Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Postby Maskhadov » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:35 pm

all looks a bit low rise and run of the mill stuff.
Maskhadov

Postby bunch » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:10 am

the victoria cross jibes are getting a bit tiring and hysterical. anyone agree?

please feel free to mention other buildings in the city people feel are worthy of criticism? there are plenty of examples.
bunch

Postby rebel_city » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Fair point - but we have to keep up our opinions so that buildings like Vic.Mills never become a reality again! They've won awards but in my opinon - what an utter disgrace and embarrassment to the city-scape!:mad:
rebel_city

Postby damnedarchitect » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Are the 'Eglinton st' development and 'the Elysian' the same project?!
damnedarchitect

Postby Dieter » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:34 am

rebel_city wrote:Fair point - but we have to keep up our opinions so that buildings like Vic.Mills never become a reality again! They've won awards but in my opinon - what an utter disgrace and embarrassment to the city-scape!:mad:

The fact that you don't like Tynan's design does not make it bad architecture. What is truly "embarrassing" is to read subjective ranting on a site that is supposed to be for serious architectural criticism. I am not surprised that you find it an effort to "keep it up".
Dieter

Postby kite » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:32 am

Dieter wrote:The fact that you don't like Tynan's design does not make it bad architecture. What is truly "embarrassing" is to read subjective ranting on a site that is supposed to be for serious architectural criticism. I am not surprised that you find it an effort to "keep it up".

I agree with rebel_city, but if others want to take the “see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil” approach to the utter rubbish that is Tynan's & Montgomery’s Victoria Mills so be it.
Maybe you would care to nominate this pile of vile junk for another award Dieter?,most would prefer to set VM alight to rid the city of this embarrassment. :mad:
kite

Postby jdivision » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Dieter wrote:The fact that you don't like Tynan's design does not make it bad architecture. What is truly "embarrassing" is to read subjective ranting on a site that is supposed to be for serious architectural criticism. I am not surprised that you find it an effort to "keep it up".

I think discussion of the aesthetic of a building is part of serious architectural criticism. The majority of people will only ever see the exterior of a building and therefore the impact of the exterior is extremely important. I'd be interested to know if the bank that financed the scheme were behind the awards. I was in Cork at the weekend and was very surprised by the blandness of almost every new building.
jdivision

Postby jdivision » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:08 pm

I think discussion of the aesthetic of a building is part of serious architectural criticism. If you look at the majority of buildings that win awards, it's the memorable exterior that does it: the Swiss Re tower etc. The majority of people will only ever see the exterior of a building and therefore the impact of the exterior is extremely important. I'd be interested to know if the bank that financed the scheme were behind the awards.
jdivision

Postby Spinal Tap » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:45 pm

damnedarchitect wrote:Are the 'Eglinton st' development and 'the Elysian' the same project?!

Yes its the same project and The Elysian is a great name unless you are unfortunate to have a lisp !:)
Spinal Tap

Postby rebel_city » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:09 pm

This site is for architects AND anyone with an opinion. I may not be an architect but I am quite capable of judging what I feel to be an attractive building or not. I don't look at a building like Victoria Mills and say "Hmm...doesn't look nice, looks quite old fashioned, but era it's probably really environmentally friendly and the ecustics must be amaaaazing!"

You've a fair point, but I'm entitled to mine - I respect your opinion but I really do think that VIc Mills "flats" are embarassing and bland.

(Excuse me for continuing a conversation which is not directly related to the Eglington St. development!)
rebel_city

Postby A-ha » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:18 am

Is there going to be any viewing deck or something along those lines in the building? Would be great if they had an area open to the public.
A-ha

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Just looking at that panorama of the Corconian skyline, what's going to happen to those sheds/warehouses between the apartments around the Elysian Tower and the Lee? Are they being rebuilt as well, or are they going to be just done up like those dockland warehouses in CHQ.
Cathal Dunne

Postby phatman » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:50 am

Cathal Dunne wrote:Just looking at that panorama of the Corconian skyline, what's going to happen to those sheds/warehouses between the apartments around the Elysian Tower and the Lee? Are they being rebuilt as well, or are they going to be just done up like those dockland warehouses in CHQ.

Those warehouses went up for sale seperately back along, and do not form part of this development. It is my understanding that Howard Holdings purchased aprt of the site, I could be wrong, and O' Callaghan Properties the rest? It was mentioned way back in the Look at the state of Cork like thread. In any case, I would be quite sure they would be completely redeveloped.
phatman

Postby Cathal Dunne » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:41 pm

I was looking at that especially because they slot really nicely into the whole rebuild. Perhaps what they could do is just flatten everything there and build it up to a 10-15 storey range. It would be good to have another tower about the same size as the Eglinton St biulding (or higher!:) down that end as a contrast and counterpoint. Plus, the tower being beside the river could act as a sort of gatehouse to the whole rebuild. Maybe that's they should name it that, the gatehouse!:)
Cathal Dunne

Postby ake » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:32 pm

Oh my God tell me they are not going to put that illuminous green cheap plastic shite all the way up the tower! Why is that horrible crap popping up all over the place?! It's the single ugliest building material I have ever seen anywhere in my life. It should be banned. Can we actually not afford a nice polished granite or sandstone in this country overflowing with money
ake

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:13 pm

Now that the shaft is up I cannot help but be concerned at the impact this development overall will have on City Hall
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:14 pm

Now you see it
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:15 pm

Now you don't
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:17 pm

So the tower will pretty much be visible from all angles City Hall is viewed from, what about the "low-rise" parts of the development?
d_d_dallas

Postby THE_Chris » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am

Im glad this is going in. Irish cities need more high rise. Its the only way forward rather than the disturbing urban sprawl thats going on at the moment.
THE_Chris

Postby d_d_dallas » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:29 am

This tower is a design feature of the overall development and not a solution to sprawl. The tower could've been moved to the South Eastern corner of the site which would have greatly reduced the impact on the up-til-now unspoiled vista of City Hall. Only downside, no "gateway" view coming in the southlink.
d_d_dallas

Postby goldiefish » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:10 am

The south eastern corner is no more that 20m away from its current location. I doubt the difference would make that much of an impact.

Remember, people thought the eiffel tower was an eyesore.
goldiefish

Postby who_me » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:33 am

d_d_dallas wrote:This tower is a design feature of the overall development and not a solution to sprawl. The tower could've been moved to the South Eastern corner of the site which would have greatly reduced the impact on the up-til-now unspoiled vista of City Hall. Only downside, no "gateway" view coming in the southlink.

If I'm not mistaken, you can only see the tower for the last couple of hundred metres of the link anyway, it's not like you can see it ahead all the way in.
who_me

Postby who_me » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:35 am

To be honest, once it (and presumably, other towers in the South Docklands area) go up, I think they'll provide a nice backdrop to City Hall.
who_me

Postby A-ha » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 am

I like how it's visible when you're driving towards the city from the airport. It should look really cool once the spire is on it and it's all lit up (80 meters I believe when fully completed).
A-ha

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland