cork docklands

Re: cork docklands

Postby darkman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:17 pm

http://www.atlanticquarter.ie/

Nice website........looks interesting.
Towers are designed by Foster + Partners - the same guys behind U2 tower.
darkman

Postby Pug » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:47 pm

jungle wrote:
For: Labour(x3), Sinn Fein, PD, Ind , Soc
Against: FF (x9), Green, Labour(x2), FG (x2)

So a few questions

interesting analysis jungle, fair play, Fianna Fail have major questions to answer along with ineffectual opposition
Pug

Postby who_me » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Another image I hadn't seen before, of the top of the towers. The design seems a bit more interesting than just tall cylinders. In fact, from that shot it looks like two waterfalls streaming from the top of them!

who_me

Postby Pug » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:18 pm

at the launch it looks like those waterfall things will have tree/shrub things going from the bottom to the gardens in the top of the towers - the designers were looking at blarney castle being surrounded by and becoming part of the green landscape apparently - just like the cladding on the elysian
Pug

Postby Super Q » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:45 pm

The towers are not cyclinders, more like three petals on plan, achieving duel aspect to almost all units. Not sure about the waterfalls though!
Super Q

Postby murfee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 am

According to todays Examiner, there has only been one objection to Howard Holdings Atlantic Quarter plan - from some residents in Montenotte - Surprise Surprise. I think its great news and shows how much we all want to actually see this plan happen
murfee

Postby Angry Rebel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:02 am

That's ridiculous...am I correct in saying you're not entitled to a view? So what are they complaining about in Montenotte?
Angry Rebel

Postby murfee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:14 pm

Angry Rebel wrote:That's ridiculous...am I correct in saying you're not entitled to a view? So what are they complaining about in Montenotte?

Cant see the planners taking any notice of this - wouldnt it be refreshing for permission to be granted without any unnecessary delays
murfee

Postby Pug » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:18 pm

absolutely, fingers crossed for that development, prob have to clear Bord Pleanala at some stage but definitely a smashing looking development
Pug

Postby nimbus 2008 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:45 am

Much lobbying for taxbreaks here which they say are critical to the scheme going ahead.

Can't see why our tax money should be given to these guys. If the project cannot make it in the market on its merits why should we be giving HH/Alleyquay handouts?
nimbus 2008

Postby missarchi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 am

agreed I mean people who buy these places have to pay body corporate fees for the rest of there lives....
missarchi
Old Master

Postby kite » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:25 pm

nimbus 2008 wrote:Much lobbying for taxbreaks here which they say are critical to the scheme going ahead.

Can't see why our tax money should be given to these guys. If the project cannot make it in the market on its merits why should we be giving HH/Alleyquay handouts?

Sure why wouldn’t the taxpayer throw HH a few million towards their docklands development, after all the City Manager proposed to sell historic Albert Quay House (next door to City Hall) to HH for the price of a modest 1 bed apartment i.e. 250,000 euro.
Thankfully Councillors Tim Brosnan, Chris O’Leary, David McCarthy and Jonathan O’Brien were wide awake and put a stop to what would have been yet another fiscal disaster for Cork. HH had to be satisfied with “buying” the site to the rear of said house for a bargain basement price.

A little further up the quays and the gateway to the Docklands, we sold Navigation House to OCP at a 4,000,000 discount so that our city officials would have the benefit of car parking. (I bet the car parking element of this deal will materialize, unlike the convention centre in Mahon the city residents were promised when we sold that landbank at a discount in 1998)

Again with Joe Gavin, it is a case of “do as I say, not as I do”

:rolleyes:Anyway, I am delighted we can help the major developers of the city; those helicopters don’t run on fresh air you know!!
kite

Postby murfee » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:23 pm

Dave McCarthy wide awake - now that's hilarious
murfee

Postby kite » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:41 pm

murfee wrote:Dave McCarthy wide awake - now that's hilarious

He saw it coming and was one of a handfull of Councillors to stop a potential disaster for the city. Fair dues to them.
kite

Postby who_me » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:34 am

Incidentally, if you check out the application here, you can see mock-ups of the development from almost every angle imaginable. The towers will make some impression on the city skyline!
who_me

Postby Steady » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Does the HSA submission on the HH application mean it will not be possible for the planners to grant permission?
Steady

Postby kite » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:17 am

Steady wrote:Does the HSA submission on the HH application mean it will not be possible for the planners to grant permission?

Not at all, EU directives and the Planning and Development Act mean absolutely nothing when it comes to planning in Cork.
Just think of all the lovely development levies the city will receive from such applications?
Why spoil the party on safety matters?
kite

Postby nimbus 2008 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:32 am

Steady wrote:Does the HSA submission on the HH application mean it will not be possible for the planners to grant permission?

What did they say?
nimbus 2008

Postby Pug » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:25 am

its usually just an observation to note that its a Seveso site or in the vicinity of one - shouldnt stop it once arrangments are made eventually to sort out those sites - which will need to be done at some stage by City Council
Pug

Postby kite » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:08 am

nimbus 2008 wrote:What did they say?

The Health and Safety Authority submission states:

“On the basis of the information the Cork City council has supplied to the HSA, and the information obtained from Alleyquay Investments Ltd. the HSA ADVISES AGAINST the grant of planning in the context of major accident hazard”

(capital letters as above used in HSA submission)
kite

Postby Pug » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:48 am

so they'll probably stick in a condition then
Pug

Postby kite » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:45 am

I think it very unfortunate for Cork City Council that all these Seveso sites appeared in the docklands overnight.
If our city officials and Councillors had advance notice that somebody was going to flytip these Major Hazard sites in the middle of the jewel of Cork’s crown maybe Joe Gavin could have instructed a litter warden to be on the lookout and fine them 125 euro. That would go a long way to pay for the clean up!!
If the contaminated sites were in place for say 30-40 years then our ultra efficient officials and Councillors would of course have begun the decommissioning process 8 years ago when the Cork Docklands project was launched.

;)Or maybe it’s the case of nobody foresaw John Gormley as Minister for the Environment!!
kite

Postby browser » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:48 am

kite wrote:The Health and Safety Authority submission states:

“On the basis of the information the Cork City council has supplied to the HSA, and the information obtained from Alleyquay Investments Ltd. the HSA ADVISES AGAINST the grant of planning in the context of major accident hazard”

As I understand it this Seveso situation will only really be sorted out once the City (or County?) Council nominates some poor god forsaken place as the future location for Seveso developments. Is this right?
browser

Postby kite » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:17 pm

browser wrote:As I understand it this Seveso situation will only really be sorted out once the City (or County?) Council nominates some poor god forsaken place as the future location for Seveso developments. Is this right?

Whatever site is going to be declared a Seveso in the future does not remove the very serious headache we now have to sort out.
If our officials and Councillors were to be held personably liable for future loss for granting planning against EU safety directives then this mess would have been sorted out years ago, BUT as always, if the worst happens and there is a liability issue it will be taxpayers money that will be spent / wasted while the decision makers will be spending their salaries / pensions / pay related bonuses on a golf course somewhere (hopefully well away from contaminated lands)
kite

Postby nimbus 2008 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:07 pm

kite wrote:The Health and Safety Authority submission states:

Thanks.

Do we know which of Cork's Seveso operations would lead the HSA to give that advice for this location?
nimbus 2008

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland