what's going up in Cobh

Re: Cork Harbour

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:52 pm

So, this O'Connor chap is the assistant principal architect with the Board of Works....

The Heritage award was given to a television box in Cobh on the recommendation of the O'C chap....

The Television Box in Cobh was designed by the Board of Works....

If this is what is called HERITAGE then I would call on all self respecting architects and builders to return their Opus Awards!

(But, are we sure we are not talking abut the refurbishing of a previous location or something?)
Praxiteles
Old Master

Cobh Social Welfare Office

Postby samuel j » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:18 pm

I wonder to if the award was for the refurbishment of the old Customs House which was derelict for years. This the the red bricked south facing building. But it had a large yard at the back of it and it is to to they have latched on the TV set....
So the two are linked and public access would seem to be via the Telly..... what the plans are for the remainder of the building are I'm not sure. did hear a rumour about the Post Office moving but not sure if here...
Regardless this TV set in this location is awful.

If anyone had wording of award am sure it would clarify whether award for all or part of the ex Customs House
samuel j

Postby kite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Praxiteles wrote:So, this O'Connor chap is the assistant principal architect with the Board of Works....

The Heritage award was given to a television box in Cobh on the recommendation of the O'C chap....

The Television Box in Cobh was designed by the Board of Works....

If this is what is called HERITAGE then I would call on all self respecting architects and builders to return their Opus Awards!

(But, are we sure we are not talking abut the refurbishing of a previous location or something?)

Opus Awards;
"Heritage Award"
"Highly-Commended: Cobh Social Welfare Office, Cobh, Co Cork.
Office of Public Works / Cumman Construction."

The TV box has a sign declaring itself the Social Welfare Office so i am assuming that this pile of vile got the award?:confused:
kite

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:38 pm

Even in my wildest scepitcism I cnnot imagine that this got a HERITAGE award. there must be a mistake somewhere - I hope, but given the level of laziness and incompetence in Cobh Urban District Council anything is possible!
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:47 pm

Praxiteles wrote:
"Heritage Award

Highly-Commended: Cobh Social Welfare Office, Cobh, Co Cork.
Office of Public Works / Cumman Construction."

Could it possibly be anything else?

That is the exact wording as published in the link cited above.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby kite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:01 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Even in my wildest scepitcism I cnnot imagine that this got a HERITAGE award. there must be a mistake somewhere - I hope, but given the level of laziness and incompetence in Cobh Urban District Council anything is possible!

I would be amazed at his award as well if it was not for the fact that Victoria Mills got the Opus highly commended award for 2005, the “beautiful gateway to the city from the West” according to the City Manager Joe Gavin and the former Lord Mayor and sex shop opener Colm Burke and possible MEP for Cork if double jobber Simon son of Hugh gets to be a Minister under Enda Kenny.:eek:
kite

Postby Morlan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:17 am

Praxiteles wrote:Now, just to be clear about it -in case I have missed something - this is what was highly commended for a HERITAGE entry in the Opus Competition. Has THE_CHRIS seen this?

It looks like a widescreen telly Image

Seriously though, are they going to paint it or is that the finished job? :eek: It's terrible!
Morlan

Postby THE_Chris » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:31 am

Although I do feel that this development is good and is needed, I nonetheless accept this delay because lets face it, the lobby group were thrown out on what was the most ridiculous technicality Ive seen in a long time.

That said, build it and stop wasting time :D
THE_Chris

Postby samuel j » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Needed..badly needed, Cobhs last chance .... I reckon... heavy industry all but gone, tourism related business about all thta is left and the evidence is out there that boaties...spend...
spike a non starter and will most likely be a working super prison....
samuel j

Postby Praxiteles » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:48 pm

Courtesy of Alan, a young Cobh photographer, we are able to bring you these views of Cobh from the Harbour. It gves you an idea of the spectacular siting of the town of Cobh and of St. Colman's Cathedral. It also gives you an idea of the stupidity of Cobh Urban District Council in allowing eye-sores like grotty water towers, phoney river-boats, and make-believe telly-tubbies to be built into this unique environment:
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:52 pm

ANd some more of Alan's shots from the harbour:
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 pm

Looking at those photographs again, I notice a large new building in the lower righ-hand corner. Just what is that, how high is it and does it dominate the surrounding buildings?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby samuel j » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:30 pm

These are Apartments built about 4 -5 years ago, horrible and block daylight from the street behind, Harbour Row, which some occupants took a few bob for the loss of their view but unfortunately many of the Harbour row premises behind this block where rented flats etc. so actual owners had little care of what was built.
It was probably the first new buildings of any form in the town area at the time and replaced many derelict
falling down properties so many believed any developement there would be an improvement. This was short lived it is awful, agian I have to say from sea it looks so out of place...but it got approval.......
samuel j

Postby Praxiteles » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:54 pm

A ha!

As I suspected, another example of the Cobh Urban District Council's idleness and laziness. Are we to suppose that the town architect checked the heights of these awful things before they were built? Can it be that no more than a couple of minutes of Denis Deasey's waking hours were available to go through the plans for this monstrosity. Can anyone explain why Cobh Urban District Council is bloody determined to sink the town by systematically eliminating everything characteristic about it commencing with the wrecking of the Cathedral, continuing with the building of ugly water towers where they will be noticed, never objecting to the permanent docking of the Mississippi Show Boat nor the dumping of a disused television set in a historical terrace and I also notice in the new photographs a large mast built further up the hill from the Cathedral. Does anyone in the Cobh Urban District Council -including the manageress - making these decisions actually live in Cobh any more?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby samuel j » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:30 pm

Decision makers NO.... councillors ....YES.........
Did you notice the lovely restored red bricked custom house/old mercantile marine office upriver of the block... its to back of this old building / yard they stuck on the telly tubbies set.....
samuel j

Postby Praxiteles » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:36 pm

Well now, that is very interesting. Madame Manageress, the town architect (to date) Denis Deasey and the efficient Town Clerk, P. Lynch do not live in Cobh and hence only have to deal with consequences of their enlightened decisions on a Monday to Friday, 9-5 (if even that) basis. In what leafey galdes, might we enquire, do these devoted servants of civil society live?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:40 pm

samuel j wrote:Did you notice the lovely restored red bricked custom house/old mercantile marine office upriver of the block... its to back of this old building / yard they stuck on the telly tubbies set.....

Yes I did. And, if I am not mistaken the ugly square box even manages to project itself above the roofline of the houses to intrude on the vista of the waterfront houses. Just what kind of eejits operate tha Cobh Urban District Council?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby kite » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:00 am

Praxiteles wrote:Well now, that is very interesting. Madame Manageress, the town architect (to date) Denis Deasey and the efficient Town Clerk, P. Lynch do not live in Cobh and hence only have to deal with consequences of their enlightened decisions on a Monday to Friday, 9-5 (if even that) basis. In what leafey galdes, might we enquire, do these devoted servants of civil society live?

:o deja vu...we have the same problem in the city in that the city of culture directors 2005 live in;
Joe Gavin, Dunraven, Blackrock, Cork.
Deirdre Clune, Blackrock Road, Cork.
Joe Kennelly, Bridgestown, Inniscarra, Co.Cork.
Theo Dorgan, Baldoyle, Dublin.
Liz Meaney, Ros Barra, Friars Walk, Cork

None of these geniuses live within a scud missile strike of Victoria Mills.
How has D. Clune the neck to canvass the area? (oh yea, she is part of the brass neck Barry clan):rolleyes:
kite

Postby Praxiteles » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:16 am

Kite!

Do you think that it would be a good idea to introduce a law requiring public "servants" such as (over) populate the local government apparatus to live within the jurisdiction of the local authority they "serve"?

If nothing else, it might go some way towards ensuring a more equitable distribution of the kind of intelligence and brain power only seen among the apparicks of the local councils!!
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby corcaighboy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:40 am

Those photos by Alan are excellent and serve to show just how stunning Cobh can look from the sea. The place has a great architectural heritage what with the Cathedral, the 'deck of cards' houses on the hill, and the Crescent (modelled on the famous one in Bath I believe). Alas, we have had some turkeys in more recent times. Whatever about the Garda show boat, at least there was some thought put into it. The same cannot be said for those 'slum to be' apartments.
The old US consular building looks well. Does anyone know what is it being used for these days?
corcaighboy

Postby samuel j » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:13 am

us consul building - ground floor cobh town council ex cobh udc and top floor is a ladies gym both only tenants. building was gaelschoil for some years, then derelict until local cornerstone construction bought it, renovated and rented to the above. meanwhile old udc building aka the town clock remains empty....went for auction but failed to make reserve. now idle for over a year while council decide .....
samuel j

Postby samuel j » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:14 am

corcaighboy wrote: The same cannot be said for those 'slum to be' apartments.

yeap......
samuel j

Postby kite » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:18 am

Praxiteles wrote:Kite!

Do you think that it would be a good idea to introduce a law requiring public "servants" such as (over) populate the local government apparatus to live within the jurisdiction of the local authority they "serve"?

If nothing else, it might go some way towards ensuring a more equitable distribution of the kind of intelligence and brain power only seen among the apparicks of the local councils!!

:D Based on the belief that people are less likely to s**t on their own doorstep, my answer would have to be yes.
kite

Postby Praxiteles » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:27 pm

corcaighboy wrote:Those photos by Alan are excellent and serve to show just how stunning Cobh can look from the sea. The place has a great architectural heritage what with the Cathedral, the 'deck of cards' houses on the hill, and the Crescent (modelled on the famous one in Bath I believe). Alas, we have had some turkeys in more recent times. Whatever about the Garda show boat, at least there was some thought put into it. The same cannot be said for those 'slum to be' apartments.
The old US consular building looks well. Does anyone know what is it being used for these days?

CB!

Here is a picture, again courtesy of Alan, showing the full sweep of the Crescent in Cobh:
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby kite » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:36 am

corcaighboy wrote:Those photos by Alan are excellent and serve to show just how stunning Cobh can look from the sea. The place has a great architectural heritage what with the Cathedral, the 'deck of cards' houses on the hill, and the Crescent (modelled on the famous one in Bath I believe). Alas, we have had some turkeys in more recent times. Whatever about the Garda show boat, at least there was some thought put into it. The same cannot be said for those 'slum to be' apartments.

Alan’s photographs are excellent, I lived in Bath, Avon for a few years..what a gem of a city. Cobh has the potential to surpass Bath if proper planning is observed.
Imagine some quack suggesting raping the integrity of Bath Abbey??:eek: He would not pass go, he would not collect 200 euro, he would be sent straight to the gallows (after been flogged in the streets) :D
kite

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland