The O'Regan family of stonemasons originated from the Doneraile area in
northeast Cork. Today their descendants are scattered around the world. Most
of them can trace their family roots to a small stone cottage in Carkerbeg
townland, Parish of Doneraile, Barony of Fermoy, built by the stonemason
family in the 1700s. It is on the north side of the main
Kildorrery-Doneraile Road, about one-third of a mile east of the Labbavacon
bridge. Stonemason Regans were also located in two adjacent townlands, Park
North and Park South. The Regans were Catholics who attended the Chapel at
Shanballymore, about two and a half miles from the cottage.
Four brothers settled near Watergrasshill, about 10 miles northeast of Cork City. They did the masonry
work on the Killaspugmullane Church of Ireland on the town's main street. It
was built in 1838 by Henry Brasier-Mitchell, late of Creagh Castle. He had
changed his name from Creagh to the maiden name of his wife to preserve the
estate of Mitchell's Fort, near Watergrasshill. The brothers also built the
long stone wall that runs through the main street of the town of Glenville,
five miles west of Watergrasshill. They were Jeremiah, Maurice, Denis, and
Michael. They may have been accompanied by another brother, Daniel.
Thanks for any info.
- Reg Volk
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:09 pm
- Old Master
- Posts: 6036
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:02 pm