Stack A

Re: Stack A

Postby notjim » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Furniture and household goods shop, its a real waste in my view; now fallon and byrne i'd be more happy with, their place is great.
notjim

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:13 pm

Thanks notjim.

Makes me think- perhaps Ikea should put one of their new town centre stores here, given their move away from the car-based edge-city types in the UK. Although maybe they have a deal with Dick Roche whereby they can't change their mind now that he's rewritten the rule book for them...
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby a boyle » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:45 pm

notjim wrote:how about some dinosuars, they are actually pretty cheap because they are mostly plaster anyway. the nhm has a substantial undisplayed collections - don't touch the nhm and have nmh II in the stack house.

i like that.

how curious that in the space of a lazy friday afternoon several viable ideas have been tossed up, by a set of people who have never met.

Considering the docklands people are specifically entrusted to develop the docklands , what a disapointing sham all around.

What is even more curious is that just today they have reported roughly 20 million euros of monies available to them .

This would go long way to

a public spa,
a second natural histroy museum,
a new headquarters for the chester beatty library,
a science museum,
(a transport museum ? )

furthermore we can be pretty certain that this wedding list shop were given a big discount to woo them to the site and will no doubt close at the least sign of trouble. It is a pitty but this will cement the complete void that is the ifsc.
a boyle

Postby notjim » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:26 pm

so following this one thing i thought abou myself is a cabinet of curiousities in the old fashioned sense, in short all the musuems and galleries etc get a little space and contribute a few items, a dinosaur, a stuffed lion, some old pictures, some new ones, the most recent venice bienniele, a small bat house, something scientific from the universities, an old tram, nelsons head, a tank of jelly fish, some irish books, some asian etc along with some learned narritive and a fine cafe and shop. it would be kind of cool and kind of unique.
notjim

Postby Lotts » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 am

Anyone know about the pointing on stack-A? It looks wrong to me, with the joints protruding from the brickwork. Is it meant to be like that?
Lotts

Postby Lotts » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:32 am

I think it's "tuck-pointing" but I don't know any more than that. I wonder was it built like that?
Lotts

Postby ctesiphon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:01 am

Lotts wrote:Anyone know about the pointing on stack-A? It looks wrong to me, with the joints protruding from the brickwork. Is it meant to be like that?

AFAIK, pointing should never protrude from brickwork as it provides a shelf on which moisture can settle and penetrate the wall. The whole point of pointing is to keep moisture off the wall. If it's on the internal sections of brick wall then this wouldn't be such a problem, but it still shouldn't be done, and given the money spent on the place to date it's a pity they couldn't get something as basic as this right.

Any pics?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:46 pm

notjim wrote:so following this one thing i thought abou myself is a cabinet of curiousities in the old fashioned sense, in short all the musuems and galleries etc get a little space and contribute a few items, a dinosaur, a stuffed lion, some old pictures, some new ones, the most recent venice bienniele, a small bat house, something scientific from the universities, an old tram, nelsons head, a tank of jelly fish, some irish books, some asian etc along with some learned narritive and a fine cafe and shop. it would be kind of cool and kind of unique.

a museum that kids of all ages would want to go to... a nice idea
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby phil » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:17 pm

It was meant to be a science museum at some stage wasn't it? (I think this was discussed here at some stage before). Anyway, I think it is a severly wasted opportunity as it is at present.
phil
Old Master

Postby Lotts » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:29 pm

The area described by ctesiphon as a
"warren of brick vaulted tunnels/chambers running the length of the site that are subdivided arbitrarily and that lack any daylight at all"
would be brilliant for hosting a cabinet of curiosities as mentioned in notjims post.
I'm very in favour if the idea. If located in the vaults it would not even impact on the commercial offerings above.

The extent of the vaults is visible in the plans in the
chq brochure

Although only a portion of the area is open and available at the moment it seems.

Anyway , back on pointing. I think I’ve answered my own question with a bit of research: It was bothering me because it really looks like someone went to a lot of trouble to get it looking the way it does. What I described earlier today as looking wrong :o is indeed tuck-pointing and is absolutely correct from a conservation point of view, as it seems the building was originally finished in this way. The
Conservation Plan
says
“The external peripheral walls are built of bonded brickwork with imported brown/yellow stock facings laid in Flemish bond. The original lime mortar pointing is badly weathered but vestiges of old mortar indicate that the brickwork was formerly tuck-pointed. “

It seems that in most cases tuck pointing was used to disguise poor quality, chipped and irregular bricks. This difficult, but essentially deceptive practice was described by J Seddon in the
Civil Engineer and Architects Journal in 1863 as "the lowest depth of the abomination into which modern practice has fallen."
I’d love to show him how much further it was possible to fall with some of the horror pictures posted by Devin and others elsewhere on this site!

I don’t think the bricks used in stack-a were too bad though, so I wonder was there an aesthetic reason in this case. …?

I don’t have any photos but there are pictures of similar here http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/deselem/extwall/point.htm

further history here: http://www.brickmaster.co.uk/tukcpointing.htm

So finally, it seems to me (after a little bit of educating myself), that the DDDA have done an excellent job on this aspect of the restoration too. :) Well done!
Lotts

Postby tomredwest » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:01 am

shop fit outs to commence in December on Stack A / CHQ with intention to open in April '07.
M&B and a Terence Conran restaurant are the only definites at this stage though.
tomredwest

Postby jdivision » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:53 pm

ctesiphon wrote:Thanks notjim.

Makes me think- perhaps Ikea should put one of their new town centre stores here, given their move away from the car-based edge-city types in the UK. Although maybe they have a deal with Dick Roche whereby they can't change their mind now that he's rewritten the rule book for them...

There is only one site in the country that currently qualifies for an Ikea, the one in Ballymun. They changed the legislation just for them so it'd be a bit of a slap in his face if they then applied for an intown store.
jdivision

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:06 pm

jdivision wrote:There is only one site in the country that currently qualifies for an Ikea, the one in Ballymun. They changed the legislation just for them so it'd be a bit of a slap in his face if they then applied for an intown store.

Only one site in the whole country? How fortunate! What a felicitous coincidence!! :rolleyes:

Have to say, I'd pay good money to see Dick Roche getting a slap in the face. Even a metaphorical one would do in the meantime... There's something about his tone of voice that raises my hackles every time- that smarmy, patronising, 'you obvoiusly don't understand the issue, little boy' quality that makes even M. Cullen sound sincere and caring. Sort of.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:58 pm

ctesiphon wrote:Only one site in the whole country? How fortunate! What a felicitous coincidence!!.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/01/09/story1455.asp

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/01/30/story1967.asp

These will be of interest. It's a pity they screwed Costco because I think that'd be a good addition to the Irish retail sector.
jdivision

Postby manifesta » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:38 pm

I think about these buildings all the time. Even though I'm bracing myself for the dull, unimaginative retail fixture this fantastic architectural piece will eventually deteriorate into, I have to say I'm really enjoying this stage right now of it existing purely as this sculptural part of the landscape. Forget about the plans and articles. Right now, it's nothing inside. It's pure potential.

Generally it's cause for impatience when a finished building takes so long to 'open' but in the case of Stack A, I have to say I'm enjoying this period of emptiness. One of the best things about Stack A going uninhabited for so long is that it's become this great canvas -- not quite blank, but still with so much to be filled in -- for daydreamers such as ourselves to wax imaginative on its many possibilities and uses. A spa? A science musuem? A modern art museum? None of the above?

In daylight, a few signs of partitions inside -- a blight on the blank canvas. How could anyone want to split this thing up into tiny boxes?

Another interesting feature of the redevelopment of these buildings is how the original shape/materials and new glazing combine to create a surface that changes dramatically in different light. A rare structure that looks just as intriguing no matter the natural light.

You know this is the kind of image that architects love -- oh, it will reflect the color of the sky and the buildings opposite (think back to the optimistic renderings of the glass-facade beast beside City Hall) -- how cool!

Forgetting that most days are like this:

And still -- lovely, desolate, full of possibility.
manifesta

Postby Pepsi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:26 pm

nice pictures.
Pepsi

Postby lostexpectation » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:31 pm

so its all antony cronin's fault then?
lostexpectation

Postby PVC King » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:31 am

Hays wrote:Dublin’s newest city centre retail development is due to launch in October this year and in line with this, a newly created opportunity exists for an experienced Property Manager who will have sole responsibility for the overall management of this exciting new shopping centre development.

The CHQ building is a retail and dining destination in the heart of the IFSC in the expanding Docklands area in Dublin’s city centre. The building constructed in 1821 was a banded warehouse and was recently refurbished and re-modelled by the Docklands Authority to provide a 21st century built environment with a difference.

Any takers?
PVC King

Postby igy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Any word on what's going in there?
I still want to see the basement level converted into a big, spacious, cosy bar, those arches look perfect for big comfy sofas and low lighting :)
igy

Postby notjim » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:31 pm

OPEN! I walked through it this evening, it is lovely inside, the iron work on the ceiling is gorgeous and the units are quite classy, very sharp. Only about a third let, say 10 units for Meadow and Byrne, two coffee shops and about six additional units let out of say 40. Quite a flow of people, they added a door in the river side facade so coming over the O'Casey bridge it is like the obvious way to go if you are heading for the ifsc.
notjim

Postby jdivision » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:49 pm

There are shops let to Meadows & Byrne, Starbucks, Nue Blue Eriu, Fran & Jane, Louis Copeland, Henry Jermyn, The Carphone warehouse, House of Tea, Kohl, Inis Meain knitting company, Kevin Sharkey and The Pink Room (whatever that is). Ely is there as well obviously and will be interesting to see if Conran is willing to open now. Official opening is today
jdivision

Postby igy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Aye, haven't looked inside yet but I noted they had people circling the perimiter on Segways with advertising banners attached ("Now open, CHQ"). Interesting marketing which i've yet to see elsewhere here.
igy

Postby Devin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 am

With all the talk here about Stack A, not one picture of it has been posted since it opened as a high-end retail mall over a year ago, so here's one.

The shop units are all floor-to-ceiling glazing within the cast iron structure. Westbury Mall it is not!
It's beautifully executed, a testament to the appropriateness of minimal glazing in an historic setting when done properly.

When you walk through it, it's hard to believe this building was lying here unseen for years on end. It's a great asset to the docklands and to the city. Sadly it's hard to see the retail mall lasting as there's only ever a trickle of people through it, not to mention de current climate. Finding a use for the building and finally getting it open seemed to be such an epic saga that it would be awful to see it shut up again.

Info on the restoration here - RIAI chq
Devin
Old Master

Postby notjim » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:38 am

I often walk through this and, while the footfall is low during most of the day, it does get quite crowded at lunchtime, the little noodle place is packed for example. The retail has been surprisingly stable, nothing has closed yet as far as I can see.
notjim

Postby Devin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Good. And I hope I'm wrong notjim! While Starbucks, Insomnia & the noodle place seem to be doing most of the business at the mo, footfall may go up when Luas is running? The location is so great, sandwiched between Sean O'Casey Bridge & Luas.
Devin
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland