Savoy and Pavillion Cork

Savoy and Pavillion Cork

Postby Niall123 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:18 am

Hi guys.

For the Savoy would anyone be able to tell me when

1. The upstrairs part of the building closed as a cinema.
2. When it was renovated into it current format. I remember it used to have an open plan restaurant in the middle in the past.

For the old Pav (now HMV) could anyone tell me when it closed and was turned into HMV.

Thanks.

Sorry if this is all a bit of topic, but from what I can tell its prob the best place on the entire net to ask.
Niall123

Re: Savoy and Pavillion Cork

Postby Bourgeoise » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:03 am

The Savoy cinema closed in the early 1980's and became a live music venue for a time (I remember seeing the Smiths there twice as a young teen).The Rolling Stones & The Bee Gees played there in the 1960's

It was renovated into a nightclub - live music venue in the late 1990's by the owners of the Bodega & The Roundy 9 the same people owned the Globe / Ri-Ra in Dublin and have now gone into the Cafe/Bar/Deli restaurant business.

The Pav was turned into HMV around 1990 and the upstairs part has recently turned into a night club and live music venue with bar at ground floor level.

There is a great book out there "The Golden age of Cork cinemas" which could be of help also.
Bourgeoise

Postby lawyer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 pm

The book that Bourgeoise referred to (The Golden Age of Cork Cinemas) by John McSweeney was published by Rose Arch publications in 2003.
I have a copy which you are welcome to borrow.
If you need it, PM me.
lawyer

Postby jdivision » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Bourgeoise wrote:
It was renovated into a nightclub - live music venue in the late 1990's by the owners of the Bodega & The Roundy 9 the same people owned the Globe / Ri-Ra in Dublin and have now gone into the Cafe/Bar/Deli restaurant business.

That would be Jay Bourke and Eoin Foyle but they did have local partners in the venture
jdivision

Return to Ireland