belfast skyline

Re: belfast skyline

Postby Global Citizen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 am

Some views from the dome in Victoria Square............
Attachments
Belfast 07 June 2010 024.jpg
Belfast 07 June 2010 024.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
Belfast 07 June 2010 008.jpg
Belfast 07 June 2010 008.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Belfast 07 June 2010 004.jpg
Belfast 07 June 2010 004.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Belfast 07 June 2010 001.jpg
Belfast 07 June 2010 001.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Belfast 07 June 2010 003.jpg
Belfast 07 June 2010 003.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
Global Citizen

Postby rob mc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Is that the Obel in the last picture?? Looks pretty ugly from that angle!
rob mc

Postby Global Citizen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:17 am

rob mc wrote:Is that the Obel in the last picture?? Looks pretty ugly from that angle!

Yes, thats the Obel in the last two pictures above and i agree that it looks less than flattering from here. It appears to turn its back on the city centre. Here is another view of it taken from the Short Strand area across the river. Showing its better side imo.
Attachments
Belfast 07 June 2010 050.jpg
Belfast 07 June 2010 050.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Global Citizen

Postby PVC King » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:36 am

It will look better from the front; this is a very good example of why it is important for planners to request montages from a variety of angles placing any proposed building into context. That said I'd not criticise it for being anything other than a little plain from the back; it is not like the fenestrations or building materials are ugly; maybe it was part of a plan to mass a few surrounding blocks to create a design of blocks; taking Canary Wharf as an example it looks good as a mass of buildings but a lot of the individual blocks are very simple shapes that individually would not work as well as in concert.
PVC King

Postby Desmund » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 pm

I was in Belfast two weeks ago. Eventhough its core centre is considerably smaller then that of Dublin's, the westmoreland st/ o connell bridge axis aside, it had I felt much more of a big city feel to it than its southern counterpart. Dublin due to its lowrise nature and big (in comparison to Belfast's) centre, feels like an enourmous town and Belfast's relevatively small core and plethora of tall buildings, just about slips into (small) big city status.

And before anyone starts going "here we go again, high rise v lowrise etc blah blah; it isn't a rant on that subject. It's just an observation OK? :)

I also think that the city hall is one the finest examples of Edwardian architecture I've ever seen. Very imposing and impressive. Imposing can be a good thing too! It's a pity they moved to wheel. I would have liked to have a go on that!
Desmund

Postby gunter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Desmund wrote:. . . . Belfast's relevatively small core and plethora of tall buildings, just about slips into (small) big city status.

I also think that the city hall is one the finest examples of Edwardian architecture I've ever seen. Very imposing and impressive. Imposing can be a good thing too!

I would agree with Desmund, up to a point, but I think the best parts of Belfast are the three or four decent streets in the core where there's still a Victorian/Edwardiam coherence, not the bits dominated by some pretty mediocre high rise blocks.

There was a slight 'Temple Bar' feel to some of the little streets around where the Victoria Square Centre was developed and that's mostly gone now, but at least the new centre made a conscious effort to connect with Belfast's great Victorian heritage and I think in that regard it's been much more of an urban success than any of the random tower blocks I've seen.

I do think that the robust scale of the average Belfast streetscape meant that it was better placed to absorb some taller buildings than say Dublin, and I think some of the more modest [and better designed] of the taller structures, like that 60s block with the abstract muriel up at the Albert Clock, add to the urban quality of the place rather than take away from it.

a rough 1980s sketch of the space in front of the Albert Clock
gunter
Old Master

Postby Global Citizen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 am

Desmund wrote: I was in Belfast two weeks ago. Eventhough its core centre is considerably smaller then that of Dublin's, the westmoreland st/ o connell bridge axis aside, it had I felt much more of a big city feel to it than its southern counterpart. Dublin due to its lowrise nature and big (in comparison to Belfast's) centre, feels like an enourmous town and Belfast's relevatively small core and plethora of tall buildings, just about slips into (small) big city status.

While its tempting to draw comparisons between the two biggest cites on the island for all sorts of reasons, street planning isn't one of them.

Belfast is a child of the industrial revolution.
Dublin is a tired old granny by comparison. (Still feeding her errant grandchildren).

A more suitable comparison to Belfast is Manchester.

Both places suffered damage during WW2 resulting in their grid layout.
As a regular visitor to Belfast and Manchester, I often have to check with myself briefly when I turn a street corner, to remind myself what city I'm in.

Dublin and Belfast are very different towns.
Global Citizen

Postby Sauchiehall » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:33 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/releasethestars/2471805499/
Unusual view of part of the south Belfast skyline, looking west from Queen's University.
Sauchiehall

Postby thebig C » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for that Sauchiehall:)

Indeed...a little seen perspective of the Belfast skyline! I would be too familar with Belfast, so its nice to get different views of the City...it all helps with the old mental picture:)

C
thebig C

Previous

Return to Ireland