Irish Estates, Corbally, Limerick

Irish Estates, Corbally, Limerick

Postby bonnieprince » Mon May 31, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi

I was wondering does anyone know of the history of this estate, i have gathered some information. It seems they were built for pilots/americans working in Rinneanna/Shannon back in the 1950's by Irish Life. The roof's are made from mass concrete T beams. I had also read that there was a house called Lanahrone House in the area before it became an estate which might explain Lanahrone Avenue and there is also a townland called Lanahrone nearby in Co. Clare.
Does anyone know why flat roofs were used?
Are there any other similar estates in Ireland?

thanks

bp.
bonnieprince

Re: Irish Estates, Corbally, Limerick

Postby CologneMike » Mon May 31, 2010 10:47 pm

I know nothing about this estate but maybe the image below might help someone to reveal more. I always liked the open plan nature of this estate.

Abbey Avenue by karlachameleon
Attachments
AbbeyDrive.jpg
AbbeyDrive.jpg (219.38 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Here's a more unaltered one and a side entrance variant
Attachments
irish.jpg
irish.jpg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
qrg8tAXXXP4uWiUnjuMUXydYs8tWu2vekpy0StGcU8BtPWRhZnQmaD00NTA=.jpg
qrg8tAXXXP4uWiUnjuMUXydYs8tWu2vekpy0StGcU8BtPWRhZnQmaD00NTA=.jpg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby bonzer1again » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:45 pm

The houses in the Irish estates were built with flat roofs to be more appealing to the American Pilots coming from New York etc, as it was to remind them of the flat roof apartment blocks over there...that's what I was told anyway.
bonzer1again

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:29 pm

That sounds like a myth really...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Bago » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 pm

There's alot of flat roof cottages on achill island from around this period, no connection probably, or maybe same architect in government employment.
Bago

Postby saintleger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:11 pm

bonnieprince wrote:Hi

I had also read that there was a house called Lanahrone House in the area before it became an estate which might explain Lanahrone Avenue and there is also a townland called Lanahrone nearby in Co. Clare.
bp.

You're right about the house. The osi website now has the 25" (late nineteenth/early twentieth century) maps online, as well as the earlier 6" maps, and there is a house on the site, called Albert Villa on the earlier map, and Lanahrone on the 25" map. You can do an overlay of the modern street map over one of the historic maps, which is pretty nifty. Unfortunately the historic maps don't seem to have their survey dates attached, which would be useful.

I tried to attach a screen grab, but do not have the skills or the patience.
saintleger

Postby EmmiG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi Bonnieprince,
I was wondering where you read that because I am trying to get some info on the Irish Estates in Corbally too and I can't find anything anywhere. All I know is that they were built by Irish Life (who I've e-mailed but no reply as yet) and similar estates were built by Irish Life in Dublin and a couple of other locations around the country in the 1950s which might prove or disprove your American pilot theory. I grew up just down the road from this interesting houses and I'm ashamed to say that all I know about them. I would be extremely grateful for any leads cus I'm hoping to include them in my thesis.
Thanks,
Emma
EmmiG

Postby dc3 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:37 pm

As there were almost no pilots, American or otherwise, based at Shannon when this estate was built, you can discount that myth. There may have been a very small number of managers connected with airline operations at Shannon living in the area but why flat roofs would be of interest to them is not obvious. After all they may have had knowledge of FLW also. These houses were relatively large, so this might explain the interest of expatriates in these houses, rather than the design.

If I recall correctly Irish Estates also built, and owned, the Mespil Road flats in Dublin. There was a big controversy in the late 1970s/1980s when they sold off the flats, sitting tenants erupted.
dc3

Postby bonzer1again » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 pm

I should have put this up earlier, but anyway here you go...it's a link to the OLD LIMERICK JOURNAL, and it's an article on the history of Corbally...it even mentions Lanahrone House as well as some other very interesting facts....

http://www.limerick.ie/media/Media,4042,en.pdf

Enjoy!
bonzer1again

Postby bonnieprince » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 pm

thanks guys for the responses, i am curious as i have just recently bought a house in the area. I had read some stuff from the Limerick Journal also bonzer1again.
That sounds great saintleger i must have a look at those maps.
EmmiG Fitzwilliam Estates are the company who manage the ground rents and i think are run by Irish Life. The old limerick journal is the best source so far and just reading thru older maps has helped too.
The corbally road was the orginal road to Shannon/Rineanna back then so they were probably built for airport staff rather pilots. Let me know what you dig up also.
bp
bonnieprince

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:49 am

bonnieprince wrote:The corbally road was the orginal road to Shannon/Rineanna back then so they were probably built for airport staff rather pilots. Let me know what you dig up also.
bp

Are you sure about that? I would have thought the original route was the Old Cratloe Road to Cratloe, then to Shannon via either Bunratty (don't know when that road was built) or Sixmilebridge and Hurler's Cross.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby bonnieprince » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:42 pm

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:Are you sure about that? I would have thought the original route was the Old Cratloe Road to Cratloe, then to Shannon via either Bunratty (don't know when that road was built) or Sixmilebridge and Hurler's Cross.

Most of the info i have picked up on this has been word of mouth but very little factual information so dont quote me on any of the above ;)
You could go to Shannon via Sixmilebridge, Ardnacrusha, Corbally so its not too far a stretch.
I would love to see some old maps and the main routes that were used, I remember going to shannon when there was no dual carriageway and you passed right outside Durty Nellys.
bonnieprince

Return to Ireland