Drury Street Carpark Dublin

Drury Street Carpark Dublin

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:01 pm

Some of you may be aware that theyve been replacing the horrible composite panelling and brick work on Drury Street Carpark.

One side is now available to see, covered in galvanised metal panels... looks so-so close up but I think looks well from a few yards back..... looking forward to seeing it completed.... Cullen Payne Architects

if only they would do something with the edge where it runs into the old Winstons store....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GregF » Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:13 am

Aye ...I agree......I remember reading about this car park getting a makeover years ago......maybe cause of limited funds ..but it has taken ages to happen. This car park really fits ugly up against the Winston stores...what a disasterous design...and how the Corpo could ever let it happpen is beyond me.....Let's hope they have come a long way since those massive mistakes.......and let's herald hopefully an era of correct understandable urban design in our Capital City of Dublin and which will set the standard for the rest of the country. Here's to 'Urban Living'
GregF
Old Master

Postby fjp » Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:09 pm

The cool thing about the join to Winstons is the segment of the old building that was left behind. I don't know what it originally looked like, but I'm reasonably impressed by the two foot wide segment that has somehow managed to hang on for dear life.

I'd hate to see them take it away now....

fjp

fjp

Postby roskav » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:01 pm

That car park is the easiest multi story to use in Dublin. Really simple design - good view from the top too. I like the cladding - looks like a computer generated image when you stand at Johnsons Place.
roskav

Postby MG » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:38 pm

That edge needs to be tidied up I believe. Work seems to have slowed down on the carpark building.
MG

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:04 pm

The stub of the old building is now gone and replaced by some very cheap and nasty looking red brick better suited for an estate in Naas.

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Ireland