Architectural heritage of Limerick

Re: Architectural heritage of Limerick

Postby lukejr » Tue May 29, 2012 6:18 pm

bjg wrote:That's a PDF of the press release; the document itself doesn't seem to be on the HC website yet.bjg
Thanks for the link I'll have a read.

Having a museum or gallery isn't just for tourists, but also for the residents of the city. Museums with rotating exhibitions, visiting exhibitions, these all bring locals to visit the city, and re-visit museums. Hence the reason that most museums outside of Ireland offer annual visitor passes and membership.

bjg: Your point has been noted, if you can add constructive discussion please do. But saying No, isn't an answer to the problem I think we are discussing here.

Funding, looking at how other cities fund large capital projects is important. The EU's European Regional Development Fund and National Lottery could be tapped, the EU part funded the Imperial War Museum North in Manchester. Corporate donations, and public fund raising is also possible. But rates are an obvious example, I think in the future local rates will fund visitors via airports. The cities paying for airlines per person to bring them passengers, not the other way around, like it is now. Once visitors start arriving in numbers, using a tourist tax similar to Seattle to fund further projects is a possibility.

Growing the population of Limerick City is key to the sustainability of it as a city, how is this done? The international brand of Limerick City is how it attracts FDI, picking Limerick over Galway or Dublin, or another European city.
lukejr

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm

bjg wrote:Those are things to do on a rainy day in Limerick when you've nothing better to do; none of them will attract folk to visit in the first place, because they're not very interesting or important.

I'd have to disagree with this. You're not going to come to Ireland just to go to Limerick and see those things, but if people are in Ireland then there is potentially a lot to draw people to Limerick. We're competing with Cork and Galway, basically. And if you think about it, there's almost nothing in Cork or Galway of any interest predating the 19th century. They're both architecturally and historically boring. Yet they get more tourists because they're cleaner and better presented.

Other than Dublin, no other city in Ireland has a Georgian quarter as extensive as Limerick. There's little historic architecture of note in Cork or Galway.

Limerick is the only one of the four major cities to have a recognizably medieval castle in the city centre - and no other city has a vista to compare with that of King John's Castle overlooking the river.

Limerick has arguably the best museum in Ireland outside of Dublin. What does Cork have, the butter museum?

Unlike Cork and Galway, Limerick has a medieval cathedral dating back to the 12th century. Yet somehow, 19th century St. Fin Barre's cathedral gets a lot more attention.

Seriously, Limerick City Council, it's not that difficult. "Restore" a few dutch gabled buildings on Nicholas street, put down cobblestones, put some thatched roofs here and there, and subsidise some craft shops - you have a medieval quarter. It's what they do all over England - there are only about three really historic buildings in the whole of Stratford-on-Avon. I was in Romania a few years ago and they were basically in the process of constructing Sighisoara as a medieval town.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby bjg » Tue May 29, 2012 8:55 pm

lukejr wrote:[bjg: Your point has been noted, if you can add constructive discussion please do. But saying No, isn't an answer to the problem I think we are discussing here.

I'm afraid you've lost me: I don't know which point you've noted.

Just in case it's about funding, I'm very much opposed to having taxpayers (or lenders) foot the bill for large projects designed to transfer income to specific industries. I realise of course that seizing the power to force such transfers is what Irish politics is (and always has been) about, but perhaps the present economic situation will teach people a lesson.

lukejr wrote:Growing the population of Limerick City is key to the sustainability of it as a city, how is this done? The international brand of Limerick City is how it attracts FDI, picking Limerick over Galway or Dublin, or another European city.

Why does it need to be sustainable "as a city"? Why not leave it alone?

bjg
bjg

Postby lukejr » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:19 am

An interesting article in the Irish Times today, titled: 80% of jobs in new foreign firms go to just three cities. Limerick and Waterford both being left behind, majority of jobs going to Dublin, Cork and Galway.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0605/1224317294706.html

“You have to create investment in places to make them attractive for foreign direct investment. Places such as Waterford and Limerick have not received that boost.”
lukejr

Postby pigtown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm

http://www.sfpc.ie/download/Draft%20SFP ... 202013.pdf
Shannon Foynes Port Company's draft masterplan envisages redeveloping Bannatyne Mills on the Dock Rd. Page 65 of the document has some interesting illustrations of what the building could look like if it was reused. I just wonder what kind of a company would take on the refurbishment of such a building. It would need a massive amount of work.
pigtown

Postby pigtown » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Preliminary work has started on the conservation of the Mill.
http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/busin ... -1-4748124
More info on the building here http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/s ... o=21516002
It certainly is an imposing building and would be an impressive headquarters for any business.
pigtown

Postby vitruvius » Mon May 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Just to let people know- Dan Cruikshank will be giving a lecture , organised by the local chapter of the Irish Georgian Society, in the Hunt museum, next Monday evening (7pm), entitled ' A future for Georgian Limerick'.
It promises to be an interesting evening. Hopefully it will be an opportunity for all of us who are interested in preserving the architecture of Limerick and revitalising the city centre to enjoy an outsider's opinion, and to learn about how other cities have succeeded in preserving their heritage.
vitruvius

Previous

Return to Ireland