cork docklands

Re: cork docklands

Postby PTB » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:49 pm

It says in the Examiner that Centre Park road will have to be raised by 3 meters. Is this to stop flooding or what?

And will the trees be chopped down? It's one of the few tree lined avenues in Cork.
PTB

Postby who_me » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm

rofbp wrote:[url=http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/kfcwqleyidql/]
second article from examiner about the development[/URL]
independent's article here (less info than examiner)

Thanks for the links.

Funny how reading those links (in particular the Indo), you'd think the project was in an advanced state. Between this, Atlantic Quarter, the Origin development on Kennedy Quay and the new event centre on Albert Quay; you'd think the docklands were booming.
who_me

Postby who_me » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:55 pm

PTB wrote:It says in the Examiner that Centre Park road will have to be raised by 3 meters. Is this to stop flooding or what?

And will the trees be chopped down? It's one of the few tree lined avenues in Cork.

I'm not sure if it's due to flooding, or soil contamination (there probably have been all kinds of oils & chemicals seeping down into much of that earth for decades). If it is due to contamination, what happens if there is any construction in that area, presumably the contaminated soil would all be brought back up to the surface.

3m is a lot! How large an area do they mean?
who_me

Postby Springer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:24 pm

who_me wrote:I'm not sure if it's due to flooding, or soil contamination (there probably have been all kinds of oils & chemicals seeping down into much of that earth for decades). If it is due to contamination, what happens if there is any construction in that area, presumably the contaminated soil would all be brought back up to the surface.

3m is a lot! How large an area do they mean?

As far as I know finished floor levels in that part of the city have to be at 3.6m due to flooding risk.

There will be plenty of "fill" available when the Ghost Estates are demolished.
Springer

Postby ToMuchFreeTime » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Here is another image of the proposed development. cant seem to attach any images to this site, Or link to images from potobucket for some reason, but here is hard copy of link to image.

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/partygaming/inside-1.jpg

also front page if intrested

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/partygaming/front.jpg

And you're right there is a mountain of development lined up now, With no chance i think of starting anytime soon. Its still rater impressive all the same. If the economoy takes off again, Then there should be nice building boom going on right within the heart of the city. big job creator
ToMuchFreeTime

Postby rofbp » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:48 pm

who_me wrote: you'd think the project was in an advanced state. Between this, Atlantic Quarter, the Origin development on Kennedy Quay and the new event centre on Albert Quay; you'd think the docklands were booming.

i think the rose-tinted glasses are the only things in the country that don't have loans secured on them

ToMuchFreeTime wrote:Here is another image of the proposed development...
...And you're right there is a mountain of development lined up now, With no chance i think of starting anytime soon. Its still rater impressive all the same. If the economoy takes off again, Then there should be nice building boom going on right within the heart of the city. big job creator

that first picture was the one i mentioned from inside the paper, which held more interest.
i have 2 queries:
what is the large pylon/structure on top of the large building on the right? it looks quite blocky on the top, almost like a floodlighting pylon!
second, what is the structure on the far left foreground? it looks like a bridge at water street?

i'd like to see a render from this type of angle:
rofbp

Postby rofbp » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 pm

while looking for the picture above, i came across this image linked to google maps:

it appears to be of buildings in horgan's quay

anyone know their status?
rofbp

Postby barneymagee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:41 am

rofbp wrote:that first picture was the one i mentioned from inside the paper, which held more interest.
i have 2 queries:
what is the large pylon/structure on top of the large building on the right? it looks quite blocky on the top, almost like a floodlighting pylon!
second, what is the structure on the far left foreground? it looks like a bridge at water street?

i'd like to see a render from this type of angle:

Could simply be a design feature. The Elysian has what looks like a flagpole on top also.
The other thing to notice the next time you're in the area is all the mobile phone masts on the R&H Hall silos. When these are demolished there will be a need for the masts to be located elsewhere. I'd say many of the new tall buildings in the area will see masts on them.

Yea that image seems to be the Water Street bridge which they want to build after the Eastern Gateway Bridge.
barneymagee

Postby who_me » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:23 pm

barneymagee wrote:Could simply be a design feature. The Elysian has what looks like a flagpole on top also.
The other thing to notice the next time you're in the area is all the mobile phone masts on the R&H Hall silos. When these are demolished there will be a need for the masts to be located elsewhere. I'd say many of the new tall buildings in the area will see masts on them.

Yea that image seems to be the Water Street bridge which they want to build after the Eastern Gateway Bridge.

That building is quite tall, could it be that that 'needle'/pylon is to push it over the height of the Elysian, to become the tallest building in the Republic? (though, of course, by the time any of this is built, it may not be).

I like the fact that they've avoided going for a tedious row of 6/7 floor blocks along the river front (Dublin, I'm looking at you) but there's a lot of variety in height and shape. And that tower is a bit quirky. Chances are, of course, it'll be decimated in planning anyhow, and come out a boring 10 floor lump. :mad:

Also - isn't the Water Street bridge quite low in that render? Of course, it's just a render, and the angle could be deceiving too; but it looks far too low to let a lot of boats in. I don't know if it's planned to be a swing bridge, but they won't want to have to open the bridge every time anyone sails up the river.
who_me

Postby who_me » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:51 pm

A lot more information is now in the MCP planning application. Check out docs 13 and 15 particular in the EIS in for images and information on the layout. It's a very impressive proposal (and an impressive document!).

Link

p.s. the structure on the roof of the tower appears to be a wind turbine.
who_me

Postby ToMuchFreeTime » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 pm

For everyones convenience i've cut and uploaded the supplied images that went with the planning permission. I haven't had the time to go through the rest of the documentation but will do over the coming days.
ToMuchFreeTime

Postby rofbp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 pm

ToMuchFreeTime wrote:For everyones convenience i've cut and uploaded the supplied images that went with the planning permission. I haven't had the time to go through the rest of the documentation but will do over the coming days.

thanks!
is that the actual water st bridge or one the developers have stuck in to indicate the bridge's location?
rofbp

Postby rofbp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 pm

who_me wrote:A lot more information is now in the MCP planning application. Check out docs 13 and 15 particular in the EIS in for images and information on the layout. It's a very impressive proposal (and an impressive document!).

Link

p.s. the structure on the roof of the tower appears to be a wind turbine.

thats a delicate thing to engineer. hope its of practical of use rather than as a "statement"
btw, i've often tried to open those planning links on a mac, in safari and firefox, but it never seems to work. any suggestions?
rofbp

Postby barneymagee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:43 am

rofbp wrote:btw, i've often tried to open those planning links on a mac, in safari and firefox, but it never seems to work. any suggestions?

Yea it's annoying. Not sure why the City Council doesn't simply use PDFs rather than LizardTech (never seen anyone else use this).

From what I can tell I can only download the LizardTech plugin for Internet Explorer. There doesn't seem to be one for firefox or safari.

I use firefox as my browser. There is an add-on you can download called IE Tab Plus which opens a new tab within firefox but it's using the Internet Explorer browser engine. It means I can view the planning docs within firefox without having to start up explorer separately.

Not sure if the above will work on a mac though.
barneymagee

Postby browser » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Look it'll be years and years til built but I hope this gets planning now. Its a start if/when things do pick up.
browser

Postby thebig C » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Thanks for the post toomuchfreetime:)

Interesting renders!
thebig C

Postby who_me » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:30 pm

rofbp wrote:thanks!
is that the actual water st bridge or one the developers have stuck in to indicate the bridge's location?

I've seen a previous image (unrelated to the MCP proposal) with the same design for the Water Street bridge, so I think that is the proposed design alright. I'm not sure about the materials though.

Of course, until anyone has the budget to build the thing, any 'proposed design' is a bit meaningless.
who_me

Postby who_me » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

rofbp wrote:thats a delicate thing to engineer. hope its of practical of use rather than as a "statement"
btw, i've often tried to open those planning links on a mac, in safari and firefox, but it never seems to work. any suggestions?

Works "fine" here. (The document resizing is always a bit off, and sometimes the site seems to go down and you have to go back to the query page), but it works.

barneymagee wrote:Yea it's annoying. Not sure why the City Council doesn't simply use PDFs rather than LizardTech (never seen anyone else use this).

From what I can tell I can only download the LizardTech plugin for Internet Explorer. There doesn't seem to be one for firefox or safari.

I use firefox as my browser. There is an add-on you can download called IE Tab Plus which opens a new tab within firefox but it's using the Internet Explorer browser engine. It means I can view the planning docs within firefox without having to start up explorer separately.

Not sure if the above will work on a mac though.

The link at the bottom of the page states IE only, but if you follow it you can download a plugin that'll work on Safari on the Mac. PDFs would be so much simpler.
who_me

Postby opus » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 am

I read on boards.ie today that a €750m scheme for the docklands was granted planning permission but not sure where it was announced, anyone know? Not that I'd expect to see any progress on this for many years mind you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056381920
opus

Postby Angry Rebel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:39 pm

The images look like the ones put around for Wycherlys development on the Marina Commercial Park site (ex-Fords)
Angry Rebel

Postby rofbp » Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I spotted in the Echo this evening that Cork City Council have appointed REDscape and Okra Landscape Architects to design the Marina Park.
The REDscape website has some details and pictures: http://redscape.ie/project/redscape-and-okra-landscape-arch/
There aren't any details on the Okra website yet: http://www.okra.nl/

I know there was some speculation on the Pairc Ui Chaoimh thread on the setting of the stadium in the new park. I wonder if the pictures on the Redscape website bear any resemblance to the Scott Tallon Walker design for the stadium.

Is it my imagination or is the Atlantic Pond bigger in this design?

The REDscape website also mentions the other groups involved in the design:
Landscape architects OKRA and REDscape, in association with O Connor Sutton Cronin (engineers), Venhoeven CS (architects), Howley Hayes (conservation architects), Fehily Timoney (environment and ecology), Modus Operandi (art consultants), and Davis Langdon PKS (quantity surveyors) will work closely with Cork City Council on this project.
rofbp

Postby rofbp » Wed May 02, 2012 10:00 pm

From REDscape.ie
rofbp

Postby rofbp » Wed May 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Second picture: Pretty short on details

There's also a press release on the city council website: http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,53513,en.html
rofbp

Previous

Return to Ireland