O' Connell Street, Dublin

Postby Morlan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:35 am

What a disaster! I cant believe the lights have gone out already. This will probably be an ongoing problem from now on.
Morlan

Postby JackHack » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:03 pm

The lights look a lot more impressive when there's a decent wind to sway the top, the sparkling affect makes up for the relative dimness of the it.
Perhaps they could modify it so the internal lights would sway even on a still evening.

Or perhaps just tape a few fairy lights to it, they usually last for a few weeks aswell.
JackHack

Postby Morlan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:16 pm

This may have been asked before but why dont they light up the whole Spire with flood lights?!!?!?
Morlan

Postby GrahamH » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:33 pm

This is due to happen, presumably when the 'dressing' of the st gets underway ie, lighting, trees, benches etc.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby what? » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:51 pm

i like the way it dissapears into the nights sky. i dont think it should be floodlit at nighttime. its an absouloutely magnificent project, its just a pity that the finish and light at the top were a done with such poor quality

spike for the stirling prize!!!
what?

Postby Cadman » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:23 pm

why dont they stick an angel on top and decorate it like a christmas tree...come on people not a very exciting project if u ask me... im in town nearly every day and i look more at the ann summers shop across the street than i do at the spike.
Cadman

Postby what? » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:00 pm

why dont they they strap some air horns to the side of it and employ people to scream in your face if you dont look at it.
the scheme executes a very difficult feat in being both modern and timeless. it is extremely simple, layered with meaning and has many subtleties which give it a quiet richness. i see it a few times every day from mary street (one of the best views of it) and still marvel at its elegance and changing appearence depending on the light conditions.
i will agree that close up on o connell street it is let down by staining and that rubbish pattern at the base, but i think the spike is a monument we should all be proud of.
what?

Postby GrahamH » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:20 pm

Spot on

The Mary St view is my favourite too.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby emf » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:21 pm

I'm afraid to say that the new paving which was only unveiled lately around the Spire has already been destroyed by chewing gum!!
emf

Postby Zap » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:14 pm

I'm afraid I find the finished result of this long coming Sprike a mere dirty pole topped with faint and certainly unspectacular (in spite of all the promises and what was talked about on this noticeboard) lights.

I pass by it every single day as I work on Abbey St. and just wonder could they not have come up with something better (they certainly had the time to).

I'm not impressed and apart from those opinions expressed on this noticeboard, know very few who are.

As for those who say it is layer in meaning - I'm afraid I find such a statement laughable.

Where I get the bus on Parnell Sq. has to be the worst view - even worse than the actual view from O'Connell St.
Zap

Postby GrahamH » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:55 pm

It is an incredibly beautiful structure and its design has been hugely successful - although I always thought it was a bit too stout, should be taller, hence slenderer.

It's problems lie with the finish and the lighting.
I saw the lit tip for the first time in 'real life' yesterday - oh dear, now I know what you're all talking about.

I see what Jack means about the lights (what ones are working) glittering as it sways - very effective.

It was lashing rain yesterday evening and there was 3 rivers of water plummeting down the 120 metres of its profile, and I'm such a child - had to go over and put my hand underneath one of them, it filled with water in about half a second! (and then overflowed over my feet)
Incredible, esp as the torrents then disappear down the tiny gap between it and the base, on top of the LEDs beneath.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:29 am

Can't agree with you graham. Its a lost oppurtunity as far as i'm concerned
sw101

Postby what? » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:28 pm

what oportunitis do you think were lost with the spire?
what?

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:45 pm

The plaza and lots of trees.
Limes down the centre, I think poplars down the sides.
Attachments
' connell street plans.jpg
' connell street plans.jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby phil » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:28 pm

Those five or so random pillars in the image are'nt going ahead are they? The ones which are facing opposite to the GPO!
phil
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:48 pm

I've hated these yokes since the beginning - talk about stealing the GPO's thunder!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby phil » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:19 pm

Sorry Graham, don't get me wrong, I was wondering if they are to be built or not? Does anyone know what the story with them is?
I think they would look a bit odd and a bit of a poor attempt to reflect the GPO.
phil
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:43 am

Very odd indeed - I don't know if they're going ahead, heard no mention of them at all.
Suppose it must be remembered that althought the tree plans etc are still correct, these images to date from 1998.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:20 pm

Passed down the st last night and another big hole being dug outside the Sony Centre (beside Clerys) has revealed what would appear to be the original Wide Streets Commision paving from around 1800.

There's a line of wide kerbstones at the bottom of the pit about a metre from the surface - interestingly though no paving slabs.
Admittedly for all I know these could have been laid here by the contractors, but they appear to be very old, and the slabs are quite small, smaller than many of the later Victorian 'antique paving' kerbstones seen elsewhere in the city.
It looks like they've just been excavated, the workers were all standing around looking at them and on phones etc - then again they're always doing that...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:56 am

Stainless steel traffic light poles have been erected as requested Graham! Now we shall see how the plaza will fare under pressure fo traffic. The newly laid areas will soon for the carriage was along this strech as the side pavements are repaved.

Also isnt its the dumbest thing ever. OC St is left all year without any major work taking place anbd then come Xmas shopping time the whole place gets dug up. The latest is the relaying of granite paving at the entrance to Henry St and at N Earl St.!! Why now! Why not last March!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:56 pm

Had to laugh at this, there's been tarmac on the Henry St area for months if not years, and they dig it up in the weeks running to Christmas - you'd wonder, really.

Saw the poles - very snazzy.

Also impressed at how undamaged the base of the Spike is - people are literally to afraid to touch it for fear of attack from the public (or more likely the Guards outside the GPO)

The Clery's christmas trees are fantastic as always - the best christmas sight in Dublin for many years.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:13 pm

Theres a load of black bricks being churned up by the big hole mentioned previously - maybe some rubble from 1916?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Zap » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:17 pm

People afraid to touch it? How undamaged? Are you talking about the same thing as the rest of us Graham?

I saw the familiar scrawlings of graffitti - people's names in black marker - on it a couple of weeks ago (and not just on one day) either.
Zap

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:52 pm

Yup - was walking past the base of the spike the other day... there are literally scrawl marks on it already - some dumb c%$t's initials with a compass or something similar. Classy.
People were also quite UNafraid to touch it - faces up against the metal.

Spire of Dublin - RIP.
d_d_dallas

Postby GrahamH » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:51 am

Really?
Obviously I need glasses - then again I do pass only one side of it - not that it has sides of course.
Think its fair to say though that it hasn't sufferered the horror stories predicted like spray graffiti etc - although the sneaky damage as you mention is arguably more offensive.
GrahamH
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland