Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Postby kite » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:39 pm

lawyer wrote:I think these are the buildings on Albert Quay/Albert Street.
Suttons had a coal store there.There also was a fast fit exhaust business there up to a few years ago.

:)Thanks for clearing that issue.
kite

Postby opus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Took a picture of the tower part today, hard to know close to completion it is. The other parts of the block are still only being built.

The website hasn't been updated since last Nov as far as I can see & even then it was just some spin about interior designers.
opus

Postby cubix » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:08 pm

lookin good,spire should go up soon.
cubix

Postby malec » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 pm

cubix wrote:lookin good,.

on this side but view it from the other side and :o
malec

Postby malec » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:03 pm

Sorry but I'm really starting to not like this tower. I thought this was supposed to be a landmark building, however is a massive eyesore as seen in the picture below. From this side it looks particularly bad:

I really expected a lot more from this, and now they've stuck that white cheap-looking this on top. Wasn't that supposed to be a penthouse?
The county hall with the new cladding looks much better IMO, especially at night. The problem with this one is not the shape but the cheap materials.

Sorry for the rant.
malec

Postby cubix » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:01 pm

So looks like the first and last high rise to be built in cork,whats the general consensus down there?personally I think its ok,,maybe a bit stumpy.The pic above makes it look very gaunt,hopefully when its completely finished with the spire and all it will be a improvement.
cubix

Postby kite » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:00 pm

What was the outcome of the High-Court case last month between OFC and Howard Holdings regarding the access issues to the tower?
kite

Postby jungle » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:56 pm

cubix wrote:So looks like the first and last high rise to be built in cork,whats the general consensus down there?personally I think its ok,,maybe a bit stumpy.The pic above makes it look very gaunt,hopefully when its completely finished with the spire and all it will be a improvement.

I tend to agree with the stumpy comment. It could either do with being 5 storeys lower so that it isn't so out of scale to surrounding buildings or it could be 5 storeys higher so that it would appear more slender. As is, it looks like a compromise height that neither suits the buildings or the surroundings.
jungle

Postby opus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Got sent a survey by the estate agents today about the development, guess the falling property prices are starting to worry them so they are trying to gauge market interest. These were the price ranges they were suggesting although I'm not sure why anyone would pick anything but the lowest one! Perhaps they hope there are some stupid people out there :)

Full survey is [url]http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=H3_2bv4oln7aBoIo8GtgyJhA_3d_3d]here[/url] if anyone is interested.
opus

Postby Spinal Tap » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:59 am

cubix wrote:So looks like the first and last high rise to be built in cork,whats the general consensus down there?personally I think its ok,,maybe a bit stumpy.The pic above makes it look very gaunt,hopefully when its completely finished with the spire and all it will be a improvement.

Well you also have the 17 storey Co.Hall.

OCP re planning 32 stories down at Mahon Point.

There is another proposal at Blackpool for 35 stories AFAIK.

There are a few more high rise planned for the docklands + 2 more at least on the North side of the river on the drawing board !

IMO the cladding on the Elysian is a missed opportunity - awful.
Spinal Tap

Postby who_me » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:09 pm

The appearance does seem to have changes slightly from the original mock-ups - and for the worst. The gray cladding is pretty horrible; the tower looks good from the South and West, horrible to the North and (especially) East.

I think the expectation was for 4 towers of around 20 stories in the South Docklands, plus myriad others of slightly lesser heights, in which case it's probably around the right height. Of course, if the Docklands development does stall (er... never start?) then the Elysian will continue to stick out a bit.
who_me

Postby kite » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:03 pm

who_me wrote:The appearance does seem to have changes slightly from the original mock-ups - and for the worst. The gray cladding is pretty horrible; the tower looks good from the South and West, horrible to the North and (especially) East.

I think the expectation was for 4 towers of around 20 stories in the South Docklands, plus myriad others of slightly lesser heights, in which case it's probably around the right height. Of course, if the Docklands development does stall (er... never start?) then the Elysian will continue to stick out a bit.

:rolleyes:The way our “lets play at being Councillors” local reps have messed up the only towers in the Docklands next year will be attached to Dolly Parton.
kite

Postby Leesider » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:17 pm

what is that manky white thing on top of the tower now? Didn't notice that on the original renders.
Leesider

Postby BTH » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 am

Wow, how many different facade treatments can you fit on a single tower? A LOT by the looks of it... They have ruined what could have been a reasonably elegant building. Same thing happened to the "stump" in Athlone - a couple of different glazing systems and acres of cheap white cladding... It's a total eyesore. Then they put a "spire" on top that is basically a stump on top of a stump! Really, the only way these medium to high rise buildings work is by keeping them really simple and elemental in terms of shape and proportions - Just like county hall in Cork. Of course it's beauty is in the details when you get up close but from a distance its just a really elegant prism.
BTH

Postby AndrewP » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:54 pm

God, this is hideous. Simultaneously too tall for its surroundings and not tall enough for its girth; drab and bland from a distance, yet horribly cluttered-looking up close. Now I know why those people in the posters were holding their hands to their mouths...
AndrewP

Re: Eglinton Street To Get The Go Ahead!

Postby kite » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:22 pm

lexington wrote::D One of the most exciting developments put before Cork city in many years is to be greenlit come Thursday 7th July 2005. Though the notion has been somewhat of an open secret these past few weeks, a source with Cork City Council has declared that the proposal by O'Flynn Construction will be granted subject to approx. 20 conditions [?] after Senior Planner Ronnie McDowell signs his name this Thursday. Details of these conditions will be made clear here either tomorrow evening or Thursday evening latest.

The project was originally lodged for the 3 acre, former An Post Sorting Office site, last October 8th 2004. Further Information was requested on the development on November 1st 2004, following a questionable planning authority handling of the application. The first request was responded to on December 23rd 2005 and a due date was set for Feburary 23rd 2005 - however, trouble was encountered with the application in the hands of planner Evelyn Mitchell when it seemed as though CCC were only willing to grant permission for the project subject to a near 50% reduction of the 550 basement parking spaces proposed. Other issues that proved a sticking point included light reflection of the tower and the height surrounding block parapets. Additional Further Information was requested and Senior Planner Ronnie McDowell took over handling of the application.

Where the original Wilson Architecture designed project comprised of 217 apartments over blocks ranging in height from 6 to 8 storeys, w/ a 17-storey landmark tower (70m) in the southwest corner of the site (facing the South City Link Road), 550 basement parking spaces over 2 decks, 7 own-door office units and 5 large bulk-goods retail units - the revised application submitted in response to the Additional Further Information, received on the 13th of May 2005 - altered the plans so that block heights of the parameter buildings reduced to 6-storeys with a set-back level, rearranged building layouts (providing a new 'pod' building in Northern end of the site) and new glazing features for the landmark tower (which otherwise remained untouched). CCC concluded that for such residential developments as Eglinton Street, parking spaces as proposed would be generally acceptable given that apartment sizes were generally designed to accommodate long-term residencies (some 3-bedroom apartments extending to 1,900sq ft) and that reductions in space provision would clutter surrounding, heavily trafficked streets with unwelcome additions using the retail, office and residential facilities of the development. The revised application in fact, actually allowed for an increase in apartment unit numbers from 217 to 226.

Only 1 objection was lodged in response to revised plans - that of a nearby resident Cait Ui Connail, who cites that the development will affect her light and bring unwelcome traffic from persons utilising the retail facilities. The developers have noted in response that among the reasons for such a large basement parking provision was to address such traffic concerns and that the tower overshadowing had been well studied and assessed, concluding that it did not affect nearby residency light given its design, shape and location in the site.

Should this prove to be the final planning step for OFC with regards Eglinton Street. Construction is scheduled to start in early 2006.

Image Image Image
Note: Apologises for the colouration in the bottom 3 images - but its consequent of light penetration during the image scans.

[Fingers crossed the conditions aren't a repeat of that other highrise project that was conditioned to oblivion.]

:oI think the time may be apt to remind ourselves how we were all looking forward to what was to be the first true “high-rise” development in Cork in 30 years!! (Lex circa 2005)
Where and when did it all go wrong??
kite

Postby Leesider » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Needs to be another 10 stories higher, the white thing on top is terrible in reality and in the renders you never see the angle from the photo above. Will reserve full judgement until fully completed but not looking good!
Leesider

Postby malec » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 am

It went wrong when they decided to build it on the cheap. The cladding is crap that's why.
malec

Postby Spinal Tap » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:10 am

malec wrote:It went wrong when they decided to build it on the cheap. The cladding is crap that's why.

See OFC's No.5 Lapps Quay for rubbish cladding systems and bizarre colours.

Anything to save money and an opportunity lost.
Spinal Tap

Postby AndrewP » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:10 am

The bulk of the surrounding buildings also means the tower barely manages to poke its head out in many of the images shown
AndrewP

Postby Citybythelee » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:59 am

I'd like to concur with some of the other posters. It is starting to look hideous. I was expecting the windows to be like a sheet without window frames (I know I'm not putting it correctly) but instead it looks like the framed windows on the County Hall. Not good. And as for the cladding - yuck !
Citybythelee

Postby opus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:42 pm

I was looking at the website for the Elysian this evening & it's got some kind of count down timer running on there. Not sure what it means though as it currently says "1 month 37 days 14 hours!"
opus

Postby cubix » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:12 am

Can only presume its for when the development is fully complete,tower looks relatively good in that video presentation,goes to show how different these graphics can be,has anyone got up to date construction pics...
cubix

Postby Cathal Dunne » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:20 pm

opus wrote:I was looking at the website for the Elysian this evening & it's got some kind of count down timer running on there. Not sure what it means though as it currently says "1 month 37 days 14 hours!"

:confused: Is there an extra-long month ahead that we haven't been informed about?

I better edit my calendar. A few Post-Its should be enough.
Cathal Dunne

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:53 pm

ok, so the tower is basically complete. impact on city hall is too great.
d_d_dallas

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland