Real Landmark for Dublin

Real Landmark for Dublin

Postby John Smith » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:37 pm

I,ve recenctly been on a round the world trip. I visited Auckland on the way and spent a few months there.

I was very impressed with there "Sky Tower", and was suprised when I learned that the structure was only erected in 1997.

It provides the city with an instantly recognisible landmark, something to identify Auckland and New Zealand worldwide.

I believe Dublin and Ireland need a structure of this stature, to provide us with the same kind of identity. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't as Auckland is also a city of circa 1 million and New Zealand has a population similar to Ireland's. The only difference is that our economy is in a much stronger position.
John Smith

Postby notjim » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:13 pm

well it hasn't worked because i have no idea what the auckland skytower looks like. the spike is good bet though and there are cranes back on the site now, its so exciting.
notjim

Postby GrahamH » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:21 pm

Is'nt it! I can't wait to see it up, it is now the tallest piece of sculpture in the world, if you consider it as being that.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby ew » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:43 pm

Is the big crane for the spike here now?

Regarding the skytower - I hadn't heard of it either. I found a photo here

http://www.aucklandnz.com/gallery/photos/towerabove.jpg

but I'm not impressed. I think there was a couple of entries in the oconnell competition that looked like that. I'm really glad the spike won.
ew

Postby AndrewP » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:47 pm

Does anyone know how far away the spire will be visible from? I don't remember seeing any from-a-distance pics.
AndrewP

Postby PaulC » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:58 pm

I believe that from nighttime at least, you will be able to see the light at the top of it from anywhere in Dublin city.
I hope they will be able to change the light colour also. In the same way the lighting at the top of the Empire State building in NY changes (e.g. Green for Patricks day, red for the Chinese new year etc etc.)
PaulC

Postby GrahamH » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:31 pm

In the EIS, it says it will not be visible from some areas within the city centre such as Merrion Square, (mainly due to the immediate height of buildings), but will be visible from the likes of Rathmines, although not that clearly as it's colour will be pretty much the same as that of an overcast sky. At night though, it's illuminated tip should be quite distintive. Originally it was planned to light it with something like 23 florescent tubes, but that has been shelved in favour of LEDs which last for approx 30 years. I agree, they should have the ability to change colour, as should the floodlights positioned on the 4 corner buildings that light the Spire itself.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby notjim » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:49 pm

so the auckland skytown is just a small cn tower and they put it up in 1997! what's so landmark about that?

re spike, no big crane yet, they have one of those heavy lifting cranes that they use to put cranes up, if you see what i mean.
notjim

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:42 am

i live in tallaght and can see liberty hall + georges quay quite easily from my house ... the lights on the canopy of liberty hall are not that bright but can still be seen at night all the way out here, so i guess given that the spike is to be over twice the height of liberty hall, its flood-light tip at least should be clearly visible (especially as it will be so far above any other light in the city) guess we'll just have to wait and see though :-)
Peter Fitz

Postby PaulC » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:05 am

Has anyone exact dates for when this will be errected?
PaulC

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:13 am

The crane is on site since last night
Will post a daily picture later
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GregF » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:45 am

This could be a great feat of Irish engineering.......never seen since the days when they built Ardnacrusha.
GregF
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:57 am

Ardnacrusha was german engineering was it not..... ;)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GregF » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:24 pm

Doh..........did we ever do anything of note then........Ok Newgrange but those people are a million miles away from us today.....the Vikings founded Dublin, the Normans built the fine Castles, the Brits built the cities.................probably the Spire is being constructed and erected by a Brit firm too. Ah I suppose we always have Sam Stephenson to our credit and and all the wonderful things he did .....at Woodquay, Fitzwilliam St, etc.....
GregF
Old Master

Postby brunel » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:44 pm

Well to be fair it was Thomas A. McLoughlin, an Irish engineer, who submitted proposals and convinced the government to dam the Shannon and build an electric power station at Ardnacrusha... the detailed design of which was carried out by Siemens-Schuckert
brunel

Postby Fiachra » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:30 pm

With regards to the spike having a British designer and contractor: Yes Ian Richie is British, but one of the contractors is most defently Irish. SIAC construction is a privatly family owned Irish construction group with it's HQ in Dublin. And don't be so pesimistic about Ireland's architectural achivements, there are some very exciting projects currently happening here. We are gaining quite a reputation abroad with what is beign known as "New Irish Rationalisim". We are far to hard on ourselfs in this country.
Fiachra

Postby Starch » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:45 pm

true
Starch

Postby John Smith » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:14 pm

I'm not a big fan of the spire, as I don't think it shows a great deal of imagination, and isn't functional. At least the Sky Tower is functional, with 2 viewing decks and a few restaurants (one of which rotates 360 degrees each hour).

When I suggested the Auckland sky tower, I only meant as an example. Obviously to copy such a building would defeat the purpose.

However I still feel we could do with a building of this magnitute in our capital.

P.S. : I think the Sky Tower will become well known in years to come. The fact that it is only 5 years old probably contributes to it's anonimity.
John Smith

Postby ew » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:25 pm

New Irish Rationalisim? I never heard that phrase before. Care to give a few examples or indeed attempt a definition? Anyone?
ew

Postby StephenC » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:26 pm

The Sky-tower idea is a bit overdone. They have them in Melbourne, Sydney, Toronto, Vancover, Seattle....etc It seems like a formulaic way of adding something distinctive to the city skyline.
Perhaps a way forward would be to revamp Liberty Hall - the top floor could incorporate the elements like restaurants and viewing platforms and new cladding and glazing could give the building a more dramatic look. Actually, I am amazed SIPTU have never considered it publically. Mind you they are not exactly the most farsighted of building owners...the foyer is enough to prove that.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby MB O'Maoileoin » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:44 pm

Does anyone know where I can find drawings/drafts of the entries that failed to make it unlike the Spire?
MB O'Maoileoin

Postby StephenC » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:45 pm

Arent they on this site somewhere in the archives...use the search engine.
And try the Corpo
StephenC
Old Master

Postby ew » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:17 pm

ew

Postby ro_G » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:15 pm

some folk in a UK skyscraper forum discussing our tallest buildings.

They call Liberty Hall "cute" as it is only 13 stories high :D
http://www.hoogbouw.nl/uksf/cgi-bin/printpage.cgi?forum=8&topic=3
ro_G

Postby DARA H » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:15 pm

Christ, that was a long bloody thread in that UK forum!! - i gave up reading when i realsied how long it went on - still, a lot of discussion about Dublin for a foreign architecture website - especially as one of the commentators said that it was UK only skyscrapper site?
DARA H

Next

Return to Ireland