Busaras Central Bus Station, Dublin

Busaras Central Bus Station, Dublin

Postby jbc » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:32 pm

I am a Civil Engineering University student currently studying the Busaras bus station in Dublin. We have been set a project which involves us putting forward proposals for the renovation of Busaras. I understand that the building is listed and therefore the aesthetic and structural modification could be restricted. I am however finding it very difficult to determine what grade listing Busaras is and what restrictions this would impose. If anybody could point me in the direction of where I can get this information then I would be most grateful.

Regards,
Jbc
jbc

Postby LOB » Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:07 pm

there are no longer grades of listing
they are all "protected Structures" & this definition includes its setting as well as any structural or aesthetic considerations.
The Restrictions are now in general more onerous than before.
LOB

Postby jbc » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:08 pm

From literature on the web I understand that this means that the buildings internal and external appearance is completely protected? Therefore all works (other than repairs that do not alter the appearance) would need planning approval, whereby other bodies such as the Minister of Arts and the Heritage Council would be consulted. Is this correct?

If so, what kind of aesthetic or structural alterations to Busaras are likely to be accepted? I presume nothing so radical as changes to the external facade would be allowed? Would changing window types to something more modern be permitted? Also what about things like structural alterations to install escalators, etc?

Any info would be gratefully received, as I am trying to get a competitive advantage over the other teams on the course, as long as they don't find this forum!!

Thanks,
jbc
jbc

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:26 pm

The windows of Busaras are the facade, they provide the rhythm and express the original modular plan of the interior. Originally the blinds in the windows of the office accommodation had different colours so that a diagonal pattern across the facade was visible when the blinds were closed.

The original glass colour is visible on the northern facade onto Store Street. The darker glass facing the Custom House is not original.

No way should you be allowed to change them unless you wish to change the glass back to the original (which would be very cool imho).

The interior has been badly abused over the years, with the removal of the original kiosks, shop fronts, restaurant, furniture and signage. The basement is probably the most intact interior with perhaps the top floor restaurant a close second.

No I know very little about Busaras, I only researched it for 2 years ;) Currently converting 90,000 word thesis with illustrations, interviews and bibliography for inclusion on archeire.com
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby jbc » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:43 pm

Thanks for the info. It's therefore pretty obvious that the building cannot be touched (except possibly returning it back to original).

We went on a tour of the bus station, where we saw the top floor restaurant with its red mosaic columns! and the marble finish at the top of the staircase but we didn't get to see the basement. I understand that it is used to store documents for the offices above, but the cinema has been water damaged and there is no electric.

Since the likelyhood of modernising the building is unlikely, does anybody have any more info/drawings/photos so that my team can get an idea of what it originally looked like, as this maybe the only viable option for renovating the structure. It would also be useful for our presentation.

Thanks,
jbc
jbc

Postby LOB » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:11 pm

Try the Architectural Archive on Merrion Square

http://www.iarc.ie/
LOB

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:13 pm

Scott Tallon Walker probably still have all the original drawings in their basement archives. They had back in 1995.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Ireland