Cork Transport

Re: Cork Transport

Postby samuel j » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:14 pm

jungle wrote:The principal reason it's not used is because it's too short for the main airlines at the airport. Only Aer Arann and Air SouthWest can use it. For prevailing winds, a North-South runway and an East-West runway are much of a muchness.

What's crucial with the short runway is that it's easily extendable to a considerable length, when the long runway can only really have a maximum of 400 feet or so added because of the fall off of the hill on either side.

When Aer Lingus used to run the Short 360s can recall landing on the East-west one many times coming in from the east. True its too small for most of the current craft.

Prevailing winds..... I would have thought they would but I stand corrected. Do know that even with the current north-south one, the pilots hate it in strong South Westerlies as they have to crab in her so to speak.

If they sell off any of it , just madness... closes their options... as at least even in crosswinds the larger/heavier craft are easier to handle and presumably its larger craft they should be cater for in the future.
samuel j

Postby PTB » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Is 400 feet enough to cater for the larger aircraft?
PTB

Postby jungle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:31 pm

To give you an idea, Cork's current runway is about 1,500 feet shorter than Dublin and 3,500 shorter than Shannon. Dublin's runway length poses some problems for services to the Far East. The main thing a 400ft extension would do is allow larger aircraft to be used to the East Coast of the USA (which is by far the most likely long-haul destination). It certainly wouldn't allow an unlimited range of aircraft or destinations.
jungle

Postby who_me » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:41 pm

747s have landed in Cork - though admittedly the only one I've seen there is the short-body variant - I don't know if that has substantially different take off & landing characteristics to the long-body versions.
who_me

Postby jungle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:48 pm

It's not so much whether a plane can take off and land (AFAIK the only one that can't is an A380), it's what you can have on it. You can certainly get 747s out of Cork. They've been used for rugby charters before and there was a KLM one ended up in Cork after a mid-Atlantic emergency.

The problem is that to get a 747 off the runway in Cork, you need to lose passengers, freight or fuel. If you take one of the first two off, you lose revenue. If you take the last off, you restrict your range.

The largest aircraft that can currently fly completely unrestricted from Cork is a 767-200. The A330-200 can take off from Cork with a full compliment of passengers and freight and enough fuel to get to the East Coast of the USA. Extending the runway would probably allow larger variants of the 767 and A330 (and presumably, the future 787 and A350) to use Cork Airport with fewer restrictions. It's not really worth worrying about aircraft that are bigger than that anyway,
jungle

Postby kite » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:58 pm

jungle wrote:It's not so much whether a plane can take off and land (AFAIK the only one that can't is an A380), it's what you can have on it. You can certainly get 747s out of Cork. They've been used for rugby charters before and there was a KLM one ended up in Cork after a mid-Atlantic emergency.

The problem is that to get a 747 off the runway in Cork, you need to lose passengers, freight or fuel. If you take one of the first two off, you lose revenue. If you take the last off, you restrict your range.

The largest aircraft that can currently fly completely unrestricted from Cork is a 767-200. The A330-200 can take off from Cork with a full compliment of passengers and freight and enough fuel to get to the East Coast of the USA. Extending the runway would probably allow larger variants of the 767 and A330 (and presumably, the future 787 and A350) to use Cork Airport with fewer restrictions. It's not really worth worrying about aircraft that are bigger than that anyway,

Yes, i remember that KLM 747 landing.
The passengers continued on their flight in the 747 with the minimum of fuel and their luggage following on in another plane.
One day rugby charters carry little weight, but i would rather fly on one of the Short 360 with their "deckchair seats" mentioned in a previous post than chance running out of runway in a 747 on "Cork International Airport's" runway.:eek:
:rolleyes: Selling the 40 arces to one of their buddies would be what one would expect of the CAA, let's wait and see!!
kite

Postby PTB » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:37 pm

jungle wrote:The problem is that to get a 747 off the runway in Cork, you need to lose passengers, freight or fuel. If you take one of the first two off, you lose revenue. If you take the last off, you restrict your range

I suppose that that means that you could land a fuel-depleted 747 on a transatlantic flight but not fly it back.

I'm sure a Quantas 747 landed about two or so years back. Some form of a fact finding mission.
PTB

Postby Spinal Tap » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:55 pm

PTB wrote:I suppose that that means that you could land a fuel-depleted 747 on a transatlantic flight but not fly it back.

I'm sure a Quantas 747 landed about two or so years back. Some form of a fact finding mission.

Yes that was the one with the great colour job.
Hugh and surprisingly quiet.
Spinal Tap

Postby PTB » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:00 pm

I've seen them in large airports across the world and they don't actually seem that massive, but when it was next to the old terminal in Cork I'm sure it was huge.
PTB

Postby Pug » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:06 am

anyone from carrigaline area? did anyone see the recent public display on the Atkins Transport Study for Carrigaline that was on display for 4 hours one night last week? I'd be interested in anyones thoughts - there was some maps on the wall of the possible roads and that was about it - i tried to get a copy of the study to read it as its huge and was told it would cost €54 !! couldnt put it on a disc no? very poor set up i thought
Pug

Postby Torquemada » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:34 am

Hi All,Is it just me or is the general upkeep of hedging this summer gone way down?Im thinking especially of the midleton dual carriageway,south link,ballincollig by-pass (to a lesser extent).The general grubbiness associalted especially with the central medians nevermind the overgorwn grass and hedgerows really looks terrible and portrays the city and county in a very poor light.
Torquemada

Postby theblimp » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:15 pm

"Yes that was the one with the great colour job."

I remember driving around the back of the airport that day heading for Kinsale when I met a huge bunch of 'spotters'. I asked them what the deal was and they told me about the imminent arrival of the Quantas 747. I remembered something about this from the previous day's paper concerning the passengers onboard being from many of Oz's great vineyards on a promotional tour, so I asked the spotter was it the 'wine' one. Reply was "naw boy, 'tis all different colours". You couldn't make it up !
theblimp

Postby A-ha » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:13 pm

Ryanair announced two new daily flights from Cork to Glasgow and East Midlands from December 13th... Also we're to get a covered walkway at long last, work begins next month and should be completed by the end of the year...
A-ha

Postby Torquemada » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:40 am

Thanks A-ha!Do you have anymore information on the covered walkway?Where are how far exactly will it be?
Torquemada

Postby corkdood » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:26 am

Just spotted this on peoplesrepublicofcork - no source though

"32 new buses are being added to the fleet to service Cork City & Suburbs, and 6 of them will be double decker!"

If its true its good news. Perhaps some of them will be used on the new Ballincollig - Cork City town service due to begin in 2009. Good to see the double deckers coming back too - badly needed on busy routes like the number 5 and 8.
corkdood

Postby jungle » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:40 am

I don't know how much bus design has come on, but the old double-deckers used to have serious trouble with Cork's hills. They should be OK on the 5 and 8. Other routes like the 2,3 or 7 might be a bit challenging for them.
jungle

Postby Pug » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:13 am

corkdood wrote:Ju Good to see the double deckers coming back too - badly needed on busy routes like the number 5 and 8.

and the 6, the 7, the 222 and numerous others

still cant figure out why we couldnt have a fleet of the smaller IMP like buses, more frequency, must be less costly to run and you could drop off the frequency then on less peak times

think bus eireann will ever move from capwell? would be great site
Pug

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:40 am

I doubt it would be cheaper TBH, cos you need more drivers. And they're the expensive bit :(
THE_Chris

Postby Pug » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:44 am

THE_Chris wrote:And they're the expensive bit :(

you're prob right there
Pug

Postby Ebeck » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:49 pm

corkdood wrote:Just spotted this on peoplesrepublicofcork - no source though

"32 new buses are being added to the fleet to service Cork City & Suburbs, and 6 of them will be double decker!"

If its true its good news. Perhaps some of them will be used on the new Ballincollig - Cork City town service due to begin in 2009. Good to see the double deckers coming back too - badly needed on busy routes like the number 5 and 8.

Will these be second hand from our capital city I wonder? They got some brand new one recently didn't they? The graffiti will make interesting reading:)
Ebeck

Postby THE_Chris » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Crossposting this from the Cobh thread -

Commuter ferry service to set sail E-mail
Written by David Forsythe
Thursday, 18 October 2007
Details of a state-of-the-art catamaran ferry service that will link Cobh to the city centre in just half an hour will be announced shortly according to Cork City councillor Terry Shannon.

The Cork Harbour Cats service will operate three 250-seater catamarans that will whisk commuters from around Cork Harbour into the city centre, avoiding the traffic gridlock experienced daily during rush hour in the south east of the city.

According to Cllr Shannon the service will operate three brand-new catamarans costing €3 million each which will be able to operate in all weather conditions. On-board seating will be similar to that seen on airliners and the boats will include on-board coffee bars.

Daily services will be operated from Cobh, Aghada, Carrigaloe, Monkstown, Passage and Blackrock to the city centre and the company also plan to operate tourist services around Cork Harbour. The service, operated by a Cork-based consortium is expected to begin in 2010 and will create 45 jobs.

Cllr Shannon said, “The Council has already completed the feasibility study and talks involving the operator, City Council, County Council and Port of Cork are at an advanced stage. There are a few issues still to be ironed out but we hope to be able to make a detailed announcement in January”.

Cllr Shannon also confirmed that designs for the three proposed new bridges as part of the Docklands development will allow the catamarans to operate into the city centre without any problems.

http://www.corkindependent.com/local-news/local-news/commuter-ferry-service-to-set-sail/[
THE_Chris

Postby jungle » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Most of you will have probably heard this, but it may as well be logged here. According to last Sunday's SBP, the Midleton rail line will now not be opening til 2010.

Who's surprised by that...
jungle

Postby kite » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:46 pm

jungle wrote:Most of you will have probably heard this, but it may as well be logged here. According to last Sunday's SBP, the Midleton rail line will now not be opening til 2010.

Who's surprised by that...

Time to revert to Cork public transport plan "A"?
http://www.ilnpictures.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductDetailID=69233
kite

Postby theblimp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:27 am

With regard to the waterbus concept, while I think it's a wonderful idea, I feel that one of the biggest probs is going to be the speed restriction from Blackrock Castle in to the quays. Anyone who's every come up-river by boat will testify that it takes quite some time to complete that leg of the journey within the speed limit. I can't see the rowing clubs allowing a new waterbus service gaining a special dispensation here. Also remember that this speed limit is speed over water, NOT speed over ground. So while the limit is (I think) 5 knots, if you're up against a 3-knot tidal stream, you're only making good 2 knots over ground ...... casual walking pace :(
theblimp

Postby jungle » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:46 am

I've always felt a better use of a waterbus would be in the lower harbour area, linking Whitegate, Cobh, Monkstown and Ringaskiddy. If done properly it could integrate with the rail service in Cobh providing a good public transport option for people travelling into the city. Instead, in addition to the speed limits, they're looking at a route that will shadow the rail line and never be able to beat it for time.

Also, I note that news sites today are reporting that work has started on the Western Rail Corridor. Midleton suffers further delays. The moral of the story: Forget trying to build population densities along transport corridors, just throw your toys out of the pram; it's more effective.
jungle

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland