Boating around Cork

Boating around Cork

Postby Yossarian » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 am

With the docklands under way, what are your thoughts on the opening up of the city to river access, a la Lapps Quay? Could/should the city quays be made to accomodate small visiting craft from Cobh, Ringaskiddy and beyond? a huge plus would be activating the rivers and quays, as well as providing an alternative to early morning traffic, and underlining corks past and present as a river city...

I say lets have river cafes, boating into work, leisure trips from city centre to coastal idylls... what do you say?
Yossarian

Re: Boating around Cork

Postby Ebeck » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 am

Few would disagree with you Yossarian, however it's understood that to get the various docklands projects up and running we need to prise €100M from our current government to build the new swing bridge . Getting €100M for a project outside of Dublin is an impossibility.

I think we need to promote water transport and water sports a lot more than we do. Swim to work I say!!
Ebeck

Postby Pug » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:00 pm

planning applications already in for a boat that will ring commuters frmo cobh, passage, crosshaven up to the city, some planning already received, think they are trying to work out how to fit the leisure use of the river around it
Pug

Postby theblimp » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:18 pm

I think the big sticking-point will be the speed-limit in from Blackrock Castle which, in turn, relates to the rowers further in. It can take a loooooonnnng time to get in once you drop your speed, and even at the speed limit, the rowers will often complain (sometimes justifiably, sometimes not) that you're creating too large a wash.
theblimp

Postby who_me » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 pm

theblimp wrote:I think the big sticking-point will be the speed-limit in from Blackrock Castle which, in turn, relates to the rowers further in. It can take a loooooonnnng time to get in once you drop your speed, and even at the speed limit, the rowers will often complain (sometimes justifiably, sometimes not) that you're creating too large a wash.

If the only objection is from rowers, wouldn't the logical move be to create time slots with high speed when the ferries can operate, and low-speed slots when the speed restrictions apply for rowers.

Having everyone conform to the lowest denominator at all times seems a bit daft.
who_me

Postby Angry Rebel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:34 am

The ferries proposed are a low wash design so not sure how much of an issue it really is. Suspect the rowers are more afraid of being run over than turned over.
Angry Rebel

Postby Yossarian » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:59 am

well the advantage of locating the rowing clubs at the wider stretch of river is that the water is slow moving and can be smooth as glass on good days. good boats and skulls will be tipped over by very small waves. that said, there's already a bit of traffic going by and the rowers can survive their wakes. designated timeslots for marine traffic seems a viable solution.
are the existing bridges in cork high enough to allow small craft to pass underneath?
Yossarian

Postby Yossarian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:24 am

"Planning
Cork Docklands River Use and Management Plan Draft Scoping Report
In response to a recommendation made within the South Docks Local Area Plan 2008, Cork City Council intends to commission Consultants to prepare a River Management and Use Plan for Docklands in anticipation of the relocation of the Port of Cork and the redevelopment of the area. This Plan will also address recreational needs, management of potential usage, conflicts and provision of specific land-based facilities such as public slipways, pontoons and moorings.

A Draft Scoping Report for the Plan has been prepared which aims to:

provide an opportunity to all relevant stakeholders to shape the format and content of the Plan at an early state;
identify the crucial issues which will need to be addressed by the Plan; and ensure that all relevant issues will be identified and to anticipate and plan for the future.
The Draft Scoping Report is available for viewing/downloading in pdf format or in hardcopy format from Docklands Directorate, Cork City Council, City Hall (Te.l 021 4924034).

We are currently seeking your comments/submissions on this Draft Scoping Report which will help inform the detailed brief for the Consultants to prepare the Plan. Submissions may be made in writing to Docklands Directorate, Cork City Council, City Hall, Cork or via e mail to corkdocks@corkcity.ie.

Submissions should be made by 5 p.m. 19th September 2008." - corkdocklands.ie

here's a link to download the PDF.

http://www.corkdocklands.ie/planning/riveruseandmanagementplandraftscopingreport/
Yossarian

Postby Mike Purdy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:36 pm

As you know Cork Sea Safari run from Lapps Quay at present, http://www.safari.ie, outside the Clarion. They tend to observe speed limits and general good manners. Tide is an issue though under the low bridges for most boats.

As a keen rower of curraghs up and down the Lee, I am watching developments with interest! The wake from ribs is generally bigger than the 'low wash' boats mentioned, but higher power boat traffic will give rise to safety issues with all the rowing clubs. Time slots for river users may not be practical.

Rowing is part of Corks sporting and cultural heritage so consultation all round will be needed, in addition to the now expired Docklands Development submissions.
Mike Purdy

Return to Ireland