Talbot Street, Dublin

Postby StephenC » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:01 pm

Talbot Street is dreadful isn't it. There are a number of new developments going up on the lower end of the street. But it still retains the air of a rundown country town (no offence to rundown country towns intended).

Mary Street is looking so forlorn too. Although, what about that new redevelopment of St Marys Abbey with its attached tower/lift shaft/stairwell thingy. Its a pub isnt it? The rest of the street is crying oput for some amalgamation of exisiting buildings to allow bigger shop units and get some new tenants in. I suppose it didnt help the DCC didnt extend their repaving of Henry St into Mary Street.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby redeoin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:12 pm

I still like my architectural competition idea. Imagine that 60 architects were let loose on the street with a building each to play with!

Ten buildings a year for six years.

I could turn into the quirkiest, most exciting street in Europe, let alone Dublin.
redeoin

Postby StephenC » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:16 pm

It would be a major inporvment on the bland rubbish they are building now. And I would pay to see the wrecking ball rid us of the joys of (former) Lenehans orange box thing....
StephenC
Old Master

Postby redeoin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:21 pm

Mall Mart - with it's cunning play on WalMart.

You gotta love it...
redeoin

Postby Rory W » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:24 pm

Is there anything on Talbot Streetworth keeping - nothing leaps to mind at the moment.

At the railway end if you are heading north on the Train you can saee the vast areas that are being redeveloped down that end of the street. More of the same please
Rory W
Old Master

Postby notjim » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:53 pm

The buildings on the north between the railway bridge and amien street are ok, espessially the corner building and no. 44, the dutch billy style one. there is a planning ap for 38? to 45, basically demolish everything except the facade of 44 and 45, two six story mixed use blocks and a new street connecting talbot street and foley street. probably will be an improvement.
notjim

Postby StephenC » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:27 pm

Guineys?...clutching at straws here..
StephenC
Old Master

Postby ew » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:04 pm

I love the competition idea!

There's only 12 buildings listed on this street, which given it's location would could make it the worst developed street in Dublin.

The listed few are :

Talbot House (Department of Education?)

11-19 (block of 9 buildings from O'Neills Shoes up to O'Sheas Hotel at corner of gardiner street lower)

59 Licenced Prem
74 Licenced Prem

One of these I'm sure is on the corner with Talbot Place and is well worth a look. If you are walking from Connolly Station its at the first corner to your left. Before bridge. Look above the windows and you'll see quite detailed plaster(?)work with the heads of some foreign looking chaps (all different). The building, I'm told, was a tea store once upon a time and of course nothing sells tea better than a caricature of a china man. It's build details such as these that make dublin wonderful. Can't remember the name of the pub at the moment but they gave me a fine pint not so long ago.

And of course there's some Joycean places on the street (and every other street in Dublin!) if you're that way inclined:

Olhausen’s pork butcher at 72 Talbot Street
Barclay and Cook Bootmakers 104 Talbot Street
Gillen’s Hairdresser at 64 Talbot Street
O’Beirne Brothers Tea and wine merchants at the corner of Talbot and Mabbot (Corporation) Streets
Baird’s stonecutting works 20-25 Talbot Place
ew

Postby GrahamH » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:46 am

Unfortunatly some dignified buildings were lost in the Dublin Bombing in the 70s
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:34 pm

I know that pub you mention ew, one of the finest buildings on the st, it has a black 'shopfront' and is bricked above st level, with detailed cornicing & eaves etc, a charming Victorian building.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Zap » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:14 pm

The pub you refer to is called Molloys - I prefer Cleary's pub around the corner on Amiens St. but Molloy's is very good too. Shame that the first floor is rented to a construction company who insist on advertising with the tackiest plastic sign - it really takes away from what is a fine corner building.
Zap

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:08 pm

Molloys is a lovely building... Clearys is a great pub
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:34 pm

Theres another classic Victorian pub, on the outside at least on Pearse St that's really fantastic, its 3 storeys, with deep eaves and all round-topped sashes intact.
(just though I'd throw that in)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby notjim » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:23 pm

o'neill's?
notjim

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:08 pm

No idea!

North Earl St is looking very fine with all of its overflowing hanging-baskets.
Top marks CC!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:08 pm

There is a lot of activity on Talbot Street at the moment, planning applications, new schemes and most of it has been dug up. Does anyone know if there are any plans to introduce a new paving layout on the Street?
PVC King

Postby StephenC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:39 pm

I think the existing paving layout is being retained and repaired. It has been in like a warzone for some time now. What are peoples impressions of the new additions to the street? I think the grandly named Moland House is quite nice and definately a good replacement for Lenehans orange barn. The new copper and wood clad building on the south side opp James Joyce St is also quite a good addition. Im not convinced by the boring redbrick and glass offices opposite it. So many of these new schemes seem to be devoid of imagination.

Finally a planning notice has gone up for the currently delapidated siite around the railway bridge here. It included a new pesedtrain street through to Foley St.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby GregF » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:48 pm

I agree...the Lenehans replacement is a good piece of infill.
GregF
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:30 pm

Yes - not a fan of the rendered section but overall nice - the brick is a very good match to the neighbouring early Victorian terrace.
Let's not mention the ground floor though :)
I think the best aspect of the dev is that it's residential, it has a positive impact on the street.
Some things remain the same though - there was a big scuffle of sorts on it yesterday at about 9 in the morning, about 100 people had stopped in various places to watch the proceedings - construction workers had to intervene.
Various comments of 'I love this street, always great for the entertainment' etc being made :)

There's a new water-main being laid, hence the mess. The obstacle course is being retained however, save some Mall-type red surfacing being added.

Here's the new red-brick from a few weeks ago - the corner is nice but I cannot believe that plastic or whatever they are infill panels are still being used in 2004. The residential red-brick across the road is a nice contribution too I think.
Attachments
talbot st.jpg
talbot st.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:06 pm

Originally posted by StephenC

Finally a planning notice has gone up for the currently delapidated siite around the railway bridge here. It included a new pesedtrain street through to Foley St.

There are great things happening down on Foley St, up to a couple of years ago it was one of the most derelict streets in Dublin, now with this application the final piece of the rejuvination jigsaw s complete. I haven't seen the application and I hope that it is a positive addition to the streetscape.

Graham,

The picture you posted is the new Independent newspaper offices, it is one that definitely didn't translate well fom the renderings to the flesh. But from an Urban economic viewpoint it will probably have the desired effect.
PVC King

Re: Talbot Street, Dublin

Postby GrahamH » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:13 pm

It's interesting that if you take out the corner glazing, the building falls flat on its face in design terms.

Here's the new residential infill, again from a few weeks ago - the ground floor has since been clad in lots & lots of shiny granite:
Attachments
Talbot 1.JPG
Talbot 1.JPG (76.81 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:15 pm

And another view:
Attachments
Talbot 2.JPG
Talbot 2.JPG (73.37 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:02 pm

21/12/2004

Here's some more pics of two neighbouring developments on the street, the contrast in quality between the two is notable. Both are across the road from 'Independent House'.

This one is the better of the two, a very good quality red-brick has been used in this building and the overall standard of finish is very high. The over-use of brick recently has recieved a lot of criticism and justly so in most instances, but it still has a role to play and is more than suited to attractive pieces of infill such as this. The timber detail is equally fine.
Perhaps one criticism to be made here is why red brick had to be used - brown could have worked equally well next to the stock brick of the neighbouring Victorian pub.
Attachments
Talbot Wide 1.JPG
Talbot Wide 1.JPG (72.24 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:04 pm

And a corner view:
Attachments
Talbot Wide 2.JPG
Talbot Wide 2.JPG (80.84 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
GrahamH