Dublin!

Dublin!

Postby AncientCity » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:57 am

Hi! I'm new here!

I'm curious about your city, how it can improve from it's present condition, how it can become more dense. I've read that they are trying to do just that. How are thay doing so far? And how is the Architecture, the quality, the beauty? What are they doing about housing and the tower blocks in the city? I have more questions but not right now, I'm just very interested, thanks.
AncientCity

Re: Dublin!

Postby Rory W » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:00 am

Originally posted by AncientCity
Hi! I'm new here!

I'm curious about your city, how it can improve from it's present condition

Drop Bomb in centre - start again

Oh the cynicism
Rory W
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:30 pm

At the moment, a lot of effort is going into fixing the terrible mistakes made in the 1960s & 70s, such as refacing inappropriate office buildings and developing vacant sites & neglected areas. Public & private transport is the major issue and looks set to be that for another 2 decades as plans are delayed, put back, over-running on cost and some just scrapped.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Ronan C » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:49 pm

You should have a look at a newly published book called "The New Housing" . It focuses on new Irish higher density housing schemes in rural, suburban & urban areas throughout Ireland but mainly in Dublin. It's an excellent book with lots of good photographs of these schemes along with the statistical breakdown of how many units there are per acre etc, etc.

The only place I know you can buy it in is the RIAI on Merrion Sq.
Ronan C

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:18 pm

Its in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: Dublin!

Postby claire Couprie » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:49 pm

try Franck MacDonald books as well.

"The Construction of Dublin" or "Saving The City"
claire Couprie

Postby GregF » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:27 pm

......and not forgetting the 'Destruction of Dublin' by Frank McDonald too
GregF
Old Master

Making the city dense?!!!!

Postby J. Seerski » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:54 pm

Yes, there are many new "dense" things in the city.

But if you want to see the planning mistakes and weird and wonderful in sharp contrast, get the DART to Killbarrack and get a 17A bus from there to Finglas. From the upper deck, you will see the horrid planning mistakes of the past as you pass through Coolock and Ballymun, while you see contrasting ghettoisation in its crudest form when the bus turns for leafy Glasnevin and the wonderful ribbon middle class semi-detached sixties glories, before ending up in no-mans land in Finglas. But along the way you will see new and improved social housing, the long-awaited destruction of Babylon (Ballymun), and the start to our glorious Port Tunnel. And Finglas is changing for the better.

A nice day trip, eh?!!!
J. Seerski

Postby Luke Gardnier » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:29 pm

.... then take a trip to Tallaght and view the bedlam of banal boring development around the Square...and view what they consider a focal point for that so wronged (by planners and architects) community a 20 ft Totum Pole !! in the old village....and what passes for New Street a wind swept narrow enclosed in your face canyon of of banality and traffic bollards.....and all this is an example of modren Irish architecture and planning...the 70s lives on out west.
Luke Gardnier

Postby GregF » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:47 am

This part of Dublin looks like LA.......low rise and sprawled out.
GregF
Old Master

Postby trace » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:38 pm

. . . without the sunshine, topography or wealth . . .
trace

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:42 pm

ah come on, its not that bad out here !!!
Peter Fitz

Postby AncientCity » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:22 pm

Thanks for the information!

OMG! Dublin has alot of problems left over from past mistakes, I hope that something can be done about it.
AncientCity

Postby roskav » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:17 am

How negative can we be?? Listen to yourselves... Ancient wanted to know about what we would be doing.. not what has gone behind! He actually used the word "beauty" ,, which maybe needs some translation to your dusty ears..
Get your noses out of the books, sit in Stephens Green and breath some real air.
roskav

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:08 am

Listen to today's paper - now we are bottom of the league in our e / digital planning infrastructure.. most thought we or rather our goverment had at least a handle on this..all the waffle about digital hubs MIT gateways etc.. not enough shouting and protesting goes on in this place compared to other places..we are getting a raw deal in every direction and swallow so much waffle.
Simon

Postby J. Seerski » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:36 pm

I never knew you could "listen" to todays paper?!!!!!!
J. Seerski

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm

sure why don't we all go and kill ourselves? god the negativity, try looking at the other side of the coin for once ! compare dublin today with dublin twenty years ago ... unrecognisable, this is a great city and i love living in it, warts and all ...
Peter Fitz

Postby GregF » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:32 am

True Pete, I agree with you, Dublin of years ago has'nt a patch on Dublin today. It, however, has changed immensely (thanks to the boom) and greatly for the better, ie.... it's more cosmopolitan, foreign nationals abound, nearly everyone is working, there are things to do and things to see as unlike before, there is less dereliction, the new architecture is interesting (ahem!........that's debatable in some cases).
There is a buzz of optimism and hope, chic and style...... (Pretentious it may seem to some, but Dublin needs such an air of middle class 'Bourgeoisie'. It sounds, bad I know, but Irish society has become more middle class within the last 20 years except it is a status that is unrecognised by most of those who have become middle class today. Please don't be pedantic with my wording folks).
So let's not get complacent and lazy then, let's raise those standards even more and Dublin can set the precedent (as it is the capital city of Ireland) for the rest of urban life in Ireland.
It is the quality of our own lives, life in general and our environment around us that matters at the end of the day. So let's really get those qualities and standards right and high for us all today and the generations to come.
Heres to Dublin City and Irish Life....Cheers!
GregF
Old Master

Postby Aierlan » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:54 am

Originally posted by GregF
True Pete, I agree with you, Dublin of years ago hasn't a patch on Dublin today... more cosomopolitan... There is a buzz of optimism and hope, chic and style...... Dublin needs such an air of middle class 'Bourgeoisie'.....

I agree with all of this.

I know you are referring to Dublin of the 1950s - 1980s when you say 'years ago'. But, in my imagination at least, I feel Dublin of the 19th century had that cosmopolitan air, optimism, style, etc.

I think of the International Exhibition of 1865, the building of the National Museum, the Jewish Quarter, swanky restaurants on Grafton Street, the great family-owned businesses, connections with far-flung outposts of the Empire and so on.

I would love to know what it was like to be in Dublin back then.
Aierlan

Postby Rory W » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:32 pm

Aierlan - surely Dublin of the 18th century before the Act of Union, when it was the second city of the Empire, would be preferable - the 19th century did very little for Dublin outside of your examples (during the 19th century the excellent Gardiner began to fall into decline)
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Aierlan » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:10 pm

You are probably right that Dublin was at its relative peak in the 18th C. But the Victorian era brought so much innovation - the telegraph, electricity, railways, scientific advance, SS Great Britain, Suez Canal, and so on. Singapore, Hong Kong, India, etc. were added to the Empire.

Ireland had a ringside seat for all of this.

Stirring times. I think I would have found the 18th century a little tame, by comparison.
Aierlan

Postby CiaranO » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:37 pm

Originally posted by Aierlan
SS Great Britain, Suez Canal, and so on. Singapore, Hong Kong, India, etc. were added to the Empire.

Ireland had a ringside seat for all of this.

Oh well thats great isn't it!

While most on here bemoan the imagined 'it'll do' culture of the state, others long and yearn for pre-independence Ireland when we were part of the honourable, caring Empire.

Now here's Aierlan, wishing not only to be part of the great Empire but happy in the knowledge that we were only a ringside seat! surely an 'it'll do' culture would be better than a subculture of passive acceptance of inferiority.

Oh how lucky we were to be taken under the wings of such a great nation. WOuld that it were th same again!

"Singapore, Hong Kong, India, etc. were added to the Empire." your point?

is there a west brit monopoly on the irish architectural scene?
C.
CiaranO

Postby StephenC » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:09 am

God why do we always decend into these ridiculous anti Brit arguements..... its so BORING!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Simon » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:16 am

...thank God for some modern British influence on this city (Dublin) like Benson & Forsyth and their striking architectural contribution to Ireland's National Gallery....and which would never have built but for EU money.
Simon

Postby Rory W » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:36 am

It's a simple fact that once the act of union took place Dublin was about as important to the Empire as Bradford, just another provincial town. The town stagnated and declined. Nothing Anti-British in that, it's just a fact.

I, like many Irish people, shop at Tescos and Marks & Spencer, watch BBC, read The Sunday Times, and support an English Premiership team to be anti-British would just be hypocritical. We are always going to be influenced by our nearest neighbour.
Rory W
Old Master

Next

Return to Ireland