Lansdowne Road Stadium

What's your opinion of the design?

I like it - a major change from the current one, and sufficently different from Croke Park
82%
Not keen, I don't really like it
12%
No opinion, the devil is in the detail as they say
5%

Total votes : 824

Re: New Lansdowne Road Stadium proposal unveiled

Postby PVC King » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:26 pm

It will certainly be used and will make an operating profit; my own feeling is that they missed an excellent opportunity to turn the stadium 90 degrees onto the back pitches and sink it down by 30-50 metres into the ground as was done on a grand scale at the San Siro in Milan.

I wonder will Landsdowne be the one bypassed in the future for the major games if the GAA drop their ban on selected foreign codes?
PVC King

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:07 pm

Thomond Park wrote:sink it down by 30-50 metres into the ground as was done on a grand scale at the San Siro in Milan.

Turning it into a double-size olympic swimming pool by default? :)
Very high water table in the area- possibly prohibitively costly.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby dodger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:09 pm

i'm sure it'll be used alright - but most of the time its being used Croke park will lie empty. nobody has managed to convince me that this is not a massive waste of taxpayers and sporting organisations money!

I got Scotland's population wrong - i always thought it was 15 million! Anyway not only do we have Croke Park but also Pairc Ui Coaimhe, Semple Stadium, Thomond, Gaalic stadium etc etc - these are good big grounds too, the match of all but the very best in Scotland. Would there be any point in cardiff building two millennium domes?
dodger

Postby PVC King » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:13 pm

ctesiphon wrote:Very high water table in the area- possibly prohibitively costly.

The general area has flooded twice in the last 20 years once in 1985 and the last time in 2002; on both occaisions Landsdowne Road was unaffected; although conversely it might get some action for the residents in the area who have had temporary private swimming pools. ;)
PVC King

Postby GregF » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:16 pm

Wales is a different case to Ireland. There would be no point in building 2 Millennium Stadia in Cardiff, especially with the new Wembley Stadium due for completion next year. The Cardiff Stadium will be used less and it is in debt too. Wales has only a small population and 2 major field sports, not 4 like us. The English tax payer would not fork out this money.
GregF
Old Master

Postby dodger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:21 pm

if Croker can handle all the games while Lansdowne is being rebuilt then it clearly is deeemd capable of handling all whether or not Lansdowne is rebuilt. Surely this is self evident. The reason we are talking about building a second stadium is not because Croke park can't host all the games required.
dodger

Postby GregF » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:54 pm

It's a case of Croker having to handle the games while Lansdowne is being redeveloped, else they'll be played abroad. The GAA are kindly giving the FAI and the IRFU a dig out in other words, else the games and revenue goes to Britain, which would be ludicrous. Also the locals in the Croke Park area would object to so many games and events. There is somewhat a cap on the amount of games and concerts that can be played there!
GregF
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:02 pm

dodger wrote:if Croker can handle all the games while Lansdowne is being rebuilt then it clearly is deeemd capable of handling all whether or not Lansdowne is rebuilt. Surely this is self evident. The reason we are talking about building a second stadium is not because Croke park can't host all the games required.

Look get over the fact that "shock horror" Dublin can handle two national stadia. There is enough business to keep them both going at the moment, what's going to change when the new Lansdowne is built.

I hate this 1980s attitude of this country some times, oh dont build the IFSC it'll be a white elephant, don't build the luas it'll be a white elephant, don't build the Spire it doesn't do anything - dig yourself out of your provincial arses and look to the future folks ...
Rory W
Old Master

Postby GregF » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:16 pm

[quote=" dig yourself out of your provincial arses and look to the future folks ...[/QUOTE"]

Well said Rory!
GregF
Old Master

Postby dodger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:25 pm

If we can keep to intelligent conversation for a second i can think of 100 better things this country could spend 300 million on than a non needed second stadium in Dublin. Health, Transport, Schools.

Personally i supported Luas, i supported Croke Park, i still defend the spire but i am entitled to the view that the redevelopment of Lansdowne road is a waste of tax payers money - not because it will be a white elephant but because is it not needed and nothing you have said that convinced me in the slightest that it is.

I finally can't agree that using phrases like 'taking head out of provincial arses 'is well said - actually its fairly base.
dodger

Postby GregF » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:47 pm

Ah, I bet ye'll be saying ''I supported Lansdowne Road'' when it's built .......will ye go on outta that Dodger.
Sure our Government is rolling in millions of euro, bout time they wasted some of it on sport as well as unused electronic voting boxes, etc.....
If ye thought that the population of Scotland was 15 million people, I think ye should get back to the school books and do a bit more researching and learning. Ye'll see reason then.
GregF
Old Master

Postby dodger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:51 pm

Sure our Government is rolling in millions of euro, bout time they wasted some of it on sport as well as unused electronic voting boxes, etc.....

so we're in agreement then.
dodger

Postby murphaph » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:06 pm

The north stand will indeed leak atmosphere. It could have been a cauldron for foreign teams to come to, but not now. It'll be far less intimidating to foreign teams with a missing end, and it is essentially missing. The interior renderings looking north clearly show this. Why can't we just have one thing done properly in this country. Surely the houses on Havelock Square could have been CPO'ed.

I like the 'podium' area that will be built over the exiting DART line, but I wonder how access will be facilitated to this 'mezzanine' from say, Landsdowne road-it'll be at quite a height from street level if the road is to be lowered under the railway where the LC is now.

All I can say about having 2 stadia in Dublin is that I'm glad it's not going to be turned into apartments like Glenmalure Park-Rovers never recovered from that.
murphaph

Postby PVC King » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:30 pm

I agree about the loss of the cauldron atmosphere it would appear that the capacity at the North end will actually be lower than at present. Unfortunately the Houses at Havelock Square are PROTECTED STRUCTURES so a CPO being cleared would be unlikely. :rolleyes:

Re Rovers: My analysis is worse not only have they never recovered they appear to be sliding still further into the abyss. :o

That site in Tallaght gets smaller with each 'rescue package' :mad:
PVC King

Postby SeamusOG » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:17 pm

Bare-faced bribery could be the answer to the problem of the low North stand (and the chances of the stadium being built)

Two 50 year tickets to every house in Havelock Square. These tickets to be for seats chosen by the residents and available for every event (matches and concerts). Sellable. Bequeathable.

That might amount to about 100-200 seats for every event. But worth a lot to the residents. Of course there was a time when such an offer might have been worth more than the houses themselves. Not now, of course, but still a tempting offer.
SeamusOG

Postby PVC King » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:42 pm

Unfortunately it is their Southern light and would take 200-350k off the value of each house
PVC King

Postby GregF » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:55 pm

I'd say that the Havelock Square part of the ground in question is deliberately slightly reduced in the image so as to take the harm out of it and not frighten the residents. I'd say when it's built it won't be so low as in the image. Besides this end of the ground will always be available for further enlargement should the residents die/move off in years to come. There will always be the potential to enlarge the capacity of the ground. They can't say that now either else the residents will be really up in arms.
GregF
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:35 pm

I must say im slightly dissapointed aswell with the scaling down of the northern end of the stadium, it'll definately give it a disproportionate look, a small "bus shelter" surrounded by 3 large stands stands, its interesting to note that the original design envisaged 2 three tiered stands on the east and west sides of the ground and 2 single tiered stands behind either goal, however these stands would have been larger than what is currently proposed for the north stand, this design is almost identical to the dragao stadium in oporto and the city of manchester stadium, the oldest example o this type of stadium is the ullevi in goteborg in sweden, i think they basically pioneered it

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/sweden/vastra_gotaland/goteborg_nye_ullevi.shtml

The Dragao
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/portugal/porto/porto_dragao.shtml

City of Manchester stadium
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/united_kingdom/england/north_west/manchester_city_stadium.shtml

Landsdowne is just a variation on these designs. Its actually a real pity that we dont have any properly enclosed stadium in this country, its a real pity that hill 16 couldnt have been finished to the same standard as the cusack, hogan and the canal end, it gives the stadium an unfinished look. Whatever about the houses at the havelock sq end of landsdowne, the houses behind hill 16 have no architectural merit whatsoever, am i right in saying they would basically be 1950s council houses?, i know the railway is a big constraint but if this was the new wembley stadium or the nou camp it would definately be re-aligned, we're only talking about a short section of it anyway, it could even be put underground, it would actually improve the area as a whole, not that this would ever happen in Ireland!

Perhaps when all is said and done the capacity might be a bit inadequate especially for rugby games, maybe 60,000 plus might have been better but then again the cost might have been prohibitive and also the site is probably too restricted, In all fairness its an attractive design and at last we'll have a modern national stadium to be proud of!
Tuborg

Postby tommyt » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:37 pm

The North Terrace is where the more hardcore support have always congregated and at present is where Eircom League clubs(i.e.REAL Irish football afficionados) recieve their paltry allocation from the FAI.A cauldron or intimidating atmosphere is a thing of the past in the present premiership/bastool football climate. If the FAI had any cop that would be the area reserved for the real partisan fans with ultra type Italian displays.Then you might see a proper atmosphere in that stadium.Hope it does get built, any argument for football being played in Croke park is pointless.It's totally unsuitable to holding large international fixtures.The pitch is too big and Hill16 would be deserted due to UEFA /FIFA regsI think it would be even more devoid of atmosphere than the present Landsdowne
tommyt

Postby Lorcan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:24 pm

Landsdowne is practically falling tp peices. Compring Landsdowne to other, for example, 6 Nations Stadiums, it's the worst of the lot, and a bit of an embarrassment, especially when we have Croke Park lying idle. Bring it on is what i say!
Lorcan

Postby GregF » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:26 am

[Quote:its a real pity that hill 16 couldnt have been finished to the same standard as the cusack, hogan and the canal end, it gives the stadium an unfinished look.]

I'm disappointed with the new Hill 16 too....it just looks ill fitting. I think the architects made a bit of a dog's bollocks of it really. I was at a few of the Dubs matches this year and sitting high up in both the Cusack and Hogan stands I could take a good look at it. Considering the constraints with the railwayline etc...but firstly, there is a gaping hole either side of the terrace where it does'nt connect with the Hogan and Cusack stands. I think these should have been filled in. Secondly, the terrace appears lob-sided with the electronic screen, the bunker and the flag ploes placed where the old Nally Stand was. (Whats the bunker for in any way?) I think a bit of symmetry should have been applied and the screen, etc placed way up in line behind the goal. This might have given a better flow to the terrace. Thirdly, the little piece of terrace stuck in the corner beside the bunker and electronic screen just looks rediculous. I think the disjointed Hill 16 takes from the rest of the stadium. For 20 odd million euro it could have been visually better.
GregF
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:12 pm

I can't believe it cost 20m that sounds like a price from Abbotstown and not HQ
PVC King

Postby jimg » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:15 pm

Landsdowne is practically falling tp peices. Compring Landsdowne to other, for example, 6 Nations Stadiums, it's the worst of the lot, and a bit of an embarrassment, especially when we have Croke Park lying idle. Bring it on is what i say!

Unlike yourself and it seems most of the Irish public, politicians, commentators, etc. I have no real problem with the current state of Lansdowne. Sure, it's not modern or cool, and if you're the type who'd be too embarrassed to be seen driving a 12 year old cheap Ford, for example, then I suppose it might discomfort you worrying what the neighbours think. The entire east stand and terracing are absolutely fine - great views from everywhere in the east stand and great cauldren like atmosphere on the east terrace. There are a (very small) number of blind spots in the west stand but 99.9% of the seats have great views. The north and south terraces are o.k. too as far as terracing goes.

Like I said before, I'd rather be able to get a ticket for the big rugby internationals and watch the game in an old-fashioned stadium, than watch the game on telly knowing that the well-connected (via the blazer or corporate channels) are able to watch the match in more comfort. So for me (a person who has been attending matches in Lansdown since I was a child), the only real problem with it is capacity. Besides safety, everything else is secondary and I've been to some of the superb modern stadia like the Millenium in Cardiff.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the proposed design but the reality is that without an increase in capacity, for me, this is essentially a very expensive vanity project.
jimg

Postby GregF » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:43 pm

Thomond Park wrote:I can't believe it cost 20m that sounds like a price from Abbotstown and not HQ

Read it here yerself....http://www.gaa.ie/page/croke_park.html (under the heading Hill 16)

jimg...I was at the Celtic Cup final earlier this year at Lansdowne Road and I understand the sentimantality about the place but in reality I just thought the place was a right kip....It was an embarrasment too, my foreign mates could'nt get over it either. They scoffed at the place. The family silver in this instance really lets us down. My firm had it's Xmas party in the clubhous 2 years ago and my jasus, what a total dive. Cream smoke stained ceilings, manky smelly carpets. The decking outside was rotting where it never got a coat of preservative. Surely standards in the country have come on. We are no longer materially poor or poor of mind.
GregF
Old Master

Postby GregF » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:48 pm

I would'nt say either that the new proposal will be limited to just 50,000 full stop. I'd say there will be the opportunity to increase the capacity somewhat. It's still at the planning stage and they don't want to frighten the residenets by saying that it will hold 70,000 or whatever. Each step at a time.
GregF
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland