Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: Talbot Street, Dublin

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:04 pm

sparbucks...
d_d_dallas

Postby GrahamH » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:06 pm

Super Valu is sharpening its knives directly across the road - hopefully they'll eat it alive.

The last building is quite literally a box with holes punched in for windows - the brick used is not nice either, that multi-shade variety.
You have to love the chateau first floor windows though, all that's missing are some Louis XVI frilly balconies and a grieving maiden or two :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:02 pm

Graham Hickey wrote:Super Valu is sharpening its knives directly across the road - hopefully they'll eat it alive.

The last building is quite literally a box with holes punched in for windows - the brick used is not nice either, that multi-shade variety.
You have to love the chateau first floor windows though, all that's missing are some Louis XVI frilly balconies and a grieving maiden or two :)

You're so roght about the supervalue it is huge in comparison to the Spar and has a much more user freindly format as well.

Regarding the latest addition to the Street as it is Christmas I will be generous, the proportion is quite good... for a piece of furniture.
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:43 pm

Now that Iceland are pulling out of the Republic (the supermarket that is :)), and Musgraves & Co are sniffing about, what's the likelihood of another Spar/Centra/Super Valu/Mace moving in to their Talbot St unit?

It would officially be the Convenience Capital of Western Europe.
I don't know what the locals do when they venture out to other areas of the city - must be shell-shocked at the notion of having to walk more than 8 yards for a pint of milk :eek:
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:46 pm

There are no locals - they've all been displaced by convenience stores ;)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:05 pm

I'm glad Iceland are pulling out - one less UK brand in Ireland. Let just hope that Tesco don't snap up all of Iceland's stores. Grrr
Morlan

Postby Alek Smart » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:02 pm

I`m not as yet convinced by all of this "Convienience Store" stuff........well ok maybe the Con....bit..
The entire genre appears to owe little to any sense of community or the oft misused term "Living City".
One of the most enduring aspects of a visit to Paris for example is the surprising number of Owner Operated SHOPS as opposed to sterile mini-markets such as Super/Spar/mace etc etc.
These little places appear to subscribe to the open-all-hours principle and feature the proprietor and family members sitting readin or listenin to Arab radio stations.
From experience these places stock a range of "Stuff" easily as great as the SterileStore and often in sensible open portions too.
I am old enuf to remember the debate which surrounded our entrance into the EEC and the political heavies who were wheeled out to tell the native Irish that we had to modernize or face eternal damnation and be lost forever.
The corner shop simply had to go,it was inefficent,unhealthy and unable to cater for the then modern societal needs (1970`s).
Well shiver me timbers,whaddya know......having popped a waistband button on my trousers during a visit to Brussels last year I was directed to a small seamstress/haberdashery where at nine o clock of an evening I was able to have that single button refitted in jig time for €2 by a VERY nimble fingered lady.
Thankfully a large swathe of Europe has managed to take the Original bland grey mass of EEC/EU regulations and use the bits of value to them whilst nodding in the direction of the rest.
Ireland,however,in its rush to be liked continues to impliment and police quite a few of the more nonsensical ones as was witnessed by last years fiasco in Galway when the Local Health Boards resident young PC zealot swooped on the French Farmers Market which had been Invited to operate there during arts festival week .
The youtful grad dutifully slapped closure orders on a number of the stalls on a wide range of public health issues.
Sadly the Health Board had not the Balls to question itself as to why France,with its preponderance of such food and produce markets manages to keep its citizens remarkably free from some of the forms of Cancers and Circulatory diseases which continue to ravage the native Irish population whilst the frogs sell their cheese and agricultural produce fresh from the farm without chilling and wrapping it in plastic first.
Or maybe its the lack of a good home grown grape variety that is the nub of the problem...... :)
Alek Smart

Postby StephenC » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:32 am

I fully agree with poeples thoughts on the convenience store pandemic thats recently hit the city :) It getting out of hand...in fact its gotten out of hand. I know that the CC last year refused an application on OConnell St on the ground that there wer more than enough of these stores about. They really should think about other areas pf the city. The fact that these stores figure on so many of the threads here says it all.

I think it highly likely a convenience store will want this location but the fact is there is a large SuperValu just completed at Independent House, a large Spar across thew road, a Dunnes Stores on North Earl Street and about 5 other newsagents/convenince stores on the street (including another Spar, a Centra and another Centra on the way for N Earl St!!) Surely thats sufficent.

But of course we know well that the CC are hesitant to intervene in the market...they woud rather moan from the sidelines or else let things go to rack and ruin and then pick up the pieces (rather expensively) in 10 years time and say it will never happen again (OConnell St anyone). Ate last night at Talbot 101 - possibly the only decent restaurant in the hole area! John Fitzgerald wants more but his planners seem intent only on pandering to the needs of the convenince store lobby. Give us a bit more variety to our streets. If the market wont do it of its own accord then oblige them to! :mad:
StephenC
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 am

Just on this building at the junction of Marlborough Street as mentioned in another thread, it really is a shame what a decrepit state it is in:

Not only is it a lovely building, reminicent of many European townhouses, but it also appears to be a very rare early Victorian facade in a city centre that was stripped of them in 1916 and 1922.

It's actually a good example of what parts of then Lower Sackville Street used to be like: tall Wide Streets Commission buildings with applied Regency/Victorian stucco decoration, though in this case it seems the entire building dates from the 1830s-40s, possibly even townhouses orginally which would make it rarer still.

The windows are so remarkably early that it's a wonder they've survived - that's Talbot Street for ya :)

Simple 1820-1840s horns:

Also unusually tall elegant windows:

The stucco requires a lot of repair:

At last the bulding was recently sold, marketed as suitable for apartment development to the rear, so hopefully we'll see some action soon. Surprisingly this building isn't protected from what I can make out, so those Georgian sashes may very well disappear.
Note it's also heavy stapled at the top:

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Has anything been done to this building or any application been made to alter its internal arrangement.

Something really should be done as this is really very unsightly and undermines much of the progress made on other sections of the street in recent years.
PVC King

Postby Devin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:59 am

That stucco building above could be lovely.

Does anybody know what is happening with these hoarded off buildings (below) on Talbot Street? Can’t search cos I don’t have street numbers (& can’t be arsed trawling through 177 Talbot St apps on the CC’s site).

The building up against the bridge is quite nice. It is clearly a late-Victorian or Edwardian copy of a Dutch-influenced, late-17th/early-18th century house with narrow windows & decorative gable, the ones we are told Dublin was full of back then. A lot of original gable-fronters were still being demolished throughout the 20th century, as documented by Maurice Craig, yet this careful copy shows that there must have been some awareness of their type around 1900 ..….. or …… is it a refacing of an original which had a similar facade? That would be quite interesting. Either way, I hope it is not just about to be demolished ….. hope ….
Attachments
Copy of DSCN3392.JPG
Copy of DSCN3392.JPG (103.4 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
Copy of DSCN3391.JPG
Copy of DSCN3391.JPG (118.58 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
Devin
Old Master

Postby tommyt » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:09 pm

Had a brief chat with the proprietot of the internet cafe that was there before it started to redevelop. He said it was structurally unsound but the council wouldn't let the owners knock it. From viewing the inside of the building from the top deck of the bus I think this is the case. There are a lot of RSJ's and other supporting beams up inside the shell at present. The internet cafe guy was hoping to relet the premises when finished
tommyt

Postby newgrange » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:08 pm

Nos. 42,43,44 and 45 were the 'New Electric' cinema in 1938 and before that the 'Electric' was at 44 and 45 (from 1911).
It later became a 'Cinerama' with the associated big screen in 1963 and in 1972 the Capitol moved there following its closure in Prince's Street. It continued as a cinema til 1974, was empty til about 1977 or so and then became a carpet showroom.
newgrange

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:16 pm

There was cinema signs on the building until the late 1980s anyway because I recall seeing them on my way to trains in Connolly as a student.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby dc3 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:24 am

The New Electric Cinema, set back at a angle to Talbot Street and approached by a long passage from the Talbot street entrance, was completely demolished in late 2005.

There was, I understand, apartments (what else) to be constructed on this site, which is accessed from Amiens Street also. Progress should most easily be viewed from the DART or rail line. As the photo shows, the Talbot Street facades are retained.
dc3

Postby StephenC » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:28 am

Yes they're part of the greater scheme just behind the rail bridge
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Which includes a new street linking through to Foley street
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Devin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 pm

tommyt wrote:Had a brief chat with the proprietot of the internet cafe that was there before it started to redevelop. He said it was structurally unsound but the council wouldn't let the owners knock it. From viewing the inside of the building from the top deck of the bus I think this is the case. There are a lot of RSJ's and other supporting beams up inside the shell at present. The internet cafe guy was hoping to relet the premises when finished
Thanks. The building is definitely worth retaining.
Devin
Old Master

Postby tomk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:45 pm

GrahamH wrote:Now that Iceland are pulling out of the Republic (the supermarket that is :)), and Musgraves & Co are sniffing about, what's the likelihood of another Spar/Centra/Super Valu/Mace moving in to their Talbot St unit?

It would officially be the Convenience Capital of Western Europe.
I don't know what the locals do when they venture out to other areas of the city - must be shell-shocked at the notion of having to walk more than 8 yards for a pint of milk :eek:

I saw an add in today's Metro advertising for staff for TESCO Express for a new outlet in Talbot Street. I wonder where they are locating (the unoccupied rebuilt building opposite Irish Life Mall that used to be called Mallmart?) I don't recall any other large building on that street that would facilitate a Tesco store. Echoing the poster's comments above, Talbot St really will be the Convenience capital of Euope with Dunnes, SuperValu, 3 Spars and now a Tesco - I'm sure I'm leaving out one or two other convenience stores!
tomk

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:24 pm

GrahamH wrote:Just on this building at the junction of Marlborough Street as mentioned in another thread, it really is a shame what a decrepit state it is in:

Something worth noting- I spotted recently that this building has a corrugated roof.

(Thanks tomk for reviving the thread- I couldn't find it a while ago to post this fragment of info.)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:54 pm

The Tesco is planned for the vacant units of the residential building opposite Irish Life Mall (as you suggest Tomk). Another interesting application on the street is for a mosque to be located just a few doors up in what I think is a B&B now (just after the D of Education building).

That building is a disgrace! How muvch would a slap of paint cost. Still the Bag Store building which was looking pretty crumby until recently was cleaned and restore over the past month and looks so mcuh better for it.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:56 pm

And...almost forgot...that monstrosity down the end of Tablot Street with the "new street". What a mess!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Devin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:43 am

There was a 19th century terrace demolished to build the Independent’s new offices. Not terribly sustainable.
Devin
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland