http://cork-spotters.com/photo/displ...e.php?pos=-289
rebel_city

Re: Cork Transport

Postby mickeydocs » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:17 pm

check out the new cork airport website: http://www.corkairport.com/index.asp
mickeydocs

Postby browser » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:31 pm

I was out at the airport over lunch. Seems very good though not everything was open. Obviously I couldn't see the "behind security" stuff in duty free areas either. In general the Terminal seemed a little smaller than I imagined but nonetheless a huge step up from the present Irish airport terminals.

I also just looked at the airport website. Again it is a huge improvement but it could be padded out. For instance, the link to info about short breaks gives a 3 line summary of the city and then links to about 5 attractions, including Mahon Point! (no offence but Mahon Point is like EVERY shopping centre everywhere in the world. Your average international traveller would hardly travel to see that). Worse still the link to the English Market is to a one page "directory listing" giving things like phone numbers, opening hours but no idea what the market actually is, no details of its history and no pictures. Hopefully this will be sorted out in time.

Finally, and on a slightly diff note, I see on the web site that there is no longer a Cork - Munich Aer Lingus route. Anyone any idea when this stopped and if there are other Aer Lingus destinations that have been ditched in recent times. You always hear of new routes opening but not about closures....
browser

Postby jungle » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:24 pm

browser wrote:Finally, and on a slightly diff note, I see on the web site that there is no longer a Cork - Munich Aer Lingus route. Anyone any idea when this stopped and if there are other Aer Lingus destinations that have been ditched in recent times. You always hear of new routes opening but not about closures....

Milan was ditched a while ago. Faro was off the Winter timetable, but came back for the summer. Nice stops at the end of next October, but again that may be a Winter/Summer thing.
jungle

Postby Micko » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Anyone know if the Motorway designation will be extended from Watergrasshill to the top of Glanmire.

The road is of equal quality as the stretch of Motorway presently being built, a centre divider has recently been put up and there is an optional route for L drivers and tractors to take.
Micko

Postby A-ha » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:34 pm

Not sure about the stretch to Glanmire.... I think it's just the Fermoy section, which I said yesterday wasn't opening until early 2007..... I read in the Echo today that it is opening in October 2006. As for the airport, it is absolutely stunning. Was out there today and the place is gleaming. I'll fly to London for the day in a few weeks to get a look at the Departures area. The new website is brilliant aswell. I'm so glad to see that manky old Aer Rianta website gone out the window. Hope a few new destinations are added sometime soon.
A-ha

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:09 pm

jungle wrote:Milan was ditched a while ago. Faro was off the Winter timetable, but came back for the summer. Nice stops at the end of next October, but again that may be a Winter/Summer thing.

Munich was cancelled awhile back. Bloody madenning, it was so useful. Now it involves doing a trip to DUBLIN, no thanks, or going Kerry - Frankfurt Hahn and driving on the Autobahn for 7 hours.
THE_Chris

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:11 pm

By the way, does anyone else want to strangle the idiots closing off one half of the tunnel for 3 weeks?
THE_Chris

Postby jungle » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:15 pm

THE_Chris wrote:Munich was cancelled awhile back. Bloody madenning, it was so useful. Now it involves doing a trip to DUBLIN, no thanks, or going Kerry - Frankfurt Hahn and driving on the Autobahn for 7 hours.

If you need to do it, your best bet is a connecting flight. I know someone who had to fly it recently and got it for E260 with a connection in Amsterdam. It does require booking a fair while in advance to get a price like that, but by booking it as a through flight, you get your bags taken care of etc.

For Munich, you can check out http://www.klm.ie (The KLM site can be fiddly, so make sure you look for all flights rather than just the cheapest) or http://www.britishairways.com . Czech Airlines and Malev can be worth looking at for other destinations.
jungle

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks. Yeah we looked into flying to Prague or to Linz in Austria. Linz was terribly expensive. Prague was cheap enough but there are issues with hire cars between Germany and Czech.

Connecting flights are probobly the best way to go, yeah. Still quite expensive though :( Munich was a great link, and everytime I used it it was full. Cant imagine why they got rid of it.
THE_Chris

Postby jungle » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:16 pm

THE_Chris wrote:Still quite expensive though :( Munich was a great link, and everytime I used it it was full. Cant imagine why they got rid of it.

Honestly, I think the A320 is too big an aircraft for a lot of routes. I suspect there are a number of routes out of Cork that could work with an aircraft the size of a Fokker 100 or an Embraer 190, but unfortnately the incumbent airlines at Cork Airport are either using A320/B737 size aircraft or turbo-props, which don't have the range.
jungle

Postby PVC King » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:55 pm

Jet Magic was a tragic loss
PVC King

Postby A-ha » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:18 pm

Thomond Park wrote:Jet Magic was a tragic loss

It really was a tragic loss. Their prices were high, but they got you from Cork to wherever direct. The leather seats and complimentary champagne went down well too. Remember that purple London bus that used to go around the city centre.
A-ha

Postby phatman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:21 pm

Yes, quite devastating...sob, sob. No seriously, you're right though, first easyjet and now jet magic...and when I checked out the destinations map on Cork Airport website, it struck me how few flights/destinations there actually are! Obviously the airport is of phenomenol strategical importance to the region, and not wanting to open that silly Shannon v Cork debate again...but anyway hopefully the new terminal will serve to attract a few new operators and increase frequency. As is the case with all new infrastructural projects though, at least in this country, one can be sure the airport will be overloaded before long, we never seem to be able to accurately assess predicted demand v capacity. Such developments generate significantly increased traffic on their own, be it novelty factors or whatever, with people going out of their way to use them.
phatman

Postby daniel_7 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:56 pm

more roads should be built to motorway standards in cork in my view as accessibility would be a big factor when companys are locating in the country and the government really needs companys to stop locating in dublin if there serious about cork being a counter balance! on the airport theres another indication that companies dont look at cork the same as dublin or evan the other citys when decideing where to locate as the airport does look like a really good place to do business and in the short term will have 5 mill passengers a year passing through it but yet theres no presence of a mcdonalds or burger king ect located there!same situation as ballincollig sc!guaranteed if this was in limerick, Galway or Dublin this would not be the case and i just dont understand this?whatever happened to lennoxs opening there aswell, that would of been good and unique for cork!
daniel_7

Postby a boyle » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:00 pm

daniel_7 wrote:more roads should be built to motorway standards in cork in my view ...

which ones ?
a boyle

Postby rebel_city » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 pm

Who wants another McDonalds / Burger King?? What's the point of having one in the airport - it's not at all unique! There's a Subway & Starbucks there now sure - that's bound to make the international travellers feel at home! There's a food market in the dept.lounge - so it sounds like it's a very unique airport all in all! Which certainly isn't a bad thing in my mind!
rebel_city

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:23 pm

a boyle wrote:which ones ?

Cork - Carrigtwohill is built to motorway standard as far as I am aware. I know thats not much, but its something :D
THE_Chris

Postby jungle » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:37 pm

THE_Chris wrote:Cork - Carrigtwohill is built to motorway standard as far as I am aware. I know thats not much, but its something :D

How does the Ballincollig bypass fall short of it?
jungle

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:20 pm

That would probobly count, but with the roundabouts there isnt much point. Maybe after they're all done (including freeflow Dunkettle) it might be worth reclassifying it. But I reckon it would make more sense to reclassify N8, N25 etc, where speeds of 120kmh might be sustainable, unlike a potentially Dublin-M50-esque South Ring :)
THE_Chris

Re: Cork Motorways

Postby A-ha » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:27 pm

I would imagine that some time in the future, the N25 from Cork to Midleton will be reclassified as a Motorway seen as much of it is of that standard anyway. It has been upgraded to three lanes in some parts and an alternative route is available (which is needed if a road wants to attain "M" status). What will the toll be to use the Fermoy Motorway..... it's €5.20 for lorries, what is it for cars?
A-ha

Postby A-ha » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Oh, and as we are on the subject of roads..... try and avoid the tunnel if you can, I was stuck there for just short of an hour today.They are doing maintenance works and there is only one lane open in each direction.The traffic was well beyond Mahon Point and was bumper to bumper in the tunnel.
A-ha

Re: Cork Motorways

Postby Angry Rebel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:16 pm

A-ha wrote:I would imagine that some time in the future, the N25 from Cork to Midleton will be reclassified as a Motorway seen as much of it is of that standard anyway. It has been upgraded to three lanes in some parts and an alternative route is available (which is needed if a road wants to attain "M" status). What will the toll be to use the Fermoy Motorway..... it's €5.20 for lorries, what is it for cars?

The County Council decided about 6 months ago (or thereabouts) that the Ballincollig bypass should have a limit of 120km/h. Obviously nothing has happened since then but it surely means that they will bump it up in the near future.

Not so sure about the Cork-Midleton road, the bit to Carrigtwohill is excellent but from there to Midleton is poor enough. Too many at grade junctions and crap surface.
Angry Rebel

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:50 pm

The at-grade junctions are due to be replaced with flyovers within 5 years as far as I know. That said, theres still a lot of local access so I doubt that section will be motorway anytime soon.

It'll be a moot point if they upgrade to 120kmh, but I cant see them doing that to the Carrigtwohill-Midleton stretch,

Id rather they build a new road somewhere else though than upgrade that. Its passable at the moment, but I'd rather a more needy town is bypassed than a fairly ok DC upgraded.
THE_Chris

Postby Micko » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:36 pm

I seriously think that the Glanmire - Watergrasshill section of road should be upgraded to motorway aswell as Cork to Carrigtohill. Ballincollig Bypass could easily be upgraded too.

Nice to see that the Kinsale Roundabout Flyover opened up yesterday.

Most annoying though is that you can't access the flyover from the Pouladuff road exit.
Micko

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland