Cork Transport

Re: Cork Transport

Postby browser » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:53 am

A-ha wrote:Air Baltic are operating flights from Cork to Riga for the August bank holiday week-end to provide an insight into the viability of the route. Also a new airline based in Gibraltar called FlyGibraltar has plans to start flights from the British Overseas Territorty to both Dublin and Cork from April 2007, although booking should be available by October. As far as I know, these would be the first flights from Gibraltar to any destination in Ireland.

That sounds great. Just wondering where you heard it though as I logged on to their web site a moment ago where there was no mention. Any idea how you would book it?
browser

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:54 pm

phatman wrote:Seeing as to land a plane in Gribraltar the main road from Spain has to be closed, one might appreciate that it's not the busiest airport! So I'm surprised at this move. :D

Thats awesome, and nuts :D

THE_Chris

Postby Hoggy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:50 pm

shanks wrote:I read on last night's Echo that a proposed route for the North Ring road is being announced. Does anyone have any details, or better still, a map?

I think the yellow route was chosen as the preffered route,this is the one furthest from the city which makes the most sense really.

The other route,not sure what colour it was,came very close to where I live so im happy they chose the most logical option...now when construction will start is another matter entirely!
Hoggy

Re: Cork - Gibraltar

Postby A-ha » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:19 pm

browser wrote:That sounds great. Just wondering where you heard it though as I logged on to their web site a moment ago where there was no mention. Any idea how you would book it?

I read it in the newspaper last week, and saw it again on Wikipedia (not the most reliable, I know). You seem to have done more than I did as I can't find a website at all. They are operating no routes yet, as they are a new airline, but they will start flights to Manchester and a few other UK destinations aswell. I forget where though. Give me the website that you logged onto.... I can't find any. Booking won't be available until October, so I presume you will have to wait until then. ;)

Also, from October 31, Ryanair will increase it's frequency on Cork-Dublin flights to 4 a day.
A-ha

Re: Gibraltar

Postby phatman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:51 pm

phatman

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:44 pm

Hoggy wrote:I think the yellow route was chosen as the preffered route,this is the one furthest from the city which makes the most sense really.

The other route,not sure what colour it was,came very close to where I live so im happy they chose the most logical option...now when construction will start is another matter entirely!

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/734326387.pdf

Heres a PDF with the route options. Not very big file.

Yellow one has the tunnel, will be interesting to see if they stuff a toll on it.
THE_Chris

Postby A-ha » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:43 am

Cork City Council is in talks with Irish Rail about opening a railway station in Kilnap, near Farranree on the Cork-Mallow line. It is hoped the station will be open in 2008 to coincide with the opening of three other stations on the Mallow line and the re-opening of the Midleton line as part of the Cork Suburban Rail.
A-ha

Postby mickeydocs » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:34 am

A-ha wrote:Cork City Council is in talks with Irish Rail about opening a railway station in Kilnap, near Farranree on the Cork-Mallow line. It is hoped the station will be open in 2008 to coincide with the opening of three other stations on the Mallow line and the re-opening of the Midleton line as part of the Cork Suburban Rail.

I've expected that station to open as one of the features that the new Goverment Offices were looking for was access to a rail connection (according to Lexington many many moons ago).

This is a very positive move for the area.
mickeydocs

Re: Cork - Gibraltar

Postby browser » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:49 am

[quote="A-ha"]I read it in the newspaper last week, and saw it again on Wikipedia (not the most reliable, I know). You seem to have done more than I did as I can't find a website at all. They are operating no routes yet, as they are a new airline, but they will start flights to Manchester and a few other UK destinations aswell. I forget where though. Give me the website that you logged onto.... I can't find any. Booking won't be available until October, so I presume you will have to wait until then. ;)

Sorry A-ha, I think we are at cross purposes - I should have been clearer. It was the Air Baltic news I was commenting on / querying not Air Gibraltar. Given Gibraltar's proximity to Faro I'm not too interested in that but Riga on the other hand........

Its Air Baltic's website that contains no mention (as far as I can see) of Cork.
browser

Postby A-ha » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Oh sorry, lol, I would imagine through a travel agent because I couldn't see it on their site either, but I really can't see why they would bother for one weekend, seen as there is no point forking out money for a few days advertising. You should ring the travel agent asap before all the tickets are gone, I'd say Riga would be a very popular route.
A-ha

Postby A-ha » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:24 pm

mickeydocs wrote:I've expected that station to open as one of the features that the new Goverment Offices were looking for was access to a rail connection (according to Lexington many many moons ago).

This is a very positive move for the area.

Agreed, anything that will take the cars of the road must be good, but what Government Offices are going there, it's the first I've heard of it. Where's kite by the way? He hasn't been here for ages.
A-ha

Postby Angry Rebel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:33 pm

Revenue Commissioners relocating from Sullivans Quay?
Angry Rebel

Postby daniel_7 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:23 pm

Revenue Commissioners relocating from Sullivans Quay?

Ya, construction should be under way, I think!
daniel_7

Postby Micko » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:38 pm

Both options for the Cork Northern Ring Road had a tunnel on the Glanmire end to preserve the "natural look of the area".

Anyways, I'm fairly interested as to what sort of a junction will be used where the North Ring Road meets the N8 north of Glanmire. To my mind, it has to be a similar slip road system as being used where the Ringaskiddy road meets the South Ring Road in Rochestown.

Sadly such foresight doesn't form part of the NRA mindset and I wouldn't be suprised if they went for some ludicrous roundabout laden mash of a thing being integrated with the Glanmire flyover junction.
Micko

Postby THE_Chris » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:54 pm

Hopefully they will realise their stupidity before, and make the entire north ring totally freeflow.

I'll make sure to send them an email asking this.
THE_Chris

Postby rebel_city » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi,

I was home in Cork last weekend. I drove back up to Dublin Sunday afternoon and I used the Mitchelstown by-pass for the 1st time. To be honest I didn't time it or anything but it didn't seem like I was saving time. Way too many roundabouts! The next time I go down to Cork I'll time it using the old way and then the new way. Traffic wasn't bad when I left Cork so it was hard to judge but I presume it has made a great difference to the town itself. I heard the Fermoy bypass will be a motorway! Excellent if it is! Does anyone know how long the journey from Crok - Dublin should take when the by-pass is completed?

As regards the airport, I rang Aer Rianta last week and was told the arrivals are opening tomorrow, then the charter flight arrivals/depts and all depts will be up and running around Aug.15th! I can't wait - I'm going to fly down when it's open!

Is there a new control tower being built??

A friend landed in Cork while ago from Dublin and texted me and said there are 4 airbridges in the new terminal!!
rebel_city

Postby shanks » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:36 pm

At night-time it would definitely be quicker to drive through the town. As well as the roundabouts, the relief road swings out in a very wide arc around the town. It must be 5 or 6 Kms in length.
shanks

Postby phatman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:28 pm

Yeah the relief road seems excessively 'roundabout', literally and figuratively. Should be renamed "Mitchelstown Scenic Route". Still, it's better to have it there of course.
phatman

Postby Pug » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:49 pm

rebel_city wrote:Hi,

I heard the Fermoy bypass will be a motorway! Excellent if it is!

it will be excellent, pity about the toll, looks very small at the toll bridge, hope it doesnt cause blockages.
Pug

Postby rebel_city » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm

I think the toll booths you are talking about are the one's which you see at the 2 small roundabouts before Fermoy - on the city side. I noted this too. If you're driving up from the Dunkellte roundabout after the "pink bridge" you can get a glimpse of the bigger toll booth. i think the small one is for those cars coming onto the new bypass from fermoy and the bigger booth is for those coming from the city. That's what I think - may be wrong. There's definately a bigger toll booth in place - multiple lanes I reckon. The motorway on the N4 I think from Dublin the "the west" has multiple lanes at the toll booth area.
rebel_city

Postby rebel_city » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:12 pm

Just found a siter called http://www.cork-spotters.com and on it there are excellent pics of the inside of the new terminal! It looks really well. The food court and seating area are hard to judge because of the shot taken.

Check out the pics on this link:

http://cork-spotters.com/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-289
rebel_city

Postby A-ha » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:34 pm

rebel_city wrote:I heard the Fermoy bypass will be a motorway! Excellent if it is! Does anyone know how long the journey from Crok - Dublin should take when the by-pass is completed?

A friend landed in Cork while ago from Dublin and texted me and said there are 4 airbridges in the new terminal!!

The NRA says that the new M8 Fermoy Motorway should cut up to 45 minutes off the Cork-Dublin journey during peak times..... which is probably likely seen as traffic in Fermoy seems to go on for ages at rush hour. It's really good to see that Cork will be the first county down south to get a motorway.... even if it will be tolled. I think it's supposed to be completed early 2007.
As for the airbridges..... only 1 has been fully installed, but the remaining 3 are "half installed" and therefore not useable for the time being.
A-ha

Postby GregF » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:51 pm

Any images of the new Cork airport terminal?
GregF
Old Master

Postby vanadder » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:23 pm

http://www.corkairport.com/index.asp

New website with photos of the new terminal.
vanadder

Postby Torquemada » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:25 pm

As well as the opening of the new terminal at Cork airport today, the official Cork Airport website has been updated too! Check it out at /www.corkairport.com/.There are a lot of internal photos on the site as well.It looks great!:)
Torquemada

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland