Henrietta Street

Re: Henrietta Street

Postby notjim » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Now is your chance: #7 Henrietta St on sale for 1.85 MEur! Let's all chip in.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/7-henrietta-street-north-city-centre-dublin-co&-city/CAKTS349261
notjim

Postby reddy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:17 pm

The results of the competition for no.16 Henrietta St are due to go on public display in the next couple of weeks. In the City Council Offices I think. Should be interesting to see the various responses. They received around eighty entries. I presume a winner will be announced before the exhibition.
reddy

Postby newgrange » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Slightly OT, but would anyone have a picture of the original 16 Henrietta Street? Saw it being requested on another forum.
newgrange

Postby missarchi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 am

half of the entry's are already on display at DCC the carpark one is a classic...
be good if Hackett's print properly;)
missarchi
Old Master

Postby gunter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Had some business in the Planning office today and I got off a few snaps of the Henrietta Street Competition exhibition while I was there.

Even from a two minute inspection, it was clear that the entries could be broken down into a few distinct categories.

For convenience, I've listed them: Glass, Brick, Mesh and Concrete.

Here's one example of each:

Glass

Brick

mesh

Concrete.

That last one is off the wall completely. The exhibition seemed to be well worth a look. As usual though, there was no information about how long the exhibition was to be up for and no external banners or anything to entice the public in.

York Street and Henrietta Street are two threads of a very interesting potential debate that unfortunately isn't actually happening.
gunter
Old Master

Postby neatdesign » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 am

Hi all,

I took some snaps also, check them out.

http://www.neatdesign.ie then go to the news blog [bottom right].

We are trying to keep our news section up to date with the latest info so if something is going on you think we should know about just email us.

Cheers
neatdesign.
neatdesign

Postby gunter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:31 am

I take it nobody's putting their head above the parapet on this one!
gunter
Old Master

Postby Devin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:48 am

I heard the brick one won. Very Kahn-as-repopularised-by-a-certain-Dublin-office.
Devin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:07 pm

And extremely interesting. However please do not say it is also intended to incorporate a 'rebuilt' parapet as pictured above? And when was this decision made? Who made it? Has the decision been released?

I always thought this was going to be a case of a toss-up between a conservative-with-a-twist brick scheme and a thoroughly abstract but uber-refined and respectful 'incident'. As such both the mesh and glow-in-the-dark ones both have immense appeal, but suffice to say the stark and stoical, respectful yet individual, grim and foreboding brick number does it for me, What swings it is that it has a tenement quality reflective of the street's history and current character, and that if built, will be sustained long after the thoroughfare (if ever) becomes a smug tuckpointed enclave of charcoal and lavender doorcases.

There are reservations however that the focal Kahn elevation is an overdressed elevation for a minor side street, and is being used for the sake of it being an architectural competition and elevating the scheme beyond that of plain reproduction. Still, very beautiful, and the vaguely gothic/gothick character singing the tune of the 1740s.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Are the window opes to Henrietta actually to be blanked ? would simple clear glazing cause such offence ? I really think the elevation to Henrietta Place has too much going on.

I'm leaning more towards the mesh, though don't like the change of line as it meets the ground on the side elevation.
Peter Fitz

Postby gunter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:38 pm

GrahamH wrote: . . . the stark and stoical, respectful yet individual, grim and foreboding brick number does it for me, . . . it has a tenement quality . . . that if built, will be sustained long after the thoroughfare (if ever) becomes a smug tuckpointed enclave of charcoal and lavender doorcases.

You are a seriously dark individual!
gunter
Old Master

Postby hutton » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:44 pm

The brick one works for me. Agree with gunter that the concrete one is "off the wall completely" - what an abomination - who were the culprits responsible for that croc gunter?

I like the detailing on the side wall of the brick proposal - normally such an elaborate treatment for a side lane would be OTT, yet in this instance given Henrietta Streets significance I think it's quite appropriate.

One thing that baffles me though is, what's this about a concrete Jersey barrier separating the lightwell from the pavement? :confused: ...Is that being chipped in free-of-charge from the NRA who haven't used it on a motorway? Railings please, and contextually appropriate detailing...
hutton

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Before I knew which one was the winner, the brick one got my vote. I do think the 'side' is over-detailed, but I like the blind 'front'. Also, as noted by the Assessors, the use of this building was thought about, unlike many of the others which proposed 'museum' or 'gallery' etc. (I'd read their comments, but didn't know to which building they referred.)

This competition also highlights yet again how inappropriate and insensitive the corner building on Bolton Street is.

gunter- neatdesign's blog seems to suggest that the exhibition is only on until Friday. I presume that means until close of business on Friday, unlike a certain other architectural exhibition discussed on here recently.

Graham- what do you mean about the parapet rebuilding? Not sure I follow you. Ta.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:07 pm

Also, in case you haven't seen this:

Ryan W. Kennihan Architects wins Henrietta Street Ideas Competition

Archiseek.com

The commission of an Open Ideas Architectural Design Competition to
address the site of No. 16 Henrietta Street was enshrined as a policy
in the Henrietta Street Conservation Plan, (2006). The competition was
organised by the Royal Institutes of Architects of Ireland (RIAI). The
competition aimed to establish a design framework for the development
of the site, which is informed by the Conservation Plan and best
architectural practice, and to generate debate and discussion on the
challenge of contemporary design as in-fill in sensitive historic
settings. Design approaches were open to each entrant and could
include designs sympathetic to the context and setting without being
archaeologically correct or historically precise, and which is not
pastiche; and infill design that contrasts strongly with the
architectural language, setting and context of Henrietta Street.

http://ireland.archiseek.com/news/2008/000236.html
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Ah thanks for that link. All questions answered.

From the image it would appear it is intended to built the parapet in a different brick, matching that of the rebuilt 19th century parapet of the adjoining house. Surely the correct thing to do is to rebuilt both parapets in appropriate brick.

Agreed with hutton - the bunker ground floor is not pretty.

gunter wrote:You are a seriously dark individual!

You're not the first to say that, alas.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:05 pm

GrahamH wrote:From the image it would appear it is intended to built the parapet in a different brick, matching that of the rebuilt 19th century parapet of the adjoining house. Surely the correct thing to do is to rebuilt both parapets in appropriate brick.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks, and agreed- what a silly idea. It's not as if this is in the category of 'sham ruin'.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:57 am

I'd opt for the mesh myself...its hot a very curious quality atht i think would contrast well with the exsting buildings. The glass is boring.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby gunter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:41 am

There are a couple of interesting things said about the winning scheme in the competition citation. One thing that strikes me is the praise rightly given to the simple devise of the recessed or 'negative corner' that articulates the reconstructed front facade from the new creation that is the side elevation onto Henrietta Place.

If this is the moment that contemporary architecture redescovers the power of subtlety, this will have been a good day's work.

'Reconstruction' ! that was another forbidden word.

There could be a lot to take from this. Even that side elevation with it's, initially strange, Hanseatic brick arcading is starting to make sense to me. These early Georgian houses were all about their heavy brick solidity, they were the sober anti-dote to the fantastic, precarious, Dutch Billys that predominated in the Dublin urban scene in the 1720s. This winning design takes the sober brick solidity and has a bit of dark fun with it.

Ryan W. Kennihan might have a strange bastardized spelling to his name, but hats off to him, the boy's done well.
gunter
Old Master

Postby fergalr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 pm

gunter wrote:
Concrete.

It looks a little like Megatron is trying to couple with the adjoining building... :confused:
fergalr

Postby GP » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Concrete - set of diving platforms?

How come this street fails in its potential? It is known widely around the world from the many period films it is used in. What would it cost in real money to fix? Why does it never seem to grab the attention of the legal profession for use as cahmbers or the like, surely this is a sympathetic solution?

A street of 18th century palazzios in a moribund part of the city - it seems unreal. I suspect that we will have to wait until the next boom.

The last comment I would make is about the briock option, is lokks good but just brings Breugels Tower of Babel to mind.

http://agnosticatheism.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/babel1.jpg
GP

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Further images
Attachments
000236.jpg
000236.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
000236a.jpg
000236a.jpg (99.48 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
000236b.jpg
000236b.jpg (82.06 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 pm

The right kind of brick is going to be absolutely crucial for this.

Is it planned to be built with traditional techniques, I wonder, or will it be modern? Those look suspiciously like brick jack arches in the third image.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby gunter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:44 pm

It's not a crematorium, is it?
gunter
Old Master

Postby neatdesign » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:52 pm

gunter wrote:It's not a crematorium, is it?

Nope Gunter, it's a drug cutting lab, hence the bricked up windows.

neatd.
neatdesign

Postby PVC King » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:15 pm

Close enough to Dominick St the first mega drug mart in the late 1970's to create cluster of knowledge!!

Seriously this is conceptually outstanding; the finish of the brick is just sublime. I really hope this gets built
PVC King

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland