm

that reminds me of an art museum coversion that herzog de meuron did to a huge old factoryn somewhere in germany (cant remember the city) where they sharply cut some windows into the face of this huge unforgiving structure. very nice project. anyway.
what?

Postby PVC King » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:45 pm

There was a great abstract painting of the mills in Grogans on Sth William St at one stage. Is it still there?
PVC King

Bolands Flour Mills

Postby Caster » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:40 pm

Doesn anyone know what the plans are for Bolands Flour Mills? I presume the tall grey building attached to it is not being kept?
Caster

Re: Bolands Flour Mills

Postby Morlan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:19 pm

I don't know what's happening here. I'd definately like to see the smaller building converted to offices/apartments.

(c) fjp

As for the taller structure, perhaps this could be converted to apartments too. You could stick a few windows onto it.

Morlan

Postby MAcKER » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:42 pm

AFAIK Scott,Tallon & Walker are woking on this, so...(bites lip)..we have a fair idea of whats coming.
MAcKER

Postby Frodo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:19 pm

I work across the water from this building. Now and again you can see squatters moving around on the roof! I've heard there are raves there on occasion. A generator is brought in. Also, wouldn't the larger building make a great screen for outdoor cinema. Miller projected an ad onto the wall a few years ago. :cool:
Frodo

Postby alpha » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:14 pm

if they wanted to, they could do something very interesting with that site.
alpha

Postby ctesiphon » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:00 am

Agreed about the tall blank wall- I'd hate to see that building go, and I think it would be a pity to puncture windows in it. There's something about its starkness rising above the water that I find more sculptural than bleak.
Can't think what it'd be used for internally though, without light getting in from the west (west, right?). Still, that's the job for the architect! :)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby tommyt » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:58 pm

This bldng was sold for 42Million big ones acouple of months back. If you have access to ireland.com I would say there is a good bit in their archive on it. AFAI remember any apartments built on site will have the highest unit cost in the country.
tommyt

Postby ConK » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:56 pm

Construction work has started & all the lights are one these days. . .
ConK

Re: Boland's Mill

Postby phil » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:52 am

Versus Ltd have applied for planning permission to carry out what would appear to be preparation work on Bolands Mills. Still difficult to make out exactly what it will be used for, but the inclusion of marketing suites would indicate apartments to me. The reference number is 3321/06 and details are available on the council's planning search at http://www.dublincity.ie/business_services/planning/planning_search/

[quote="From Dublin City Council web-page"]Full Development Description

Permission is being sought for primarily internal work to provide site accommodation (4,279sqm) within both the existing six storey warehouse part over semi-basement referred to in the application as (Block B), which is a PROTECTED STRUCTURE]
phil
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:59 pm

yeah,
that's been up for a few weeks now. There's an image in STW's book sneakily tucked away in the index of this proposal. It's um... large.
d_d_dallas

Postby burge_eye » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:36 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:yeah,
that's been up for a few weeks now. There's an image in STW's book sneakily tucked away in the index of this proposal. It's um... large.

the agent is RPS, anyone know who the developer is?
burge_eye

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:57 pm

Can't help with that, though I think their name is up about the site at the moment on various signs, probably including the big planning applications that are everywhere too.

Is is an office development that's planned then d d dallas?
I wonder what the future is for this lovely Regency house on the site - it generates a fantastic, if bizarre, juxtaposition:

It doesn't look good however :mad:

The mill holds such a dominance over the area. I love how it towers over the little streets below:

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:58 pm

burge_eye wrote:the agent is RPS, anyone know who the developer is?

Sean Kelly's Benton Property Holdings, he's formerly of Ballymore and developer of Adelaide Square apartments in city centre and the Capel Building on capel st where gary rhodes is opening
jdivision

Postby phil » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:29 pm

In that case who are Versus? On the sign which I read it said 'Versus Limited, Adelaide Chambers, Peter Street, Dublin 8 intend to apply for permission for development at the site known as Bolands Mills..." and so on as in the above excerpt from the online information. Are they just agents acting on behalf of the developer? I got the impression that this was the developer from the various signs around the buildings (up until this point I had thought it was owned by Treasury Holdings)
phil
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:38 pm

phil wrote:In that case who are Versus? On the sign which I read it said 'Versus Limited, Adelaide Chambers, Peter Street, Dublin 8 intend to apply for permission for development at the site known as Bolands Mills..." and so on as in the above excerpt from the online information. Are they just agents acting on behalf of the developer? I got the impression that this was the developer from the various signs around the buildings (up until this point I had thought it was owned by Treasury Holdings)

Versus is still Benton Property. Basically, a lot of developers use subsidiary companies/special purpose vehicles to apply for each individual development it undertakes. It means that if anything goes wrong and the project went south, their other assets would not be affected. So Treasury Holdings for example never applies for anything in its own name, Castlethorn rarely does, the Kellys use several different companies, Liam Carroll owns a number of companies etc. However, if you saw promotional material for each of the developments it would state that it was being developed by Treasury, Castlethorn etc. Benton is just doing the same thing.
jdivision

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:56 pm

Nothing's changed since the '60s so ;)

A list of Protected Structures in the complex:

Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 4:

a) Boland's warehouse/mill at lifting bridge, Ringsend Road: six-storey stone warehouse
b) Boland's warehouse/mill to south and east of concrete silos fronting quay: six-storey, stone warehouse
c) Two-storey brick gables of warehouses fronting at (b) above, i.e. Boland's Ltd: warehouse
d) Four-storey brick warehouses/mill parallel to quayside to rere of 38-40 Barrow Street 3307
e) Five-storey warehouse/mill gable end to quay, north of (d) above
f) Three-storey warehouse with oriel window adjoining north side of (d) above

It seems the two houses are also protected:

Barrow Street, Dublin 4
:

No 33 House/offices including railings and steps
No 34 House/offices including railings and steps
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby phil » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:59 pm

jdivision wrote:Versus is still Benton Property. Basically, a lot of developers use subsidiary companies/special purpose vehicles to apply for each individual development it undertakes. It means that if anything goes wrong and the project went south, their other assets would not be affected. So Treasury Holdings for example never applies for anything in its own name, Castlethorn rarely does, the Kellys use several different companies, Liam Carroll owns a number of companies etc. However, if you saw promotional material for each of the developments it would state that it was being developed by Treasury, Castlethorn etc. Benton is just doing the same thing.

Ah I see, thanks for that jdivision.
phil
Old Master

Next

Return to Ireland