New Build Planning Question

New Build Planning Question

Postby stephentabb2000 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:01 am

Hi, I am 4 months into the build of my house. The council gave us planning to have the house pitch higher than the two adjoining sites by 18 inches and to install various size velux to the front.

The house on the right has lodged a complaint as they feel the roof pitch is higher than planned for and the velux installed are bigger. Our architect, engineer and contractor have since checked all measurements etc and have found that all the velux are correct but the pitch is approx 4 inches higher than should be.

Our engineer has wrote to cork county council saying than the building is conforming to the plans and has invited enforcement for a visit if they wish so.

Would anybody know if this 4 inches in height difference would be an issue?
stephentabb2000

Re: New Build Planning Question

Postby DOC » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:00 am

To be honest I don't think 4" in the overall height of a house will be an issue - can't give a definitive answer - that would be down to the Council (and probably the individual looking at the case) but generally there is/should be some tolerance allowed by the Council.
DOC

Postby stephentabb2000 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:30 pm

Yeah that's what the engineer and architect seem to think, but there is still the element of worry. I would love to know how our neighbour could possibly have taught the pitch was to high
stephentabb2000

Postby missarchi » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Have you even bothered surveying it yourself?
I don't see how they know its four inch's without surveying it...
Unless they came on your property and shot a laser onto adam & eve
missarchi
Old Master

Postby DOC » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:55 pm

Just to give you a litlle more peace of mind! Cork County Council learnt to their detriment a number of years ago that its human nature/the nature of construction for there to be very small differences between drawings and what's actually built.

I was invloved in a case (on the periphery) where a developer built a scheme of houses and there were some differences between what was built and what was on planning drawings (significantly more than 4" I can tell you - we're talking in terms of feet in both plan and height) for various reasons including topography and the competence of the person who prepared the planning application. CCC pushed enforcement proceedings all the way to the High Court (being pressurised by on particular local resident) but were slapped on the wrist and derided by the judge for bringing such a case. He ruled that the development was generally in keeping with that granted permission and because it caused no significant additional negative impact to the adjoining properties the development as built was basically in complaince with planning permission granted. He also told CCC that a certain degree of tolerance had to be applied when comparing as built structures with planning drawings - common sense should prevail!

Just to add, I am not saying for a minute that people should have carte blanche to get planning permission and then build what they like! But in some cases the as built structure, for legimate reasons can differ slightly from that granted permission. The case above was decided on it's merits.
DOC

Postby stephentabb2000 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for that bit of info about cork county council, the house has being surveyed. I think the neighbours presumed we did not adhere to the plans because our pitch is that little higher as was granted.

But it does beg the question are Irish people only to willing to point out faults even if they are not directly or indirectly effecting them.

Thanks for the advice DOC!
stephentabb2000

Postby tommyt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:46 am

tommyt

Postby damproof » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 pm

"http://www.munster-express.ie/local-...anning-appeal/

se the kink above for a similar situation FYI. "

Ha ha that is some brilliant self-promo. Fair play to Mr. Thompson but is there anything the local papers won't print???
damproof

Postby stephentabb2000 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:35 pm

Some interesting reading, i bet the council felt small after being bullied into that situation by a third party.
stephentabb2000

Postby parka » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:44 pm

Your neighbour has too much time on their hands.
parka

Postby tommyt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 pm

damproof wrote:"http://www.munster-express.ie/local-...anning-appeal/

se the kink above for a similar situation FYI. "

Ha ha that is some brilliant self-promo. Fair play to Mr. Thompson but is there anything the local papers won't print???

Call Peter T, that's his name- that name again is Peter T;)
tommyt

Postby stephentabb2000 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 pm

To give a conclusion on this post. The council have now closed the case after a full investigation. They found that any changes were immaterial and they did not deviate from the overall plans, case closed and no further action.

Thanks for the replys.
stephentabb2000

Return to Ireland