Cornmarket St (De Coal Kay)

Re: Cornmarket St (De Coal Kay)

Postby phatman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:39 pm

Any chance of some pictures? :D
phatman

Postby barneymagee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 am

Yea the traders are expected back when the current work finishes. Probably the end of the month although I did see the mobile phone accessories guy there yesterday. (Thursday)

According to the artists impression posters up on the street it suggests there will be new canopies but I think this has been stalled. The businesses and the traders had concerns so I think its a wait and see on a possible canopy.
barneymagee

Postby jungle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:13 pm

I hear that the Bridewell has been declared unfit for purpose as a garda station.

Of course, it gets a temporary reprieve as it's the only city centre garda station with cells in it.

This could be interesting in terms of the street development. Will we see a new garda station on the site? Will we get a complete overhaul of the existing building? Will the gardai just close it? If so, what happens to the site?

Of course, a lot will depend on currently available central government funding.

Does anyone know if the building is listed? I had heard previously that it is.
jungle

Postby browser » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Was on Coal Quay at lunch time. Will be nice when finished (ie. once works materials, fencing etc is removed and once the works vehicles parked on the site are removed). No idea yet of lighting - just poles still. Interesting though to see how adjacent businesses are responding. The Cornstore seem to have widened their outside eating area to avail of the new wider footpath - works very well and looks nice. The Bodega however have put in place (not sure how recent this is) Carlsberg sponsored green awnings bearing the name "Bodega". They look awful and completely out of place on a lovely building.
browser

Postby Yossarian » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:10 pm

they didn't really offend me, those awnings. i just look forward to seeing the rest of the local businesses sort their acts out, the majority of signage and general upkeep of the facades needs to be drastically improved. also, if there's to be no movement on the pair of vacant sites adjacent to the loft, i'd love to see them surfaced and used for something.
Yossarian

Postby who_me » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm guessing the lamps will be like those on Anglesea St; or as seen here in the plans for Academy St.

They also have these on Opera Lane itself, on the buildings rather than than on posts (as you can see on the right-hand side of this image).
who_me

Postby who_me » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 am

Last time by this area, there were piles of paving stones newly deposited at the Northern end - it looks like the second phase of this is going ahead! Good to see.
who_me

Postby Leesider » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am

Hi, does anyone have photos of how all of this progressing?? Haven't been home since September so not sure what it looks like now. Cheers
Leesider

Postby who_me » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:49 pm

I'll try to grab some photos later in the week, if no one else beats me to it. Phase 1 looks good, but the old broken down stalls there don't really fit in. Phase 2 has started and is flying along. I don't know what the final plan is regarding the canopy or semi-permanent stalls.
who_me

Postby Leesider » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:03 am

Good man who_me, it would great if you can get a few photos up!
Leesider

Postby who_me » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:04 am

Apologies! I mean to post these a LOT sooner. They're not great (taken on a phone) but better than nothing!

The view from near the Roundy, looking North. The Cornstore and Bodega are using the wider footpath for tables/smoking areas.

The top of Kyle St. You can see the new road layout here, with the Cornmarket and Kyle St lanes now being separated.

The Bridewell station; looks much better with the new pavement; and as you can see here it extends around onto Kyrl's St.
who_me

Postby quinninin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks for the pictures, the street looks great!
quinninin

Postby Leesider » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks for the photos, looks good, going to see it in the flesh next month when I am back for a couple of weeks!
Leesider

Previous

Return to Ireland