Santiago Calatrava

Postby emf » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:40 pm

2005 for the Macken St bridge wouldn't be too bad at all!!, Hopefully they learned from the James Joyce bridge experience and can keep to budget and schedule!!!
emf

Postby sw101 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:23 am

what did ppl think of the documentary? i managed to stay awake til the end.

thought his thesis was interesting. great imagination but one gets the sense its all done for its own sake. and the pretense of decorating your own home with your own amazing works is astonishing. nice angle with the spines, but is he thinking of himself as a modern day leonardo?
sw101

James Joyce Bridge

Postby Ivar Leivestad » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:00 am

Congratulations to Dublin once more!
Dublin should be proud of it's efforts to make the urban setting both beautiful and modern. The Spire and now the James Joyce Bridge are both examples for other cities in Europe to follow. We are eagerly awaiting the next bridge across the Liffy down at the Docklands and the extention of the walkways along the Liffy. Good luck on your urban improvement!
Ivar Leivestad

Postby GregF » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:02 am

As SW101 says .....I think he is thinking of himself as a modern day Leonardo...I thought that too.......but the work and the structures that he has produced are quite characteristically Calatravesque and unique. See that roof ...what a feat of engineering.....will we ever see the like here in Ireland....I doubt it.
His creative processes are initially childish I thought....like the sketch outlines of the hand ...the eye drawings, etc..... but the final works are that of a master. Whatever it takes I suppose; playful exercises for the mind to get the creative juices flowing.
His scuptural works were quite brilliant too.

Thanks Ivar for the nice comments ....many people in Dublin, Ireland would like to see many more great eyecatching building projects.
GregF
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:06 pm

'That roof' presumably referring to the train station, in which case WOW!

Was'nt it exquisite, and for once it wasnt crudly utilitarian with great beams visible etc, it was delicate & light and spectacular at night.

Its one of the most beautiful modern structures I've ever seen.

It's interesting how not a million miles away it is from a lot of our Victorian roofs at stations, elegantly perched atop columns which flow into each other via curved brackets.

(Admittedly I was half unconcious towards the end as well)
GrahamH
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland