Developments in Cork

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby Numpticis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Good news is that Howard Holdings have gotten their further information response in eventually (it did take 8 months!) for Atlantic Quarter in Docklands, but at least it looks like they have the will to continue despite the "downturn". The council havent made them readvertise so there mustn't be major changes from the original application. Here's hoping for a good decision. God knows we need some good news here!
Numpticis

Postby Steady » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:17 pm

lawyer wrote:Is the absense of news (by those on the inside) on the Cork threads due to the fact that:
a) nothing is happening in Cork.
b) that the contributors are no longer with us
c) that since all Cork threads were put under one general heading, contributions did seem to slow down very much,

Well, yes, things are very quiet on the forum alright. Obviously a reflection of the situation in the industry really. Architectural firms are being devestated in terms of layoffs...some of us have been in the carnage first hand. So, a good time to reflect back on the last 10 years (say).

The so-called Celtic Tiger. Lots of development done. Lots of money spent and earned. It seemed like the good times could never end. Right now it seems like it was more like a crazy party that got out of hand and went on until long after the party-goers could afford. What a hangover!

So, where did it all go wrong? Lessons learned? Dublins Docklands, great development or incestuous insider shenanigans? Cork Docklands - pipe dream at this stage? Delusional? Anglo-Irish Bank, go-getter can-do achievers or bunch of lying cheating spivs in pin-stripe suits who couldn't believe what they were getting away with? Developers, drivers of growth in the Irish economy, doers (not whingers), patrons of the arts (e.g. Howard Holdings+Sculpture Factory), providers of much needed homes to Irish families in Westmeath, or boorish profit-obsessed immature competitive juveniles of vulgar tastes?

The results of the developments? Lasting beauty or blots on the landscape? Maybe there are no architects left out there to even reflect on these things...gone away, nobody knows where.

We all followed the money, that's what business is about. And more money is better than enough money. This is the rule of the "market" . The Market will decide. Has decided.

Lessons learned?
Steady

Postby lawyer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Cheer up.
Things will get better.
lawyer

Postby Jim Comic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:19 pm

anyone know who the auctioneers dealing with the sale of the woodford bar building on paul street/daunt square are?
Jim Comic

Postby rockcastle » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Jim Comic wrote:anyone know who the auctioneers dealing with the sale of the woodford bar building on paul street/daunt square are?

Lisney 4275079
rockcastle

Postby Pug » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:54 pm

think O FLynns were granted conditional planning for something like 1200 houses and apts at their site at Dunkettle. It was to provide those residential units but also some office, retail units, refurb Dunkettle House, garden centre, creche, site for future school, games areas, play areas and community centre.

I suppose the first question is will people buy and mainly, how do they expect the traffic to cope? I can see this going off to Bord Pleanala again.
Pug

Postby jungle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:51 am

The development is over 10 years, so, with luck, the market will have recovered by then.

It's also tied in with the reopening of Dunkettle railway station, which should allay some traffic concerns.

My big question is exactly where these houses are to be built. There's reference to retaining some of the Dunkettle House grounds as parkland as a local amenity.Hopefully that will be the land between the house and the harbour so that the view up the hill to the house will be retained.
jungle

Postby Pug » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:49 pm

checkout google maps, i think its the parcel of land in between dunkettle interchange to the south, the N8 to Dublin would be the border to the east and the old glanmire road to the west.

I havent seen the conditions but I dont think any of the houses should be built until the transport infrastructure is in place.
Pug

Postby jungle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Pug wrote:I havent seen the conditions but I dont think any of the houses should be built until the transport infrastructure is in place.

Indeed.

I have a feeling a lot of the hassle in this country over the last 10 years could have been avoided if we'd stuck to doing things in the right order.

AFAIK Of the planned stations on existing lines, only Kilbarry has actually gone for planning permission.

There's not a huge amount of pressure to build Monard or Ballynoe, but we should have seen more progress on Blarney and Dunkettle by now.
jungle

Postby jungle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Sorry, I'm wrong on that

Two planning applications on Dunkettle

http://213.94.218.86/planningenquiryv3/PlanningAppDetails.aspx?fullFileNumber=18a-085083
http://213.94.218.86/planningenquiryv3/PlanningAppDetails.aspx?fullFileNumber=18a-085913

Although the second is effectively an update of the first, which was rejected for being incomplete.

Still nothing on Blarney though.
jungle

Postby Pug » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:38 am

remember now, this is from the government that is single handedly holding up the north Docklands by reneging on its promise to provide 21m to redevelop the barn that is Kent station, instead it got a lick of paint

1200 houses and apartments have been approved by Bord Pleanala for Blarney, cant remember the developer, there was 3 phases asked for and the last 2 were refused. I was surprised Bord Pleanala gave the nod for the land but they put in conditions like, a) only enough houses to be built now that the existing sewage infrastructure can take b) no other houses to be built until the the new waste treatment plant is built by Cork Co Council, c) no houses to be built until railway station is complete.

On a different matter, Lord knows they deserve all the slagging they get for some of the planning decisions they make and schemes that they half administer on a random basis (affordable housing prices now being more expensive than buying a house yourself), but credit where its due, i came down the grand parade on the library side today towards the tax office, that new boardwalk makes a great difference to the street, very open and bright, fair play
Pug

Postby rob mc » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:05 pm

OUTLINE plans for a Silicon Valley-style innovation and research campus on the outskirts of Cork city will go on display next week.

People have been invited to comment on and help shape the development of the country’s first science park which has the potential to create up to 6,000 jobs.

The Cork Science and Innovation Park, which analysts say will contribute about e450 million annually to the local economy, will be built on a 150-acre site at Curraheen.

County manager Martin Riordan has described it as a "defining project for Cork".

However, before work can start, there must be a variation to the Carrigaline electoral area plan, which governs the site, and a subsequent variation to the County Development Plan 2009 which was adopted recently.

Irish Examiner
rob mc

Postby who_me » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Sounds great rob mc; but is there money for this? And is there demand? Or is it just another pipe dream?
who_me

Postby Pug » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:51 pm

just back from work in lisbon, what a city full of fab buildings, it absolutely puts cork to shame, we are about 30 years behind. I couldnt help think of the buildings over there versus victoria cross here. I'll grant that lisbon is a capital city with more money available than us as a second city but the comparison is that both cities are at the end of rivers flowing into a harbour. Some poor dated blocks there of course but overall, Cork is very poor compared to it I think. And the train stations? fabulous buildings that make you lament Kent stations existence, why in the name of construction was Martin Cullen allowed be in charge of transport. I think we need more "European" feel for Cork, surely a cork native with extensive travel and overseas experience could be in charge of designs here with different architects used for various buildings. It was just depressing to think of the blocks Origin want to build in the docklands, the city council were right to ask them for Further Info to build better buildings. COuldnt the planners have just done many design competitions and just told the developers that this is what they wanted built there? I dont know, maybe I got a touch of the summer sun there but I think we are very poor compared to the overall look there.
Pug

Postby rob mc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 pm

who_me wrote:Sounds great rob mc; but is there money for this? And is there demand? Or is it just another pipe dream?

Another post-recession project id say, but you never know i mean there throwing out ambitious projects like this every second week, but it just seems the funds aren't there
rob mc

Postby Radioactiveman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Has the recent budget had any effect on plans for the river crossing from Tivoli to Pair Ui Caoimh ? I couldn't find any direct reference to it. Although, the Minister did announce the Kilbarry station on the Cork-Mallow line is being delayed.
Radioactiveman

Postby Pug » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 am

they didnt say that the tivoli brudge would be affected, because i think that bridge wasnt in the government funds remit anyway, an application for EU funding is winding its way through govt departments and the EU

Noel Dempsey has had the absolute unbelievable neck to say the Kilbarry station will be delayed because the proposed housing development in Blarney was delayed. However, the Blarney development is delayed because Bord Pleanala only gave permission in the last few months for about one third of the original plan to go ahead becuase the services infrastructure isnt in place (i.e. Cork COunty Council are dragging their heels again).

Imagine the Minister for Transport, publicly admitting, that the government policy, is to build transport infrastructure, only when all the houses have been built, are these guys for real? How many more times must the bleeding obvious be pointed out to them that if grants of permission for up to 2500 houses are going to be made, then the infrastructure has to be put in with it, beforehand. Noel is hoping the developer is in trouble, wont build the houses and then he wont have to shell out for a station or at least wont have to build it for a few years. So why doesnt he just come out and say that? Idiot.

So you have the minister for transport delaying a station for commuters because he says the housing development is delayed but you have Bord Pleanala saying the development cant go ahead until the station is built.

THe government are spectacular idiots.
Pug

Postby jungle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 am

Kilbarry has nothing to do with Blarney anyway.

The number of journeys between Blarney and Kilbarry on the line would be trivial and there's no cost savings to be made by building the two at the same time.

I wonder how much was paid in development levies by all the new developments that went up in Blackpool?
jungle

Postby Sin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Government wasnt invented to work. It was invented for cleptocratic purposes. You are expecting entirely too much from them.

You mean the guy in charge let THAT happen?

Somebody call Cristo to wrap it up.
Sin

Postby Brian O Brien » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am

Anybody seen the job done on the Old school of music on Wellington Road, beautiful mix of old & new, McNamara's have definitely done the area a service by restoring the old building especially since it is empty & may be for some time with all of the office space around at the moment.
Brian O Brien

Postby bunch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 pm

one of the nicer schemes in the city centre in my opinion, highly contemporary but sensitive insertion into the streetscape. also, one of the few good attempts at inserting a new building into the inner northern ridge - when viewed from city centre it reads particularly well. pity STW didnt take a similar approach on ucc's IT building and the Sullivan's Quay scheme.
bunch

Postby MrX » Sun May 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Wow! This thread is confusing.

Now that we have a Cork Forum, is there any chance people could post new threads on each development, project, or topic ?

It's almost impossible to find anything in this enormous mega thread.

Perhaps it should now be closed and locked?
MrX

Postby jungle » Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am

Deleted post

Wrong thread
jungle

Postby Pug » Fri May 22, 2009 11:39 am

not sure what thread this would go under apart from Developments in Cork, so just FYI, SDR Developments were given the nod from Bord Pleanala for a mixed office/retail scheme in the vacant site on the South Link Rd in behind OB Heating. Think it will be 5 storeys of about 9000 sqm.
Pug

Postby Angry Rebel » Fri May 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Big news day today by the standards of the last few months

- permission granted w/o Bord Pleanala involvement on Atlantic Quarter (whether they break ground on it this year remains to be seen - expect they'll tuck away the grant of permission and wait for sunnier days)
- O'Callaghan applying for permission (change of use from c.100 apartments I think) to build a private hospital on his Jurys Hotel site on Western Road
- Howard applied for permission on the old Cork Warehouse site on the quay
- SDR - as above
Angry Rebel

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland