Real Landmark for Dublin

Postby alphasun » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:41 am

Interesting-- I stand corrected on the date. Since then the ESB has created the impressive Turlough Hill project, but unfortunately its spectacular aspects are largely invisible.
alphasun
alphasun

Postby AndrewP » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:45 am

I don't know how many of you actually rely on public transport, but talk of mag-lev trains and automatic buses for Dublin is like saying we should be shipping caviar and quail's eggs to the starving in Ethiopia.
We have the worst public transport in the developed world.
I would be delighted if anyone could say I'm wrong on this as it may make my dismal, rainswept daily wait for my late, packed, smoke-filled bus a bit more fun if I can imagine some Pole or Dutchman is having it a bit worse.
I don't want a magic flying train to get me to work, I just want my feckin bus to come on feckin time, preferably at regular, short intervals, with seats, and no-one sneaking a fag down the back with the windows all shut, no ridiculous detours, a driver with a grasp of basic manners, and maybe the ability to operate the side door switch.
The only way public transport in this country can work is by shutting down CIE and starting from scratch. We don't need sci-fi solutions, we need a new crowd of people to figure out how to make what we have work, and then let's see what to do next.
AndrewP

Postby Rory W » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:51 am

CIE isn't the main problem its union intransegence who go on strike at the drop of a hat, wont operate the centre doors (as part of an ongoing dispute) and as for smokers upstairs that's a problem due to the anti-social element that seem sto be taking hold in Ireland at the moment who intimidate everyone else and get their own way.

Yes there are problems with CIE, but they are not the main cause
Rory W
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:57 pm

Here here AndrewP!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby notjim » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:00 pm

we don't have the worst public transport in the developed world, its not great, but not the worst. you are falling pray of the myth of irish exceptionalism, the belief that if we aren't the best then we must be the worst.
notjim

Postby brunel » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:27 pm

mmmm yes we're not the 'worst' but for a capital city in europe it is a tad embarrassing when you have to tell visitors that there is no rail link to the airport, that you have no idea how long it will take them to get to the airport depending on traffic, that there is no metro/tram system, that everything involves car/bus gridlock etc etc

but no point complaining... LUAS is a start... and when one sees the cost of Ardnacrusha back then, one really has to think that it is worth borrowing now and build the damn metro NOW... the city will benifit from it for over 100 years so its worth going out on a limb and increasing the national debt...

maybe we need a brave figure to put their neck on the line and say 'bollix to all the bregrudgers, we are going to build the thing now... tomorrows generation will benifit from it so they can help pay for it too...'
brunel

Postby AndrewP » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:10 pm

I wasn't ranting for the sake of it, I genuinely haven't been to a major city with worse public transport.
I really would like to know.
Where is it?
AndrewP

Postby alphasun » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:43 pm

[i] I just want my feckin bus to come on feckin time, preferably at regular, short intervals, with seats, and no-one sneaking a fag down the back with the windows all shut, no ridiculous detours, a driver with a grasp of basic manners, and maybe the ability to operate the side door switch.
The only way public transport in this country can work is by shutting down CIE and starting from scratch. We don't need sci-fi solutions, we need a new crowd of people to figure out how to make what we have work, and then let's see what to do next. [/B]

Face it, these proposals are just as much science fiction as mine.
Following your last suggestion, I have often wondered if we could not invite the Swiss, Swedes and danes to come in and run us for a few decades....
alphasun
alphasun

Postby deepnote » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:04 pm

there is just this one small problem with the Swiss, Swedes, and Danes - they have no sense of humor...might be why everything in their countries works since they don't know how to make fun of it
deepnote

Postby kefu » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:32 pm

Does that mean they can't come up with hilarious names like the Chime in the Slime or the Floozie in the Jacuzzi?
God forbid we should lose our marvellous sense of humour in favour of something useful?
kefu

Postby Rory W » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:20 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't find the "Stilletto in the Ghetto" for the spire remotely funny?
Rory W
Old Master

Postby fjp » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:49 pm

it's funny....but sort of takes away the dignity.
dignity would be nice???
fjp

Postby brunel » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:24 pm

there is just this one small problem with the Swiss, Swedes, and Danes - they have no sense of humor...might be why everything in their countries works since they don't know how to make fun of it

I kindof resent this fact... ok yes most Swedes don't have much of a sense of humour... but just cause we do is no excuse... "argh ya our infrastructure is crap but we get locked yyeehh and we've got guinness yyeehh and we have the craic yyeehh"

The people in charge, ie architects, engineers, planners etc etc are serious people and take their jobs seriously... just because we have a sense of humour as a race of people gives us no excuse for having a shit transport system...

Granted we were a poor country for a long time, a fact that is probably forgotten about now, but still we have to get our act together...

Kinda like the 'stiffy near the liffey'... not much dignity but what the hell !!
brunel

Postby GregF » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:31 pm

Goes easy on the stereotypes folks. they may appear to us to have no sense of humour, ie language barrier and all that......but I'm sure when they are among their own ilk they are a bundle of laughs. It's the Brits who and have perpetrated such dogmas about Johnny Foreigner via the Sun newspaper etc.
GregF
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:44 pm

I agree - I know plenty of Danes and Swedes and they have a great sense of humour....just a little different from ours. More importantly they also know how to order their society properly! Their transport works! Their roads are not congested with boy racers! They dont live in very expensive, crap cardboard houses! And they dont foul their country with litter and waste!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby brunel » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:12 pm

Re the stereotypes: well have been living in Sweden for two years now... have lots of friends who have a great sense of humour, but even they admit that as a country it is pretty dry... anyway that's not the point... point being that we as a nation have to get our act together...
brunel

Postby PVC King » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:04 pm

Originally posted by StephenC
I agree - I know plenty of Danes and Swedes and they have a great sense of humour....just a little different from ours. More importantly they also know how to order their society properly! Their transport works! Their roads are not congested with boy racers! They dont live in very expensive, crap cardboard houses! And they dont foul their country with litter and waste!

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
PVC King

Postby zozimus » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:32 pm

Originally posted by GregF
Goes easy on the stereotypes folks. they may appear to us to have no sense of humour, ie language barrier and all that......but I'm sure when they are among their own ilk they are a bundle of laughs. It's the Brits who and have perpetrated such dogmas about Johnny Foreigner via the Sun newspaper etc.

I'm not getting at you, in fact I think I agree with you, but I love the irony - ask people to be nice to foreigners and not act like the dirty brits.

Very Oirish as Kelvin McKenzie might say...
zozimus

Postby GregF » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:22 pm

Sky Tower Auckland
Attachments
sky tower auckland.jpg
sky tower auckland.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
GregF
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland