Limerick City Council's Riverside Projects

Re: City Council’s Riverside Projects

Postby teak » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Though the cut-stone dry dock is worth preserving.

What do you mean ?
All of the cut stone or just the part at ground level ?
If it's to be an open air pool, then it can only be so deep for water-safety reasons.
This makes it necessary to build up the lower levels of the drydock, after filling and draining pipes are lain.
Would also need to be lined (insulation + sealing) and painted azure for better appearance.
Personally I'd say the additional amenity of such an amenity would be well worth the loss of a piece of the urbs antiqua big limestones . . .
teak

Postby CologneMike » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 pm

teak wrote:Though the cut-stone dry dock is worth preserving.

What do you mean? All of the cut stone or just the part at ground level ?

I meant the whole structure. If the docks were ever to be redeveloped, then the dry dock could be become part of a maritime heritage museum. There is plenty of space to develop an “Urban Beach” behind the Clarion Hotel / Hegarty’s scrap heap. Digging a hole is no big problem.

If it's to be an open air pool, then it can only be so deep for water-safety reasons.
This makes it necessary to build up the lower levels of the drydock, after filling and draining pipes are lain.

The higher the diving boards, the deeper the pool?

Would also need to be lined (insulation + sealing) and painted azure for better appearance.

Well sealed I hope, the old gas works across the road is only yards away and is classed a “Seveso site” :mad:

Personally I'd say the additional amenity of such an amenity would be well worth the loss of a piece of the urbs antiqua big limestones . . .

We can have both.

See also similar drawing from thread “Graving docks at Grand Canal Dock”

Photos LimerickStudent and Limerick Museum

[INDENT]Update: Found the third image on the Limerick Museum site today, gives a good working close up of it.

Paddle steamer The Flying Huntsman, Limerick, in dry dock propped with spars.

See larger image.[/INDENT]
Attachments
GravingDockInUse.jpg
GravingDockInUse.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 9080 times
PeepFromGravingDock.jpg
PeepFromGravingDock.jpg (191.2 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
OldEntrance_GravingDock.jpg
OldEntrance_GravingDock.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby teak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:23 pm

the dry dock could be become part of a maritime heritage museum.

That part of the docks (and that is all that the LCC may ever be able to get from the Port Company) is not so big as to be able to facilitate 2 major complexes.
As well as the open air pool, one would need decently arranged changing rooms, warm salts rescue paths, unobstructed access for emergency vehicles regardless of crowds, etc.

If it went to a choice for that site, I think that the more important amenity would be the pool.
But if the museum can only be sited there, then where does one put the open air pool ?

All academic anyway as the local council has no money !;)
teak

Postby CologneMike » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Public Realm Phase 3 ~ Harvey’s Quay

I saw on boards.ie that the paving stones along the quays are been taken up. Are they been replaced or just getting re-laid? The type of cobble stone used in the last photo below is definitely more preferable than those in the first image.

I suppose the fact the railings were only re-painted white, would mean the original plans as in the drawings above for phase 3 of the quays (Harvey’s, Howley’s, Bishop’s and Russell’s) are not now going ahead?

Images from Stan the man
Attachments
QuayPavement1.jpg
QuayPavement1.jpg (56.57 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
QuayPavement2.jpg
QuayPavement2.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 9040 times
QuayPavement3.jpg
QuayPavement3.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
QuayPavement4.jpg
QuayPavement4.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 9044 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 pm

CologneMike wrote:

I saw on boards.ie that the paving stones along the quays are been taken up. Are they been replaced or just getting re-laid? The type of cobble stone used in the last photo below is definitely more preferable than those in the first image.

I suppose the fact the railings were only re-painted white, would mean the original plans as in the drawings above for phase 3 of the quays (Harvey’s, Howley’s, Bishop’s and Russell’s) are not now going ahead?

Looks to be the same concrete setts that they used for the footpaths along the new link road on Upper William Street/Sexton Street and the new bus lane on Mulgrave Street. Maybe they just wanted to use up some left overs.

I haven't been down that way in a good while but the paving was in fairly poor shape. Perhaps this is just a stop-gap measure until the money hopefully becomes available to revamp the quayside as envisaged in the plans above.
Tuborg

Postby PoxyShamrock » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:18 pm

CologneMike wrote:Image

Images from Stan the man

This is in fact going to be where the Dockers Memorial will be unveiled in a few weeks.
PoxyShamrock

Postby CologneMike » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 pm

PoxyShamrock wrote:This is in fact going to be where the Dockers Memorial will be unveiled in a few weeks.

I should re-read my posts sometimes! :o

Thanks PoxyShamrock, see February post!

[INDENT]The work will consist of two life-sized dockers carrying a plank and will be at Spokane Walk between Bishop’s and Honan’s Quays.[/INDENT]

[INDENT]We hope to have it in place by June.” Cllr Long welcomed the long-awaited monument and said that original cobblestones taken up in the redevelopment of the dockland area will be incorporated into the memorial.

[/INDENT]
Tuborg wrote:Perhaps this is just a stop-gap measure until the money hopefully becomes available to revamp the quayside as envisaged in the plans above.

I thought the same and I really hope the council can get the funds to finish the quays off properly.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:56 pm

The ”Managers Report Draft Budget 2010” for the Limerick City Council reveals the following status for the quays.

Transportation and Infrastructure ~ Roads and Water Services

[INDENT]3. Road Maintenance
In 2009 Limerick City Council carried out in excess of 100,000m² road surface overlay and strengthening works at various locations throughout the city including major resurfacing works at;

. . . . . . . . . . . . Howleys Quay, Harveys Quay . . . . . . . .[/INDENT]

[INDENT]6. Riverside Strategy
The Riverside is one of the most important natural assets of Limerick City and this is recognisable by the substantial new development investment currently taking place along the riverside. To complement these initiatives by the private sector Limerick City Council has prepared a riverside strategy that aims to re-evaluate the potential of this important public area to create a high quality amenity area that compliments and reinforces the Riverside City image. In this respect several schemes are currently being advanced and these include.

d) Other Riverside Projects
Plans are currently being developed for other schemes along the riverside including:

Full upgrade of the riverside promenade between Shannon Bridge and Sarsfield Bridge along Bishop’s Quay, Howley's Quay and Harvey's Quay.[/INDENT]

So the road on the quays got resurfaced in 2009 and the promenade (Public Realm Phase 3) is still in planning.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Just a pity that the memorial isn't being unveiled in a fully refurbished quayside setting instead of the current ragged surroundings.

I found some model images of the memorial. It was originally meant to consist of four bronze figures but sadly it's been scaled back to just two (the lads carrying the plank of wood). Maybe they might commission the rest of the figures when the money becomes available.

Mike Duhan Sculptor

Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Commemorative Booklet published to mark the unveiling of the Docker's monument.

Images from CCSL

More photos of the sculpture here.
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Marie Hobbins writes in this week’s Limerick Post where Vincent Murray (City Council Senior Engineer) discloses details for Boardwalks.

[INDENT]. . . . . . . . It was also revealed that the council is hoping of funding being confirmed by February.

“Boardwalks will be built from Poor Man’s Kilkee to Lower Cecil Street - we could start this in October. . . . . . . . “[/INDENT]

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby zulutango » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:38 am

i think Vincent Murray means October 2011 when he says that. The quote is not clear but it is most likely what he means.
zulutango

Postby justnotbothered » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:28 am

New riverside project in King’s Island district
Written by Marie Hobbins
FRIDAY, 24 SEPTEMBER 2010 08:49
TENDERS are likely to be sought for the development of a new Island Bank Walkway in King’s Island.
The project will include an upgrading of the existing surface along the route with new tarmacadam or patch repairs to the existing tarmacadam, surfacing, as appropriate, the installation of kerbs, fencing and landscaping works.

Some funding is available from the regeneration programme, and Cllr Gerry McLoughlin has submitted a notice of motion to Limerick City Council that it puts in place an environmental plan for the project, “for the benefit of the wider area and for regional tourism”.
The redevelopment plan for the bank walkway includes the installation of pedestrian turnstile access points for seven locations including King’s Island Community Centre, Athlunkard Street and Lee Estate.

“It is also proposed to provide a new tarmacadam surface access between the Abbey River and Lee Estate, suitable for occasional vehicular access, with speed ramps and vehicular gates - essential for the emergency services,” said Cllr McLoughlin, who added:
“There will also be a line marked out for cyclists, as well as turnstiles to block out entry to cars and quad bikes. A boardwalk will link up with King John’s Castle - it will be for the local people, but also for everyone in the city, as well as visitors”.

Describing the project as “an ambitious plan,” Cllr John Gilligan, a resident of King’s Island, said the bank had began to sink - I totally support this project getting underway”.
Cllr Tom Shortt said be believes the Island Bank was built by direct labour during the famine years.
“As it stands today, it is seriously under-utilised but it is a lovely walk and I support the project one hundred per cent - it is another great example of turning the city towards the river.”

Cllr Shortt, who resides on Brown’s Quay, is calling for the removal of the salmon weir on the river. The weir is located in the stretch of river that flows between the island of St Mary’s Park and the Thomondgate area.
“It ceased operation 30 years ago and is now a derelict site in the river and is obstructing navigation. The Fisheries Board should now remove it - to do so, would give a new lease of life to the development of the river”.

Cllr Orla McLoughlin said that the weir was shrouding St Mary’s Park.
“We sing the parish anthem - There is an Isle, which means so much to us - the creation of the new Island Walkway presents an opportunity to rectify the imbalance of development in King’s Island”.
justnotbothered

Postby zulutango » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Not sure what Orla McLoughlin means when she says the weir is shrouding St. Mary's Park, but it's quite difficult even for small rowing boats to get through it, and I remember one particularly incident for five young oarsmen a few years ago when their boat was snapped in two as it was forced sideways through the weir by a going tide. They had a lucky escape that day. The weir served only one purpose and that was to exploit the natural salmon stocks in the river, and it did so to near-extinction. Time for it to go. I would imagine it would cost a huge amount to remove it though.
zulutango

Postby CologneMike » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 pm

justnotbothered wrote: New riverside project in King’s Island district

TENDERS are likely to be sought for the development of a new Island Bank Walkway in King’s Island.

. . . . . Cllr McLoughlin, who added:
“There will also be a line marked out for cyclists, as well as turnstiles to block out entry to cars and quad bikes. A boardwalk will link up with King John’s Castle - it will be for the local people, but also for everyone in the city, as well as visitors”. . . . . . .

This old image shows that the road from the Island field (Verdant Place) had originally no direct access to the bridge via the Toll House, as it seems that there was a flight of steps at that junction?

I wonder are these steps still there under the road? Maybe instead of a boardwalk link with the castle why not extend a pedestrianised river walk around the rear of St.Munchin’s Church by restoring the former steps? The junction as it is today, is definitely not the best location for road safety reasons. Access to St. Mary’s Park is now better served at the roundabout 200 yards further on?

Limerick Museum: Larger image
Attachments
VerdantPlace.jpg
VerdantPlace.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 8894 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Damaged Railings ~ Curragour Bund (PDF)

• SUPPLIER: Burdens Ltd. Little Island, Co. Cork
  • REF: BXPU 1577-5-BP
  • MATERIAL/FINISH/COLOUR: Duracast polyurethane, colour: white
  • SPECIAL FEATURES: 75mm dia. Stainless steel top rail
  • METHOD OF FIXING: As suppliers instructions

Looking at the second railing bar from the bottom, one can only speculate that these bars are either too soft or the wrong diameter size was used as they don’t live up to any anti-vandal expectation.

The missing one was only half hanging-off two months ago and to my surprise the hollow railing bar had two / three thick cable-wires running through them. Why?

What’s the storey here then? Damage by vandalism, soft materials or reversing boat-trailers? :(

See also Broxap 1577-5 Quayside Curved or PDF
Attachments
MissingRails.jpg
MissingRails.jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby justnotbothered » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Good questions, Mike. I would suspect vandalism/ill suited materials as i don't think I've seen any boat trailers use that slipway, the kayakers usually park by the Curragower bar from what I've seen.

If you were to stand on the bars would they bend (ie, weak material) or what type of effort would be needed to damage them in this instance?
justnotbothered

Re: City CouncilÂ’s Riverside Projects

Postby CologneMike » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Funding secured for new riverside trail in Limerick city

By Owen Hickey (Limerick Leader)

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local ... _1_3190356

LIMERICK’S tourism industry is set for a major boost after funding of over €3m was secured for the development of a trail along Howley’s Quay.

The trail, which covers the area between Shannon Bridge and Sarsfield Bridge, is the next stage of the Limerick Riverside Improvement Strategy. One side of the river bank is set for major remodelling in the new project with public realm works, including coach parking bays, interpretation boards, board walks, street furniture and lighting and slipways to the river.

The funding is being provided by Fáilte Ireland under the Tourism Capital Investment Programme.

Minister for Finance Michael Noonan believes this is a critical development for the city and thinks locals will benefit.

“I welcome this allocation by Fáilte Ireland towards the development of Limerick’s public tourism infrastructure. The works on the banks of the river Shannon are critical to further developing Limerick’s position as a Riverside City and this funding will assist in developing the surrounding city as an attraction for visitors,” he said.

This is good news!
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby pigtown » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Sounds good. The work done to the two Strands was very well done so I'd imagine if it's more of the same it can only be a good thing.
pigtown

Custom House Quay

Postby CologneMike » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Dan S wrote: . . . . . . The main focus of this project was the riverfront from the Hunt museum to the castle. I've put it all online including the panels I showed at the library with all the explanatory notes. It can be viewed here http://www.townscaper.com/

Museum Plaza

Sarsfield Hse. In its current form does not contribute to the spatial coherence of the site. It sits in space in an obstructive way when it ought to be helping to positively shape the spaces around it. Thus The Custom House Park, (the space behind the Hunt Museum), does not have a strong sense of enclosure or sense of place (which a strong sense of enclosure can bring).Creating an active frontage along its length is one part of the solution.

Another is to adjust the heigtht of the new building to match that of the Hunt Museum, continuing the cornice line. This would help create a more evenly balanced and unifed spatial boundary, and thus a greater sense of enclosure and spatial cohesion.

I like your ideas for a museum plaza.

Your “before and after” comparison of the frontage of Sarsfield House along the Custom House Quay really sends the message home as to how much potential the riverfront has.
Attachments
Sarsfield House After - Custom House Plaza.png
Sarsfield House Before - Custom House Plaza.png
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby pigtown » Tue May 22, 2012 11:50 am

Lots of activity on Harveys Quay area yesterday. Are they finally starting the new boardwalks? Can't see anything in the Leader or City Council websites.
pigtown

Re: City Council's Riverside Projects

Postby CologneMike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 pm

City Quays - Limerick Riverside Improvement Strategy (City Council)

Funded under the NDP (2007 – 2013) Tourism Programme and by Limerick City Council

The City Quay’s project represents the next stage in the City Riverside Improvement Strategy, which aims to provide a high quality waterside environment for public use and enjoyment of the River Shannon, as well as a unique setting for the on-going revitalisation of the city centre.

The project is being undertaken by Limerick Council at a total cost of almost €5 million, with part-funding secured through Shannon Development and Fáilte Ireland under the NDP (2007–2013) Tourism Programme.

The River Shannon is one of the most important assets of the city, providing a unique natural resource for both residents and visitors, and as recognised by substantial new development investment and the overall vision for Riverside City.

This stage of the strategy will see substantial upgrading of the waterfront between Shannon Bridge and Sarsfield Street, comprising widened and resurfaced footpaths in high quality materials, boardwalks extending out over the river, a distinctive viewing/performance structure, new street furniture and improved street lighting, seating areas and landscaping.

The project will reinforce the recently completed improvement works on O’Callaghan’s and Clancy’s Strands through the realisation of a continuous visitor trail around the key sections of the river with enhanced water-based activities, while also complementing the public realm improvements of the City Centre.

The construction contract for the quays has been awarded to L&M Keating, Kilmihill, with a contract period of 7 months. The scheme design has been prepared by Nicholas de Jong Associates (Urban Design), with O’Shea Consulting (Engineers) and Lawlor & Partners (Project Management).

Development of the design proposals has entailed on-going consultation with key stakeholders and local businesses, which will continue throughout the construction programme.
Attachments
View from Sarsfield's Bridge.jpg
Poorman's Kilkee.jpg
Howley's Quay.jpg
Harvey's Quay.jpg
Harvey's Quay - Howley's Quay - Bishop's Quay.jpg
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby pigtown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Has anybody any updates of this project? I'm looking forward to sitting outside Claw's with a pint in the sunshine looking at the swans.
pigtown

Re: Limerick City Council's Riverside Projects

Postby Tuborg » Sun May 12, 2013 10:57 pm

City Quays upgrade May 2013

The remodelling of the quays from Shannon bridge to Sarsfield bridge is progressing. The stretch from Sarsfield bridge to Poor Mans Kilkee would appear to be the most advanced. A section of the quayside from Lower Cecil Street to Lower Shannon Street is to be pedestrianised as part of the project although there are no visible signs of this yet.

The boardwalk and new lighting scheme will obviously not be installed until the final stages of the scheme.

Thankfully the paving material being laid appears to be of a higher standard than was used in recent years on William Street and Sarsfield Street. Which it would seem are not entirely suited to an Irish climate given the extent of the weathering and discolouration.

A similar issue would also appear to be arising here just as it did on the revamp of the quays on the opposite bank. The integration of the new paving with the existing quay wall will be problematic again. We're going to see some pretty odd angles at the tie-in points but I think it's entirely appropriate that the quay wall is preserved rather than covered over.

Attachments
City Quays May 2013 III.jpg
City Quays May 2013.jpg
City Quays May 2013 II.jpg
Tuborg

Previous

Return to Ireland