iveagh market

Re: iveagh market

Postby Global Citizen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:27 pm

ac1976 wrote:Eh I think we need a new Dublin City Development plan, these markets (Iveagh and smithfield) need to be saved as markets. Its just silly to think a hotel would be a good idea for the sites.

New Development Plan could = limiting planning permission of the site to allow market activity only as I think the people of Dublin would want.

I agree.
40 years after the destruction of Les Halles, Parisians still lament the loss of "The belly of Paris" as Emile Zola called it. Baltards graceful pavilions were sacrificed on an alter of private greed, bureaucratic incompetence and political compromise. The subterranean monstrosity that replaced it (Forum Les Halles) only adds insult to injury and the pigeon droppings that cover the place are the only feature that gives this shopping centre any character.

Surely Dublin wouldn't make the same mistakes.

Would it ?
Global Citizen

Postby DjangoD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:50 pm

tommyt wrote:a good set of sharp elbows and an eye for a diamond in the rough is eesential for any flea marketeering. It's a real pity this hasn't taken off in Dublin on a bigger scale-either in a purpose built place or on the streets.

It really is a pity. And the argument that Dublin's crappy weather (for street trading) and large amount of gougers work against such plans is invalid when you look at London's amazing market culture. They have their fair share of rain and louts and they manage to make it work admirably.

If we could get anything like that we'd be lucky.
DjangoD

Postby dermot_trellis » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:14 am

Not knowing the history of the Markets, is there any specific reason why they closed the building in the first place (other than to sneakily redevelop it)? Structurally unsafe or something like that?.. Living nearby I would love to see it back open as a proper market.
dermot_trellis

Postby Yixian » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:03 pm

DjangoD wrote:It really is a pity. And the argument that Dublin's crappy weather (for street trading) and large amount of gougers work against such plans is invalid when you look at London's amazing market culture. They have their fair share of rain and louts and they manage to make it work admirably.

If we could get anything like that we'd be lucky.

Very true, and Dublin benefits similarly from having this two well placed and generally preserved old market buildings - plus I'm sure that there's a market for decent.. markets, and there's obviously no lack of supply, Ireland being Ireland.

Would be nice to see some solid plans to turn Iveagh and Smithfield back into burgeoning farmers markets.
Yixian

Postby cheezypuf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:21 pm

It's been 14 years now that this market has been closed and festering. Pity. We could really do with a proper covered market. Anyone any idea if there are any plans for development or will they continue to rot 'till they're demolished?
cheezypuf

Postby pico » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:49 am

Irish Times mentioned it on Saturday, although I don't know where the information comes from...

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/20 ... 66473.html
pico

Postby LOB » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Some Photographs from 1986 in the RTE library
http://tinyurl.com/6ksz3ry
LOB

Previous

Return to Ireland